The Seale Trial

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 09:34 pm
I am taking no sense of retribution from this trial.

Seale was allegedly the perpetrator of a crime most heinous. He was part of a group who beat two young black men and then chained them to heavy objects and threw them, alive, into the Mississippi River. All this in 1964. I guess the others with him are dead by now. But none faced any real time in jail before now. The Feds turned the case over to local authorities, a way of making the crimes/cases disappear.

Thing is, this old man who looks as if he is made of clay has lived a full life since then. I appreciate the cases being brought before courts now - I understand that somethings need time to make them accessible. But what point is there in putting this man in jail now, for life. Life might be about 2 weeks. No, he should be tired, yes. Evidence should be brought to convict him or not. But to put this guyin jail serves no one. The idea is to gain understanding. To learn what happened. Not to send an old man (sick bastard that he is/was) to live in prison for his last days.

Seale on BBC
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 856 • Replies: 12
No top replies

noinipo

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 11:01 am
Some crimes are so severe that the guilty has to be punished to show the world that justice is done.
Not far from my town in Canada is a German who immigrated in the 50s and lied about his Nazi connection. During the war he was an interpreter in a unit in Russia that went from town to town and killed Jews.
He is now an old and rich man who goes to church and all that. The government wants to finally send him to Germany, where he will be prosecuted. Some say: "leave the old man alone".
His unit killed 40 000 innocent people, he did not pull the trigger but he helped. These crimes are so heinous, they have to be punished.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 11:36 am
I disagree. The man has lived in comfort since committing those acts, while the families of victems have borne the grief. It's a small comfort that he will spend at least a few years paying for his crimes. His body may be infirm, but, his mind still works the same.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 11:45 am
Sorry, I do not understand what you are trying to say?
Should he go to jail or not?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 11:49 am
He should absolutely go to jail.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 11:55 am
Yeah, you're both right.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 11:57 am
I don't like being right, but, justice must be served.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 02:05 pm
Thousands of innocents lost the rest of their lives. This guilty man should spend the rest of his life in a cell, thinking about that.
As for Seale, I remember the apartheid in the Southern States. Any society with so much guilt in the recent past should not lecture others.
Seale should not be swept under the carpet of infallibility.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 02:19 pm
I missed the lecture.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 06:07 pm
Cases like this is make me think: too little, too late. I like to think this guy might have spent his life haunted by his crime, but I doubt it. I don't think people like this can ever really understand the wrong they have done and few of them have any regrets other than the fact that they were caught. I like to believe that somewhere in the cosmic universe is real justice, and people like this are made to experience their crimes from the perspective of the victims and their families, but I have no evidence of such a system. We can only hope that humans will evolve away from the desire to do such evil.
In the meantime I hope he rots in jail.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 06:23 pm
He should go to federal ass-rape jail.

For one, if he's guilty, he should still go.

Two, if they let him go on the premise it's been too long, and putting him behind bars doesn't do society any good, that just sets the bar for future cases. That would just follow with the argument of where you draw the line...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 06:27 pm
Green Wich and Slappy
I agree completely.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 07:55 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Cases like this is make me think: too little, too late. I like to think this guy might have spent his life haunted by his crime, but I doubt it. I don't think people like this can ever really understand the wrong they have done and few of them have any regrets other than the fact that they were caught. I like to believe that somewhere in the cosmic universe is real justice, and people like this are made to experience their crimes from the perspective of the victims and their families, but I have no evidence of such a system. We can only hope that humans will evolve away from the desire to do such evil.
In the meantime I hope he rots in jail.

Greenwitch has said what I was trying to say, but in a much more coherent and well-written manner. Thanks (again)!
0 Replies