The right to take his own life?

dadpad

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:28 am
Bryant actually performed a valuable service for Australia in galvanising anti gun laws to a point where something was actually done.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:32 am
msolga wrote:
And what's the difference between allowing him to take his own life & state imposed capital punishment?

The would be same difference as the one between allowing you to give me money and me stealing from you. Or the difference between allowing you to join a secluded monastry and the monchs imprisoning you.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 12:24 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Chumly wrote:
If you adhere to the belief that society must have its due, then no Martin Bryant cannot be allowed to kill himself in a country that has exempted itself from capital punishment as the courts have decreed the punishment fits the crime. If on the other hand you adhere to the belief that society should not have its due and you do not believe in rehabilitation then Martin Bryant should be allowed to kill himself.
What does it mean for "society to have its due?"

4. rightful; proper; fitting http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/due

In this case the belief that society must have its due as decreed by the courts of the land.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 12:36 pm
Chumly wrote:
In this case the belief that society must have its due as decreed by the courts of the land.

Then society is getting its due. It's owed life imprisonment, and it gets life imprisonment -- whether the life is ended by suicide, by an appendicitis, or by dementia.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 12:49 pm
Francis wrote:
Is suicide a crime in Australia? Shocked
Judge for yourself.
Quote:
In Australia, to commit suicide (successfully) is not against the law. However to attempt to commit suicide (and fail) is against the law.
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/35541

Quote:
In Australia, the criminal law concerning suicide varies according to the jurisdiction in question. In all jurisdictions, suicide is no longer a crime and, except in the Northern Territory, the crime of attempted suicide has also been abolished. It is, however, still an offence for a person to assist another person to commit suicide or to attempt to commit suicide (the precise wording differs according to the jurisdiction) (Australian Institute of Criminology).
http://www.mcsp.org.au/suicide/questions.lasso
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:08 pm
Thomas wrote:
Chumly wrote:

Then society is getting its due. It's owed life imprisonment, and it gets life imprisonment -- whether the life is ended by suicide, by an appendicitis, or by dementia.
I guess the question then becomes do the courts have control of a convict's life-span, and I would answer (narrowly)yes as in the case of capital punishment, and (narrowly) yes in the case of legal decisions that affect the penal system's inmate's living conditions and thus health.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:10 pm
Chumly wrote:
I would answer yes in the case of capital punishment, and yes in the case of legal decisions that affect the penal system's inmate's living conditions and thus health.

On what basis would you answer that?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:11 pm
Chumly wrote:
4. rightful; proper; fitting http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/due

Perhaps I needed to be more specific. What does it mean for "society to have its due" in this case? In other words, what is "society's due" when a murderer is given a life sentence in prison?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:18 pm
What is "society's due"?

I don't know what that would be in idealized ethical terms* but I will say that in this case at this time it's going to be what the courts have decreed, that being life imprisonment. I can't represent society nor can I represent the courts.

*On further thought I suggest that rehabilitation would be the idealized ethical goal. Now you're going to ask me what I mean by "rehabilitation" and "idealized ethical goal" so I'll answer in part by pointing to the film "A Clockwork Orange" as a solution that went awry, but still suggests some promise.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:36 pm
Chumly wrote:
What is "society's due"?

I don't know what that would be in idealized ethical terms* but I will say that in this case at this time it's going to be what the courts have decreed, that being life imprisonment. I can't represent society nor can I represent the courts.

Well then Thomas's point is correct. If all society is due is a jail term that ends in the prisoner's death, then the manner of that prisoner's death shouldn't matter at all.

Chumly wrote:
*On further thought I suggest that rehabilitation would be the idealized ethical goal. Now you're going to ask me what I mean by "rehabilitation" and "idealized ethical goal" so I'll answer in part by pointing to the film "A Clockwork Orange" as a solution that went awry, but still suggests some promise.

You're mistaken. I wouldn't have asked you that question.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:39 pm
sozobe wrote:
The main problem I see if this is given some sort of official blessing is not what would happen in THIS case but the precedent. Seems way too easy for prison officials to arrange for various problematic cases to "want" to commit suicide, and then go ahead and help them do it...

That's a good point -- but it's an anti-mobbing point about the prison officials, not a right-to-commit-suicide point about the inmate.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:42 pm
Re: The right to take his own life?
Quote:
Martin Bryant is serving 35 life sentences for the 1996 killings of 35 people at Tasmania's historic Port Arthur penal settlement, in the world's worst mass murder by a lone gunman.

What the hell is a penal settlement?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:50 pm
Re: The right to take his own life?
kickycan wrote:
What the hell is a penal settlement?

At the beginning, the whole Australia...
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 02:01 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Chumly wrote:
What is "society's due"?

Well then Thomas's point is correct. If all society is due is a jail term that ends in the prisoner's death, then the manner of that prisoner's death shouldn't matter at all.
By that argument if the jail term ends in capital punishment that's OK, however I did not say that was the case. Nor would I agree that if incarceration was tantamount to a quick dealt death sentence as I discussed prior.
joefromchicago wrote:
You're mistaken. I wouldn't have asked you that question.
Don't spoil my imagery :wink:
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:32 pm
Thomas wrote:
Chumly wrote:
I would answer yes in the case of capital punishment, and yes in the case of legal decisions that affect the penal system's inmate's living conditions and thus health.

On what basis would you answer that?
Sorry my mom in law has gone to the hospital and I don't have the focus to remember where I was going with this, sad days may be ahead Sad
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 09:32 pm
I've been reading this with interest.

Chumly, I hope things aren't as bad as you fear they might be.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 12:39 am
Chumly wrote:
Sorry my mom in law has gone to the hospital and I don't have the focus to remember where I was going with this, sad days may be ahead Sad

I'm sad to hear this. All the best for your mother.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 06:38 am
Diane wrote:
I've been reading this with interest.

Yes, me too.
Really interesting perspectives.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 06:40 am
I hope your mother-in-law's OK, Chumly.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 08:10 am
Chumly wrote:
By that argument if the jail term ends in capital punishment that's OK, however I did not say that was the case.

Of course that's not the case. We're talking about life sentences here, not death sentences.

Chumly wrote:
Nor would I agree that if incarceration was tantamount to a quick dealt death sentence as I discussed prior.

I can't make sense of this sentence. Please explain.
0 Replies