an initiator means plucky.

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 02:34 am
Hi everybody, my friend and I didn't reach an agreement about the

meaning of initiator. He insists that an initiator means a plucky or defiant

or brave man.

I didn't hear or read that initiator means the above.

What do you think about the word initiator meaning, Thanks for any help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 775 • Replies: 8
No top replies

username

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 02:42 am
I don't think I'd use any of those adjectives. An nitiator is someone who starts something or introduces something new--could be a game, could be a project, could be the kid who always has an idea of something to do when everyone else is bored. Could be a new way to do something at work. Depending on the context, it could also be someone who started a fight or an argument, someone who might have a quick temper and be quick to react. But that's kind of a specialized meaning and definitely not the connotation in all contexts. And that doesn't really fit his adjectives either.
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 02:43 am
I don't know if you know this, but if you don't www.dictionary.com gives you online definitions of a word from a lot of dictionaries.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 09:59 am
Thanks username, waiting for my friend reply Smile

This is important, what does the following mean,

username is an initiator.

Does that mean he's brave, plucky defiant or valiant? can it be right?
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 12:16 pm
Well, of course, username is plucky, brave, valiant, and defiant. That goes without saying. That's just the way he is. But it has nothing to do with his being an initiator.
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 01:17 pm
Initiator is not really a word that's used very mcuh in English. It's known generally, but probably not in wide day-to-day usage. To the extent it has any sort of connotations of character, it's probably when it's used to describe someone who starts a fight, who's alleged to be quick to anger and angers others. That's not plucky, valiant, or brave Could conceivably be defiant, but not necessarily. And that's only one, pretty rare, usage of the word.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 01:22 pm
navigator: Out of curiosity, are you able to read and understand all the replies?

Were you able to go the site recommended:
www.dictionary.com
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 10:13 pm
username wrote:
Initiator is not really a word that's used very mcuh in English. It's known generally, but probably not in wide day-to-day usage. To the extent it has any sort of connotations of character, it's probably when it's used to describe someone who starts a fight, who's alleged to be quick to anger and angers others. That's not plucky, valiant, or brave Could conceivably be defiant, but not necessarily. And that's only one, pretty rare, usage of the word.

Thanks username, I undersand and went to the dictionary site ofcourse.

But, my friend kept saying, " if it was it as I said, doctors would comment

or say something".

I myself convinved and sure that the above is an excellent explanation.

Thanks again.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 10:16 pm
Ragman wrote:
navigator: Out of curiosity, are you able to read and understand all the replies?

Were you able to go the site recommended:
www.dictionary.com

Sorry Ragman, I went there and read everything ofcourse. The thing is

that my friend is not convinced yet.
0 Replies