I can't write this email...

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 10:54 am
At least, I've written it but I can't bring myself to hit "send." Thought I'd run it past you guys before I do.

There is a kid in sozlet's kindergarten class who I'll call Sally. She moved here right before school started (a lot of people do that). She had a hard time making friends at school -- she and sozlet mostly got along. Sozlet has maybe 10 good friends (playdates, etc.), this girl is one of them.

On their first playdate, at Sally's house, sozlet came home and wrote furiously in her (private) journal. I tried not to pry but she was definitely put out about something, and I thought I saw the word "Sally." It gradually emerged that she just didn't have fun but thought there was something bad about that -- she didn't want to tell me or E.G. She was hugely relieved when we said it was OK.

Nothing BAD happened, it's just that Sally was really grabby and bossy and sozlet plain didn't have fun. I didn't reciprocate with a playdate invitation.

When I'd volunteer at school, there often seemed to be episodes of grabbiness -- Sally would tell sozlet that she couldn't play with someone, sozlet would get mad and tell the teacher, the teacher would resolve the situation. ("Now Sally, sozlet can play with whomever she wants..." etc.)

A while later, Sally's mom (who I like) called and asked if sozlet would like to come to the pool with them. I asked her, she said fine (if not very enthusiastically). They went, it was OK -- there were more problems of the same type. (There were other kids at the pool that sozlet knew, Sally would interfere if sozlet tried to talk to them, etc.) I had expected that something like that would happen and before she left reminded her that she was there with Sally and should stay with her, she said afterwards that she did keep playing with Sally but Sally wouldn't let her pay ANY attention to her friends at all.

I didn't reciprocate that one either.

Then we went to a community event. Sally was there. Lots of other people sozlet knew were there, too. Same old thing. Sozlet went up to an old friend of hers, a good friend from preschool who she doesn't see that often anymore, and Sally got between them and when sozlet said something like "hey that's my friend!" Sally said, "you're lying, you don't even know him, you just met him." (I saw this part, it was with a ton of attitude.)

Sozlet was FURIOUS and came stomping back to where we were and told us what happened, Sally's mom talked to her (I didn't see what she said, exactly). Kept happening the whole time. Sozlet tried to play with other people, Sally'd run interference.

Sozlet was about as mad as I'd ever seen her by the time we got home, I really had to talk her down.

So I was cleaning up my desk and found a note I'd made of Sally's class list for next year (they won't be in the same class), because I knew Sally's mom was interested. I copied it down in an email and sent it to her. She wrote back right away, thanks so much and Sally is dying to have a playdate with sozlet, what would be a good time?

I asked sozlet if she wanted a playdate with Sally, she said NO. Emphatic.

This is what I've written (after some other general stuff) (name changed):

Unfortunately, when I asked sozlet, she said she'd prefer not to have a playdate with Sally right now. I'm not quite sure how to handle that. I want to respect her preferences, but I know that she can have fun with Sally, too. I think I'm not going to push it for now -- I'm sure the kids will see each other a lot this summer (pool, library, etc.) and sozlet will probably get over it.

I'd written a "well we'll be busy..." thing first but it just rang too false for me. Is this too bald, though? Keep things more general, then have the conversation in person? (Will probably run into them before too long.)

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,005 • Replies: 53
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 11:01 am
Ugh.

Direct is good. You're pretty sure that Sally's mom knows what the overriding issue is?

I don't think there's any question but that you have to allow Sozlet to have her say. You can't make her go (that would be cruel) and guilting her into it is not a good idea and not your style. So no play date, that's for sure, just how to say that so that Sally's mom understands and hurt feelings are minimal.

I might only add something like "you probably noticed last time they were together that...."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 11:05 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Ugh.

Direct is good. You're pretty sure that Sally's mom knows what the overriding issue is?

Yeah... as the problem continued, Sally's mom apologized -- "sorry Sally's being so grabby!" I made vague "don't worry about it" motions. (I guess I should have pounced on that.)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 11:09 am
sozobe wrote:
I'd written a "well we'll be busy..." thing first but it just rang too false for me. Is this too bald, though? Keep things more general, then have the conversation in person? (Will probably run into them before too long.)

I am a big believer in NOT putting things in writing that I might be sorry for later. I think that a general response is ok. When you run into the mother, you might want to go into more detail.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 11:09 am
I dont envy that position.

I had to write something like that not too long ago, but it was due to the fact that I didnt like the mom, not the kid.

The mom was bossy to MY child, telling her what to do, and saying you should say please and thank you... eat with your mouth closed...

all the while smiling up to me like she was doing me a favor.

Bleuch.

I told her that Bean and her child (X) had a few diffrences and that up to that time it was proving to be stressful on Bean because she didnt know X that well. She was uncomfortable and angry when playdates were over and I dont think I want to push another one just yet.
Thanks for the offer though.

and walked away from it.

ohhhh.. I feel for ya.. I really do.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 11:10 am
Nah. I don't think I would have either, though I fall victim too often to an impulse to reassure other parents. But if she's aware of the issue then that should make this somewhat less painful.

I feel sorry for Sally. The poor child is stuck in a cycle of insecurity now. She acts grabby, friends avoid her because of it, she becomes more insecure which makes her more grabby. Poor kid. Not your problem though. Sozlet has a perfectly healthy reaction in not wanting to be around her so you have to go with that. Sorry I'm not much help on the email text. I think you're going to have to take a deep breath, close your eyes, and hit send.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 11:14 am
I'm with FreeDuck on the "remember last time...." thing.

I think I'd say sozlet is still upset over what happened at the community event and she really isn't wanting to play with Sally right now. Explain that you'd like for the girls to be friends but you don't really know what to do. Enlist the other mom in helping resolve her daughter's behavior.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 11:25 am
I agree, I worked that in more explicitly. I think I'm closer to being ready to send it but will still sit on it a bit longer. (Will post a final draft before sending.)

I'm not sure what I think about making their friendship a goal. They won't be in the same class next year. They had a whole year of being somewhat-but-not-really friends, when they were in kindergarten, heavily moderated by their teacher. So I'm worried that if I enlist the other mom in resolving her daughter's behavior -- which I like as a concept -- it'd become this joint project that sozlet already doesn't have any patience for and seems kind of doomed from the get-go.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 11:33 am
I agree. If they're not a good match, they're not a good match. With any luck the mom can use this situation to help her daughter form better friendships with someone who is a better fit.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 11:37 am
Just tweaked it a bit more, this is what I have now:

Unfortunately, when I asked sozlet, she said she'd prefer not to have a playdate with Sally right now. I didn't really understand how upset she was about the stuff that happened at the [community event] thing until after we got home -- I really had to talk her down afterwards. I think if there are a few more incidental get-togethers that go well -- running into each other at the pool, at the library, etc. -- she'd be more in the mood for a playdate.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 11:52 am
shewolfnm wrote:
ohhhh.. I feel for ya.. I really do.

Thanks! Sounds like you handled your situation really well.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 12:04 pm
Ugh......

My niece was great friends with one of the boys in her pre-school classes. He and she played through the day and at recess and after school. His dad is a stay at home dad. She had 2 play dates with the boy and father (and the boy's little sister) at there home (several get-togethers happened outside of either home). For the first one, I stayed. The second time she went alone. She'd had reservations and decided she didn't want to do that anymore. She'd given it a try and just didn't feel comfortable with the dad. So, he keeps asking and I keep saying it'd be ok if the boy came to my niece's house (which he's done once). He declines. <shrug>
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 12:13 pm
That last one sounds good, soz. Let us know how it goes.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 12:54 pm
I think that last one sounds just right.

Mo is having an official "playdate" this week -- really our first one with a kid from outside the neighborhood. Should be interesting. "Hank" has been dying to come to our house for some reason.

Another interesting thing about it is that my mom outed Hank's dad as being "soooooooo cute". Mr. B gets all slanty eyed when Mo talks about having Hank over.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:00 pm
Quote:
Another interesting thing about it is that my mom outed Hank's dad as being "soooooooo cute". Mr. B gets all slanty eyed when Mo talks about having Hank over.

Heh!

Quote:
"Hank" has been dying to come to our house for some reason.

"Hank" has probably heard about Mo's totally cool bedroom!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:29 pm
sozobe wrote:
I'm not sure what I think about making their friendship a goal.

I think this is mainly for Sozlet to decide. What you could tell the mother is that if it's Sally's goal to become friends with Sozlet, the grabbing will accomplish the opposite of her goal. Friends respect their friends' freedom. I guess Sally's mother already knows this, but maybe you could ask her for her help in making Sally understand that.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 02:29 pm
I'm with Phoenix. If you're the least big uncomfortable putting something in writing, don't send it.

I'd just call and tell Sally's mom that Sozlet wasn't in the mood. Then don't call anymore and let the fledgling friendship die a natural death when school starts in the fall. No need for a potential confrontation. Sally's mom already knows what the problem is.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 02:30 pm
Yeah but in this case email conversations are easier for soz and are probably less prone to miscommunication. Otherwise I would agree.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 02:46 pm
Oh. In that case, just make it short and sweet.

"Thanks for the invite, but Sozlet has other plans. Talk to you later! -- S"

(Is there any possibility that you could restrict their playdates to times when they will play alone? Without other children?)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 03:13 pm
I don't have the perfect answer, but I may be able to help in another way. Whenever I ask for advice on A2K, I follow one simple rule that has never failed me, and I now pass this bit of wisdom on to you for no charge. It's a very simple rule, but it never fails.

Do the opposite of whatever Eva says.

You will thank me later.
0 Replies