Music From The Outer Limits

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 07:23 am
I'm referring to the original show from the 1960s. I know that the music was written by Dominic Frontiere. In several episodes, most notably, "The Man Who Was Never Born" with Martin Landau, there is a piece of very pretty music bits of which are played throught, particularly in the scenes with Noel, e.g. Noel at the lake near the beginning. It sounds like it might involve a flute or something similar. All I can say is that if you're familiar with the episode, you'll know what I mean, and if you're not familiar with it you won't. My question is whether this particular bit of music was based on any pre-existing music or is completely original to the show.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,631 • Replies: 23
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 09:18 pm
I wish I could hear it. Can you find a clip from it on YouTube or something?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 11:04 pm
You are asking us if we know the history of a bit of music from a TV episode from over 40 years ago. I'm anxious to see if you find an answer!
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 01:07 am
Seems to me I remember "The Outer Limits" being out on DVD. If you read the end credits it might give you an idea. If your local library belongs to any library consortiums you might ask them if they have it or can get it, rather than paying the 40 bucks or so it's likely to cost you, which might be a bit steep for just the satisfaction of idle curiosity.
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 01:09 am
And try googling "The Outer Limits" you'll get at least one "official website" promising episode details.
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 01:10 am
But the damned thing tried to download something, which I quickly aborted--probably innocuous, but who knows these days.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 03:20 am
Actually, I'm not referring to all of the music from the show, I'm referring to this one very distinctive piece. I'm sure that Frontiere wrote it, but I'd like to know if it's adapted from something. Truly, anyone who is very familiar with the show will probably remember it.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 08:03 am
It just downloads a flash program. Totally harmless.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 03:25 pm
Get out your credit card, Brandon:

http://www.amazon.com/Outer-Limits-Original-Television-Soundtrack/dp/B000001P19
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 03:28 pm
Forgot, if you order it through our Shop, the site gets credit:

http://www.able2shop.com/search.php?query=Outer+Limits&mode=music&=Submit
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 05:50 am
Actually, I was asking a very specific question.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 06:46 am
There's a thread for this episode on TV.com. Maybe if you post your question there someone will be able to identify the music (I know, it's a long shot, but if you can't find a copy of the opening scene online somewhere, then it may be the only way).

Good luck.

Let me know if you find the music, I would like to hear it too.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 07:32 am
It might seem a long shot, but the musical passage you're writing about could be on that CD. Nearly all movie (or TV) soundtrack music is based on some past classical or jazz composition. If it was a flute passage, I would guess Debussy. I don't have all of the series but I could look to see if I still have that particular episode and play that section. I'm really under fire with work these days, so it might take me time to look. It's possible I donated those old VHS and I don't have the DVD's. The series has been telecast on, I believe, TV Land.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 07:40 am
Lightwizard wrote:
It might seem a long shot, but the musical passage you're writing about could be on that CD. Nearly all movie (or TV) soundtrack music is based on some past classical or jazz composition. If it was a flute passage, I would guess Debussy. I don't have all of the series but I could look to see if I still have that particular episode and play that section. I'm really under fire with work these days, so it might take me time to look. It's possible I donated those old VHS and I don't have the DVD's. The series has been telecast on, I believe, TV Land.

I would be fascinated to hear your reaction to this particular piece of music. Turthfully, this question has been in my mind since I was about 15 years old.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 07:40 am
rosborne979 wrote:
There's a thread for this episode on TV.com. Maybe if you post your question there someone will be able to identify the music (I know, it's a long shot, but if you can't find a copy of the opening scene online somewhere, then it may be the only way).

Good luck.

Let me know if you find the music, I would like to hear it too.

Not a bad idea. Thanks.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 07:47 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:

I would be fascinated to hear your reaction to this particular piece of music. Turthfully, this question has been in my mind since I was about 15 years old.

The other way to go about this would be for you to purchase the episode on DVD and them clip out a small section of it and post it on YouTube and let us all listen to it.
That would probably do it, but you would have to purchase the DVD (and not post TOO much of it on YouTube and violate a copyright or something).
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 08:20 am
rosborne979 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:

The other way to go about this would be for you to purchase the episode on DVD and them clip out a small section of it and post it on YouTube and let us all listen to it.
That would probably do it, but you would have to purchase the DVD (and not post TOO much of it on YouTube and violate a copyright or something).

I have the video. I wouldn't mind purchasing the DVD, since it's my favorite episode, but I don't know how to post a small piece of it to YouTube.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 08:28 am
You'd have to have a DVD burner to convert the VHS to digital and then upload the section from a DVD player onto your hard drive. That would allow you to again upload it to You Tube. Unfortunately, computers no longer have any analog inputs to transfer from a VHS player. I can copy from VHS to DVD on one of my pieces of equipement but if it's copyguarded, I could have a problem. Usually, TV series VHS normally leave out any copyguards.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 10:00 am
Lightwizard wrote:
You'd have to have a DVD burner to convert the VHS to digital and then upload the section from a DVD player onto your hard drive. That would allow you to again upload it to You Tube. Unfortunately, computers no longer have any analog inputs to transfer from a VHS player. I can copy from VHS to DVD on one of my pieces of equipement but if it's copyguarded, I could have a problem. Usually, TV series VHS normally leave out any copyguards.

I know how to do that, but I don't know how to extract a small portion to upload to YouTube.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 11:50 am
You don't have editing software? You should be able to go to that portion and excerpt it. You have to join YouTube and than it allows you to click on an upload button to add the data on your hard drive. I believe YouTube is free.
0 Replies