How to Stop Stomach Rumbling in Exam??

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 12:31 pm
@Baytree,
Baytree wrote:

I think a lot of people get a nevouse tummy in exams and or lectures etc. I have found that Kaolin and Morphine helps a little in calming my stomach ...

You do realize that at least in the United States morphine is a controlled substance for a reason. It's an addictive opiate if abused.
0 Replies

TommyTomato

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 02:49 am
To everyone who hates sitting in lectures and exams and worrying about what noises their stomach is going to make please read this because I want to help.
After an extremely competitive selection process for Veterinary Science, I found that my stomach would start rumbling and burping even though I had eaten not long ago. I wasted hundreds of dollars on pre-biotics and all sorts of stuff I had read about on the internet but after about 18 months of being very unhappy and unhelpful doctors appointments I went to a gastroenteroligist and he prescribed me a low dose of an anti-anxiety/depression medication called Dopress, it made a huge change straight away. I made a conscious effort to eat really slowly, chew my food properly and drink carefully. Now I hardly worry about making noises in class at all. It turns out I had been swallowing air when I was stressed out.
I searched the internet for ages and ages looking for help and wish I had found a post like this so hopefully this helps even one person. Just don't get so stressed! Life shouldn't be like that. For what it matters I didn't get into vet but I had to except that I couldn't cope with that sort of stress.
The drug I take is called Dopress 25mg, it is a TCA.
All the best!
0 Replies

littlemissgiggles165

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 10:27 am
@xNat24x,
Thats exactly the same as me! My Stomach always rumbles when the room I am in is silent which is really embarrassing and it means when I do exams I feel really ill before them because I'm worried that it will rumble. I find eating before exams makes me feel sick so I have to force myself to eat but that doesn't stop my stomach from making noises Sad
0 Replies

Princess-Piano

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 09:02 am
Hi everyone,

I have had this problem for years, it is so embarrasing! I have now got quite a complex about it!

I find that if I drink water when my stomach rumbles it stops it for a while. So now I make sure I take a big bottle of water into exams with me and this has really helped.

By the way if your stomach is making noises when you've already eaten, it could be a symptom of IBS...I went to the doctor and got a prescription for Fybogel Mebeverine, this has also helped me a lot :-)

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 09:49 am
@Princess-Piano,
Welcome to a2k PrincessP.

Water seems to temporarily dilute the digestive system's overflow of acid and hormones, etc.... Sounds like the right direction.

I wonder how much this embarrassing systematic affliction has to do with the body's trying to work out the overflow of stress hormones that have flooded the body because of the exam process. It could be that after millenia of evolution have tailored a self defense mechanism of sorts that evolution having devised fight or flight reactions for all sorts of species for a reason and here the student has to stay in one place and afflict oneself with all this stress and one's body and instincts are trying to tell you and your body to run away from the source of stress as fast as possible.

I wonder if one had a way to prepare oneself in terms of lessening the stressful nature of these tests then these hormone based fight or flight reactions could be lessened. But then again isn't that goal the holy grail of all students and schools to make school a less stressful and more hospitable learning environment?

While we're at trying to solve the impossible we might as well try to solve world hunger, cure cancer, and bring peace to the middle east.... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

simonaderson

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 05:37 am
@honey rose cr,
hi.................
i suggest; Drink a large glass of water or some other drink that you might like. Thats probably the only legitimate way you could stop your stomach rumbling without eating.
thanks
0 Replies

Biscuit

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 12:36 pm
@xNat24x,
OMG somebody else going through the same thing as me - it actually controls my life - so glad I have found somebody who feels the same as me
amberwood

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 01:35 pm
I have had the same problem for the past year and it was starting to take over my life. I even didn't go to lectures because I was so worried about it rumbling even though I know it's stupid and no one actually cares. I had to leave one of my exams 20 minutes early because of it once and didn't get to read through my paper again.

I adore sandwiches and ate them all the time and I think it's (brown - but white would probably be the same) bread that may have been what was causing most of my rumbling. I bought some Irish soda bread (which doesn't contain YEAST) not long ago just for a change and I have noticed my stomach rumbling LOADS LESS. Am in the middle of my exams now and have found that eating that, or not eating bread and eating SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE has cured me! It only started to rumble towards the end of my last 3-hour exam and everyone else's was rumbling too.

It could be something as simple as that! The day after drinking alcohol it always rumbles too (again, this could be yeast in the beer).

Hope this helps someone! I'm ecstatic that I've found this out, I thought these exams were going to be terrible but I reckon I can actually just focus on doing the exam properly instead of worrying about my belly screaming at everyone.
0 Replies

Bueno0

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 04:43 am
I have exactly the same problem, but if you swallow a teaspoon of olive oil with your breakfast is settles your stomach and it stops mine rumbling for at least 3 hours, it doest taste pretty bad tho! hope i helped!
Bueno0

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 04:44 am
@Biscuit,
me too:)
0 Replies

nervy

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 03:07 pm
@Bueno0,
That seems like a simple way to calm belly rumbles, I will definitely be trying that one. I have the same problem, I'm glad I'm not alone - it's only since I started sixth form, I have this one history class 4 times a week and I literally dread it because the teacher talks for the whole class and we sit in silence making notes and my belly just rumbles so loud and I know people hear it because they turn and look at me! It is so embarrassing, I don't want people to think I have gas!! :-( I can't figure out why it rumbles I eat really healthy and exercise too. It seems to make it worse when I'm worrying about it - which I can't stop doing in that class!
Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 06:59 pm
@nervy,
Quote:
I don't want people to think I have gas!!

Just wait until you get lot older. A bunch of old farts (to coin a phrase") standing together could start a chamber music ensemble.

Think of it.........................sonata in b flat minor for winds, and lots of it! Mr. Green
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 07:14 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:

A bunch of old farts (to coin a phrase") standing together could start a chamber music ensemble. Think of it.........................sonata in b flat minor for winds, and lots of it! Mr. Green

Phoenix, you had me and BBB laughing! We serenade each other every night with our own chamber music.
0 Replies

Commonsensen

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 12:17 pm
@jespah,
You inconsideration s.o.b you have no idea how this person feels. Imagine something you consider embarrassing keep happening to you every moment of the day, especially around that new person of the opposite or same sex that you like. Until you can fully gasp how this person feel or experience what it's like. Don't give anymore advice. Your slowing down the progress of all mankind
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 12:26 pm
@Commonsensen,
Quote:
Your slowing down the progress of all mankind

It must be true, it took you 5 years to respond to her post.
0 Replies

Adam Levine fan

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 03:26 pm
@honey rose cr,
I know it's been 6 years now but still. The same happens to me. What I do is I put 1 leg over the other and jiggle the top leg (it sounds wrong, but really, it's not). Try eating a full dinner. And if you feel that it's going to rumble, just flip the pages and pretend to drop your pencil & stuff like that. And if it does happen, don't look around, just ignore it & focus on what you're doing.
Umm.. hope this helps!
0 Replies