Ancient Greece

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 06:36 pm
Who here is obssed (or just about) with them? I for certain am. I just love Greek myths and history! (Am I a geek or what? Rolling Eyes )
~Em
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,038 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 06:47 pm
I was when i was just a lad. Have you ever read The Greek Way by Edith Hamilton, i'm sure you would enjoy it. You might also enjoy Mary Renault. She wrote a great many books based on Greco-Macedonian history, legend and myth. There was a trilogy of novels on Alexander III of Macedon (the one whom i refuse to call "Great"), and many, many very wonderful novels about legends, such as The King Must Die, The Bull from the Sea . . . so many good ones.

You can read a short bio of Miss Renault and see a list of her books by clicking here. It should be easy to get copies of her books from any decent library.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 04:08 am
Ah, I remember The King Must Die; we read it in High School. And Edith Hamilton! Like an old friend.

You might like to get to know the Romans, too, cellochick7 -- Tacitus, Suetonius, Plutarch. Robert Graves' I, Claudius is a good read to get you into it.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 12:59 pm
Many Greek myths are still relevant today. I love the Perseus/Medusa myth as related by Edith Hamilton.

http://www.toplumdusmani.net/resim/medusa5.jpg
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 01:08 pm
My preferred, no doubt, is Cupid and Psyche...

http://columbus.iit.edu/dreamcity/4/00022100.JPG
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 01:10 pm
My favorite would be Zorba.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 01:13 pm
That's ancient, for sure! Laughing
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 02:41 pm
Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 02:55 pm
Why would you fear them, George?

What you only need to do is never turn your back to them...
0 Replies

cellochick7

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 07:22 pm
I enjoy Roman history as well. It's no fair- my best friend gets to go to Greece and Rome next summer.
My favorite myths would have to be about goddess'- my favorite goddess would have to be Athena.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 07:28 pm
Setanta's recommendations are spot-on. Among the Mary Renault novels about Alexander of Macedon, I perticularly enjoyed Fire from Heaven.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:22 am
cellochick7 wrote:
I enjoy Roman history as well. It's no fair- my best friend gets to go to Greece and Rome next summer.
My favorite myths would have to be about goddess'- my favorite goddess would have to be Athena.

I also recommend The Metamorphoses by Ovid. It is the only source we have for quite a few legends. However, in the story of Arachne, Athena comes off looking rather petty and vindictive. That however, is one of the charms of Greek and Roman mythology and legend--just how "human" the gods are in their silly antics.

You can read the story of Arachne by clicking here. The author of this brief piece, however, has somewhat embellished Ovid's version of the tale, and i would be interested to know what she claims her sources are.
0 Replies