pick on, tease or bully?

kittylh

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 03:20 am
In middle school, boys always treat girls bad intentionally. For example, they may put a caterpillar in her pencilbox or pull her hair and make her cry. It's always because the boy has a crush on the girl.
I want to use a verb or a phrase to describe the boy's action to the gril. Which of the following do you think is better? pick on, tease or bully?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 683 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 03:37 am
This is a matter of perspective.

If the boy is doing what he's doing because he likes a girl, then he probably thinks he's teasing her.

If the girl is crying, she's probably feeling picked on or bullied.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 07:10 am
Primitive flirting.
0 Replies

eclectic

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 01:29 am
To me, "pick on" means someone says or does something to another person which is a bit mean, and might cause embarrassment, but would probably not cause a lot of emotional pain.

I use "tease" when one person is saying or doing something to another in a friendly or affectionate way (even if its putting a caterpillar in a girl's pencil case).

"Bully," though, implies that one person wants to hurt another person's feelings, or make him/her afraid. Sometimes bullying can be physical--pushing, hitting, pinching, punching, tripping.
0 Replies