The right to take his own life?

Chumly

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 01:38 pm
My mother-in-law's OK although her front door has been pretty much destroyed by the emergency crew trying to get in. She was not able to get off the floor and lay there for some time while talking to the local pharmacy whom it would appear overreacted by calling Emergency on her behalf. For reasons that don't make a lot of sense, she says our home phone number would not work and she did not call our cell phone number at all.

She is back home as all seems well enough for the moment.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 01:45 pm
You wrote
joefromchicago wrote:
If all society is due is a jail term that ends in the prisoner's death, then the manner of that prisoner's death shouldn't matter at all.
Taken as written your sweeping generalization does not preclude capital punishment after incarceration has begun.

You wrote
joefromchicago wrote:
I can't make sense of this sentence. Please explain.
As referred to earlier here
Chumly wrote:
Nor would I agree that if incarceration was tantamount to a quick dealt death sentence as I discussed prior.
and here
Chumly wrote:
………the penal system's inmate's living conditions and thus health.
There are/were some prisons, in some countries, in some time periods, in which going to prison could likely be the equivalent of a death sentence due to poor treatment and/or torture leading to an untimely death.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 02:25 pm
Chumly wrote:
You wrote
joefromchicago wrote:
If all society is due is a jail term that ends in the prisoner's death, then the manner of that prisoner's death shouldn't matter at all.
Taken as written your sweeping generalization does not preclude capital punishment after incarceration has begun.

Of course it precludes capital punishment. That I did not specifically exclude execution doesn't mean that I considered it a possibility. In a discussion about life sentences, the death sentence is simply not an option. There is, therefore, no need to exclude it, since it is excluded by the terms of the discussion, and anyone paying attention would have recognized that. If you can't keep up with the tempo of this thread, you might want to consider sitting this one out.

Chumly wrote:
There are/were some prisons, in some countries, in some time periods, in which going to prison could likely be the equivalent of a death sentence due to poor treatment and/or torture leading to an untimely death.

I wasn't aware that the Australian penal system was so barbaric.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 06:37 pm
Still reading along with interest ....

(Good to hear that your mother-in-law is OK, Chumly. That sounded a frightening episode. Phew.)
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 09:14 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Chumly wrote:
You wrote
joefromchicago wrote:
Of course it precludes capital punishment. That I did not specifically exclude execution doesn't mean that I considered it a possibility. In a discussion about life sentences, the death sentence is simply not an option. There is, therefore, no need to exclude it, since it is excluded by the terms of the discussion, and anyone paying attention would have recognized that. If you can't keep up with the tempo of this thread, you might want to consider sitting this one out.
You made the claim that "the manner of that prisoner's death shouldn't matter at all" and now you're simply trying to dodge the fact that your sweeping generalization is in error of your intent. Too bad for you, if you can't keep up with the scope of this thread, you might want to consider sitting this one out. That you go on to say "In a discussion about life sentences, the death sentence is simply not an option" is another load of backpedaling, laws can and do change and/or the convict may commit a crime once incarcerated that embraces the death penalty. I recommend you say what you mean. I even prefaced my text with "taken as written" and you still lunk-headed your way through like a bull in a china shop.
Chumly wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
I wasn't aware that you were the Thread Police. And in that tempestuous tempest in a teapot role, you preside over your artifice of a kingdom of myopic relevance; now where did you put your clothes oh great emperor joefromchicago?

As you seem to have forgotten the title of this thread it is "The right to take his own life?" not joefromchicago's version of what he deems relevant to his understanding of the implications of life sentencing within the context of the Australian penal system.

Chumly kicks ass!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 10:48 pm
Chumly wrote:
Chumly kicks ass!

(Now you know why I was happy to pose this question (which really interests me) but said I probably wouldn't be participating much in the debate. I just don't have it go through what you guys go through in the process of a good argument! Too stressful. But you obviously enjoy this! Why this is so is a complete & utter mystery to me, but carry on! :wink:)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 08:10 am
Chumly wrote:
You made the claim that "the manner of that prisoner's death shouldn't matter at all" and now you're simply trying to dodge the fact that your sweeping generalization is in error of your intent. Too bad for you, if you can't keep up with the scope of this thread, you might want to consider sitting this one out.

I didn't make a "sweeping generalization." I made a statement that, in the context of this discussion, was limited to the kind of situation presented in the original post. If you're too dense to understand that, then it is beyond my powers to help you.

Chumly wrote:
That you go on to say "In a discussion about life sentences, the death sentence is simply not an option" is another load of backpedaling, laws can and do change and/or the convict may commit a crime once incarcerated that embraces the death penalty.

Not in Australia.

Chumly wrote:
I wasn't aware that you were the Thread Police. And in that tempestuous tempest in a teapot role, you preside over your artifice of a kingdom of myopic relevance; now where did you put your clothes oh great emperor joefromchicago?

STEP AWAY FROM THE THESAURUS! Really, you might hurt yourself or others.

Chumly wrote:
As you seem to have forgotten the title of this thread it is "The right to take his own life?" not joefromchicago's version of what he deems relevant to his understanding of the implications of life sentencing within the context of the Australian penal system.

If you want to deviate from the topic of the thread, that's your business. Just don't criticize others who choose to stick with it.

Chumly wrote:
Chumly kicks ass!

What you do in your spare time is of no concern to me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 08:36 am
joefromchicago wrote:

At one time, it was that barbaric. However, that was in limited areas. Van Diemans Land was sufficiently brutal that after the abolition of the penal colony, they changed the name to Tazmania. Norfolk Island was also considered particularly brutal--although we don't consider Norfolk Island to be a part of Australia today, it was a part of the system once, and those deemed incorrigible in the main penal colony were sent there--once resulting in a briefly successful convict rebellion. Port Macquarie had a similarly bad reputation, as it was originally a remote settlement, and was used to grow sugar cane, a particularly arduous labor requirement--that when combined with the brutality of the commander of the garrison and prison camp, made it a by-word for a while for great brutality.

On the whole, it is incredible to me that the penal system was run so casually and successfully. The First Fleet in 1788, landing at Botany Bay, had all it could do for the warders, garrison and Governor to survive along with the convicts. The system worked when convicts were given an extraordinary personal freedom, and even if some of the handful of colonists and prosperous ticket of leave men were brutal to convicts, the convicts usually lived in far less harsh conditions than existed in England at the time, or in the United States or British North America. I cannot recommend too highly The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes.

Of course, it is very likely that Joe's remark concerns itself only with the nation of Australia, after it became a dominion (1901? That's close if not exactly accurate). It is worth noting, however, the Australia may well have a different attitude to penal servitude and the death penalty precisely because of its origin.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 09:06 am
Setanta wrote:
Of course, it is very likely that Joe's remark concerns itself only with the nation of Australia, after it became a dominion (1901? That's close if not exactly accurate).

Geez, I didn't think I'd have to explain myself, but I guess I do. All right, all of my remarks in this thread are premised on the following:
    That we are talking about the kind of situation described in the opening post: a prisoner with a life sentence and no chance of parole, [i]today[/i], in a country that does not have capital punishment and that [i]never will have capital punishment[/i].
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 09:26 am
Don't take offense, Joe, i was pointing this out precisely because i know Chumly's methods, and he will always try to muddy the waters in such a debate. I was just stealing his thunder, so that he doesn't come back to try to defend his specious point by references to Australia when it was a penal colony, before it became an independent nation.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 10:33 am
Re: The right to take his own life?
msolga wrote:
Dr Philip Nitschke is a leading Australian "right to die" advocate. He argues Bryant's ongoing incarceration amounts to "torture" & given that he will never be released, he should have the right to kill himself, if this is what he wants.

Of course it is torture. That's what prison is for: torturing people. Don't make the mistake of thinking that prison is about rehabilitation or making the streets safe. If it was about making the streets safe, we would not have such a thing as "life imprisonment"...instead, we push the bounds of morality my forcing people to survive a life of torture, even though it costs us a pretty penny to do it. That is the price of revenge. And it's certainly not about rehabilitation. That would be way too much work. No, it is about fear and torture and revenge.

As far as the right to die goes, it should be an inalienable right of all free people. That physician-assisted suicide is illegal in most states is a disgrace to our nation.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 06:28 pm
Finally, stuh got right to the heart of the matter by stating that the penal system in most countries if for torture and revenge, any other words are basically PR.

And, the right to choose when to die is an inalienable right for all free people and that it is disgraceful for it to be a crime.

For a world view, that as close as it gets.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 09:16 pm
[puts Diane onto his good person list]
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 10:27 pm
And for that I will bake some of my famous Alice B. Toklas brownies for you.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 06:42 am
Diane wrote:
And for that I will bake some of my famous Alice B. Toklas brownies for you.

Aw, that's nice, Diane! Very Happy

I agree with you both that penal systems appear not to be about rehabilitation at all. I think, in Martin Bryant's case, they've locked him up forever for punishment & I also for the safety other people. It surely must feel like torture to know that it really looks like being forever. I'm not 100% sure though, about where I stand on state assisting him to end his own life .... though I fully understand why he might want to end it.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 04:56 pm
To take something
is to receive it into his possession
from circumstances wherein it was not previously
in his possession.

It is like thinking of someone taking his own hands.

He CANNOT take his own life
because he already HAS his own life.

The issue is whether he can or shud END his own life.

David
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 06:06 pm
stuh505 wrote:
msolga wrote:
Dr Philip Nitschke is a leading Australian "right to die" advocate. He argues Bryant's ongoing incarceration amounts to "torture" & given that he will never be released, he should have the right to kill himself, if this is what he wants.

Of course it is torture. That's what prison is for: torturing people. Don't make the mistake of thinking that prison is about rehabilitation or making the streets safe. If it was about making the streets safe, we would not have such a thing as "life imprisonment"...instead, we push the bounds of morality my forcing people to survive a life of torture, even though it costs us a pretty penny to do it. That is the price of revenge. And it's certainly not about rehabilitation. That would be way too much work. No, it is about fear and torture and revenge.

As far as the right to die goes, it should be an inalienable right of all free people. That physician-assisted suicide is illegal in most states is a disgrace to our nation.

That's right.

And this man is not free.

Thus, he no longer gets to pick and choose whether he wants to die or not with assistance.

He gave up that right when he slaughtered those people.

This man isn't smart. In fact, what dlowan posted said he is very close to being - to put it bluntly - mentally challenged.

Efforts were made, many many efforts, to improve his quality of life in prison.

The therapy, the 'rehab' programs, being fed, having a warm place to sleep: that is a lot more than many people get in this world.
He gets it - after killing people and causing so much pain.

His life is sad, but helping him to kill himself doesn't make sense under the circumstances, except to say "We don't know what else to do! He's miserable, we can't help him, and it would be so much easier if he would just die. "

That's what it comes down to. No one knows what to do with him. If he were to die, it would be over.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 06:24 pm
mushypancakes wrote:
stuh505 wrote:
msolga wrote:

Quote:
That's right.

And this man is not free.

Thus, he no longer gets to pick and choose whether he wants to die or not with assistance.

He gave up that right when he slaughtered those people.

If he wanted to commit suicide,
he shud have done it
BEFORE
he killed those other people.

Quote:
If he were to die, it would be over.

Well,
THAT applies to free and innocent people too.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 06:28 pm
stuh505 wrote:
msolga wrote:

As far as the right to die goes, it should be an inalienable right of all free people.
That physician-assisted suicide is illegal in most states is a disgrace to our nation.

Very well expressed;
so stipulated.
David
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 06:29 pm
I wish you wouldn't shout, OmSigDAVID.
0 Replies