How to say ... in English?

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 11:32 pm
Hi, I speak english, and I can listen and write as well, but just not that good enough. So I wish I could post something on this topic when I wish I could know how to speak something in English, hopes you all can helps a little. Thanks in advanced. :wink:

How to say when we put something in the middle of other things, like we put cheese in between of bread. Here is the senario that describe what I mean, today I went to work by bus, and when the door is closing, there are a guy that step in, and he was *missing word* by the door. How to say that word I put as *missing word* ?

Thanks again.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,107 • Replies: 17
No top replies

username

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 12:54 am
I think you're looking for "sandwiched"/ "sandwich" can be both a noun and a verb. But I would be more comfortable saying "sandwiched between", as in "He was sandwiched in between me and the closing door", I'm not sure English would say "he was sandwiched by the door", without, as it were, the other piece of figurative bread. You might say "he was squashed by the closing door", without referring to anyone else.
0 Replies

stephensaw

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 01:31 am
"he was squashed by the closing door" , this is nice. Thanks :wink:
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 02:59 am
Jammed.

He was jammed between the doors.
0 Replies

stephensaw

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 04:31 am
Hmm..I see this is better than squashed, if I would like to say it in the other way, like the door something him , instead of he was jammed between the doors, is there any words for that?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 04:54 am
The door caught him
The door squished him
The door pinched him
The door squeezed him
0 Replies

stephensaw

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 04:55 pm
jespah wrote:
The door caught him
The door squished him
The door pinched him
The door squeezed him

Thanks jespah, I like the "The door caught him".

Another, what we call the thing came out under our eye when we not getting enough sleep, it is dark in color. Thanks again.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 04:03 am
Dark circles under your eyes (it isn't one word; it's that entire phrase).

And, you're welcome. Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 10:09 am
"Dark circles under the eyes" in slang is "bags under the eyes".
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 02:54 pm
Quote:
"Dark circles under the eyes" in slang is "bags under the eyes".

I disagree; these are two different phenomena. "Bags under the eyes" are puffy and swollen, and they can be a permanent feature due to old age or poor skin tone (costmetic surgery can remove them). Dark circles under the eyes are usually a result of tiredness or dissipation, are not necessarily swollen, and can be camouflaged with make-up.

That said, here's a little poem:

Mirror, mirror on the wall,
I'm sure that's not my face at all.
That one's somewhat baggy and the eyes are out of line;
Have I stayed awake all night with a face that isn't mine?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 11:16 am
Syntinen--

I Googled 'bags under eyes" and didn't find websites that made your distinction.

Here is a typical discussion:

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/5429.html

Do you feel that "dark circles" are due to wholesome fatigue and "bags" to licentious dissipation or old age?
0 Replies

stephensaw

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 05:27 pm
Hi, another words needed.

When we going up hill, maybe to some highland vacation places, and we can feels that some pressure is making our ears feels weird and some how we can't hear things loud. What is that phenomena called?

Thanks again Smile
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 06:45 pm
I think it's called "pressure in your ears". Seriously, there's probably a word for it, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone use it if there is. They just tell you to swallow hard or chew gum if you experience discomfort, without giving it a name.
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 06:47 pm
okay, I just did a google search and got "airplane ear", "barotrauma", and "barotitis media". Take my word for it, no one has ever heard of those names either.
0 Replies

stephensaw

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 06:49 pm
Hi, thanks username. I probably think 'pressure in your ears' and 'airplane ear' will be more suitable since even I mention 'barotrauma' and 'barotitis media' to other, they probably don't understand as well. Thanks mate. :wink:
0 Replies

BlueAwesomeness

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 10:20 am
I've grown up hearing that your ears "pop" when you drive into the mountains or whatever, but I'm not sure if that's just something my family says or not, because now that I think about it, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Has anyone else heard that said?
0 Replies

epenthesis

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 11:01 pm
Heard it said and heard it happen. Hear hear.

http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/ears/altitude.cfm
0 Replies

drover

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 02:05 pm
Would construct sentence differently
I would use the person and not the door as the subject of the sentence.
I'd also use the verb `trapped', if I was writing the sentence for a newspaper story.
So I would write (or say) `He was trapped by the door.'
The reason I would use `trapped' in a newspaper story is that everyone would understand what it means.
Even so, I like the idea of using `sandwiched'.
0 Replies