The right to take his own life?

Chumly

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 11:33 pm
I note a certain "clockwork" predictability from you.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 11:33 pm
OmSigDAVID wrote:
If your point of vu [sic] were offered to the electorate
in a referendum, being opposed by that of 505,
who 'd u [sic] expect to win ?

Given its recent track record, I have given up hope that the American electorate will ever make an informed, rational choice. I would, therefore, expect it to make the wrong decision, just as you and stuh have done. I'll only add that you should consider yourself fortunate that literacy tests for voters have been abolished.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:03 am
joefromchicago wrote:
stuh505 wrote:
The shooter in this case is obviously beyond any type of rehabilitation and is a serious threat to other peoples' lives. It would be completely idiotic to waste money in an attempt trying to rehabilitate such as lost cause, and insane to release him back into the public.

Quote:
What if all that would be required to make Shooter a productive member of society
was to give him some medication?

Would you still want to terminate him?

Society already has enuf productive members; we don 't need one more.

The decent population has already been sufficiently afflicted
by psychopaths who 've forgotten to take their medication.
Thay r too dangerous to have around.

We have a right to be defended from violent criminals;
that 's Y we invented government.
David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:14 am
joefromchicago wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
If your point of vu [sic] were offered to the electorate
in a referendum, being opposed by that of 505,
who 'd u [sic] expect to win ?

Quote:
Given its recent track record, I have given up hope that the American electorate
will ever make an informed, rational choice.
I would, therefore, expect it to make the wrong decision,
just as you and stuh have done.

An an informed, rational choice does NOT involve self-sacrifice,
nor the sacrifice of one 's loved ones,
for the beneifit of violent predators;
( especially not demented ones,
whom the electorate shud deem the same as wolves or cougars ).

Quote:
I'll only add that you should consider yourself fortunate
that literacy tests for voters have been abolished.

For many decades I spelled the way that u do,
b4 I repudiated that paradime, as being offensive to sound reasoning,
in that it is inefficient, wasteful and abusive of children.

However, YOU r welcome to harbor waste and illogic
close to your bosom.
David
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:29 am
joefromchicago, I find your argumentative tactics to be morally reprehensible. That is, if you call slander and accusation and intentional misunderstanding to be "tactical." I have tried to reason with you, but you are clearly beyond reason -- and more critically, you are beyond respectful discussion and sharing of ideas. If there was an A2K block button, you'd be blocked now.

You may look down your nose at OmSigDAVID's writing style, but his posts are far more logical than yours.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:46 am
I had what I used to call " Abuzz capital punishment "
which meant that in rare and extreme cases,
if someone proved himself to be of ill temper
and chronically beyond the reach of logic,
I wrote him off and stopped reading his posts,
as a result of which, he disappeared from my world.
David
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 02:23 am
stuh505 wrote:
joefromchicago, I find your argumentative tactics to be morally reprehensible. That is, if you call slander and accusation and intentional misunderstanding to be "tactical." I have tried to reason with you, but you are clearly beyond reason -- and more critically, you are beyond respectful discussion and sharing of ideas. If there was an A2K block button, you'd be blocked now.

You may look down your nose at OmSigDAVID's writing style, but his posts are far more logical than yours.

Don't be shy -- the Firefox webbrowser can be extended with an optional client side "user ignore" function that works for phpBB boards like able2know.com. Install its Greasemonkey extension, download the "user ignore" script from userscripts.org, install it, restart Firefox, and you're ready to ignore.

In my opinion, however, killfiling Joe would be a mistake. I strongly disagree with him on politics more often than not. But so far, I have always learned something from trying to rebut his arguments, rather than being pîssed off and walking away. But it's your mistake to make, of course.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 02:29 am
stuh505 wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
To give an example: Shooter kills Victim because he believes that god instructed him (through the voices in his head) to shoot Victim because Victim is possessed by demons. Did Shooter intend to kill Victim? Yes, of course he did. Is he legally responsible for murder? Probably not.

Under our laws as they now stand, Shooter would be given medical and psychological treatment. According to stuh, however, we should "terminate" him because he killed someone and he can't tell the difference between right and wrong. I find that position morally repugnant.

The shooter in this case is obviously beyond any type of rehabilitation and is a serious threat to other peoples' lives. It would be completely idiotic to waste money in an attempt trying to rehabilitate such as lost cause, and insane to release him back into the public.

Why "obviously"? Why wouldn't you rather leave this decision to a doctor, rather than have legislatures write into statutes what seems obvious to you? And even if Shooter cannot be rehabilitated, why terminate him? Why not confin him in a closed pychiatric institution for the rest of his life?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 02:35 am
Thomas wrote:
Don't be shy -- the Firefox webbrowser can be extended with an optional client side "user ignore" function that works for phpBB boards like able2know.com. Install its Greasemonkey extension, download the "user ignore" script from userscripts.org, install it, restart Firefox, and you're ready to ignore.

It appears the third of my links doesn't work. The user ignore script has been taken of the webpage. Fortunately though, it is still available by way of the internet archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://s93731204.onlinehome.us/firefox/greasemonkey/phpbb.ignore.user.js

Because of the asterisk in the URL, you'll have to copy&paste it as a whole into your browser's address field. Sorry for the inconvenience.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 07:06 am
That's pretty cool...I have to check it out. I downloaded FX and that .js script, but how do you add users to the ignore list?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 07:16 am
Chumly wrote:

If that is a reference to Joe, the explanation is simple enough: he has a point of view, at which he has arrived through a process of applying logic, and therefore, he is prepared not only to state his point of view, but to defend it on a logical basis. That is not to say that he is always "right," and those who take an opposing point of view are always "wrong." Especially in matters of opinion, it is often not possible to arrive at a conclusion about who is "right" and who is "wrong."

I find your criticism ironic, though, no matter to whom you addressed it. My experience of your "rhetorical style" is that you throw comments out there, and then desperately attempt to defend statements which you appear not to have given much thought before making them. Your most common method, in my experience, is to supply personal and idiosyncratic definitions of terms in an attempt to twist meanings to support your point of view. I can see little reason to take criticisms by you of anyone else's rhetorical method very seriously.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 07:58 am
stuh505 wrote:

Somehow I'll have to find the strength to survive this blow.

stuh505 wrote:

That says a lot about you.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 08:16 am
stuh505 wrote:
That's pretty cool...I have to check it out. I downloaded FX and that .js script, but how do you add users to the ignore list?

If you restart Firefox with the script installed, a small "x" will appear to the left of the username in every post." You click it to hide a user's posts, and click it again to unhide them. You'll have to refresh the web page for the change to take effect.

Old Europe explains the process with some more detail in one of my threads, starting here. Earlier, in a post explaining the plugin for Firefox version 1.5, he has some screenshots of the desired result. (But Firefox is just stalling support for 1.5, so make sure to get the 2.0.x version.)

Good luck with your installation!
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 11:52 am
joefromchicago wrote:
High Seas wrote:
Joe - excuse me but I have trouble following your legal reasoning: in the US we force mentally disturbed or retarded prisoners to take medications until they're deemed sufficiently "sane" to be executed, right? In fact it's my recollection that until recently we used to execute the retarded without regard to their mental incapacity - precisely Stuh's argument as I understood it.

Stuh argues that the focus should be on intent rather than responsibility. That is far different from the current state of the law.

To give an example: Shooter kills Victim because he believes that god instructed him (through the voices in his head) to shoot Victim because Victim is possessed by demons. Did Shooter intend to kill Victim? Yes, of course he did. Is he legally responsible for murder? Probably not.

Under our laws as they now stand, Shooter would be given medical and psychological treatment. According to stuh, however, we should "terminate" him because he killed someone and he can't tell the difference between right and wrong. I find that position morally repugnant.

High Seas wrote:
At the very least they should be allowed to commit suicide undisturbed - at least in countries without the death penalty.

I agree.

Tks very much Joe - appreciated!

Stuh, whether that point of interest to you I don't know, but I (usually) defer to Joe on legal matters as he's a lawyer and I'm not.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:33 pm
Setanta wrote:
Chumly wrote:

If that is a reference to Joe, the explanation is simple enough: he has a point of view, at which he has arrived through a process of applying logic, and therefore, he is prepared not only to state his point of view, but to defend it on a logical basis. That is not to say that he is always "right," and those who take an opposing point of view are always "wrong." Especially in matters of opinion, it is often not possible to arrive at a conclusion about who is "right" and who is "wrong."

I find your criticism ironic, though, no matter to whom you addressed it. My experience of your "rhetorical style" is that you throw comments out there, and then desperately attempt to defend statements which you appear not to have given much thought before making them. Your most common method, in my experience, is to supply personal and idiosyncratic definitions of terms in an attempt to twist meanings to support your point of view. I can see little reason to take criticisms by you of anyone else's rhetorical method very seriously.

Your confused interjectory whining is entertaining. Not that it should matter to you, but it's a pun in reference to my post re: "A Clockwork Orange" and his response to it, so you are about as far off base as it's possible to be, and no not my latest post in which I refer to it, but the one prior in this thread.

As to your other drivel, it's not yet worth the response, given you appear to have exempted yourself from the thread in which you seemingly base your specious claims. Address my last post in the thread in question, and naturally my further responses in the thread in question, in the germane context, if you have the whereforeall.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 01:28 pm
High Seas wrote:
Stuh, whether that point of interest to you I don't know, but I (usually) defer to Joe on legal matters as he's a lawyer and I'm not.

That's fine, but I was not discussing legality with Joe...and my issue with him was over his inability to partake in a civil and cogent argument. I can be patient and repeat myself if somebody misunderstands me, but I am not going to stoop to the level of re-explaining things for Joe over and over when he always phrases his misunderstandings in an assaulting way. He always seems to have an unusually high level of obliviousness to my points which is tiresome.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 02:29 pm
Chumly wrote:
Your confused interjectory whining is entertaining. Not that it should matter to you, but it's a pun in reference to my post re: "A Clockwork Orange" and his response to it, so you are about as far off base as it's possible to be, and no not my latest post in which I refer to it, but the one prior in this thread.

A lame attempt from you on such a matter doesn't alter that you are attempting to suggest that Joe's positions are "predictable," which is easily explained by the undeniable fact that his responses are conditioned by having arrived at a point of view on a logical basis, which allows him to sustain his position on the same logical basis. You might be surprised to learn that i am unimpressed at your attempts to be witty, so i couldn't care less about your failed attempt at ironic humor with a referenece to A Clockwork Orange.

Quote:
As to your other drivel, it's not yet worth the response, given you appear to have exempted yourself from the thread in which you seemingly base your specious claims. Address my last post in the thread in question, and naturally my further responses in the thread in question, in the germane context, if you have the whereforeall.

You claim that it's not worth a response--and yet you respond. There is more than one thread in which i've seen you make goofy attempts to sustain an ill-considered remark by references to definitions, so you'd have to point out which it is that you are referring to. The last time i saw you do this until you removed all doubt as to what a fool you are in such mattes was your pathetic attempt to define capitalism. I saw no evidence in that thread that you had succeeded in sustaining your hilarious attempt to re-define capitalism, so there's nothing to which i need respond.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 02:37 pm
That's a lot of drivel under the false pretense of indifference, and an even weaker comeback as to the presumption of you being the arbiter of humor (given that the allusion to rehab has safely zoomed right over your head) and the arbiter of defining terms in the context given.

Address my last post in the thread in question, and naturally my further responses in the thread in question, in the germane context, if you have the whereforeall.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 02:43 pm
I am not claiming to be an arbiter of humor, nor do i see you as having any particular skill as a humorist. Ignoring failed attempts at humor is not evidence that anything has zoomed over my head.

Still working on your definition of capitalism, Chum?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 02:44 pm
As to your interjectory presumptions, knock yourself out if it helps.

It's an open question if you'll get the humor.
0 Replies