IF THE SHRUB PARDONS LIBBY . . .

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 02:31 pm
Laughing I didn't know the full meaning of the word assertion. Embarrassed Laughing
(Otherwise; I'm content with what I've written.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 02:41 pm
I'm sure you are . . . it is my experience that you commonly blithely and blissfully persist in foolish remarks.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 02:45 pm
Laughing Should I now pretend I'm you and feign outrage at your "snottiness"? Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 02:50 pm
Strawman--i never "feign" outrage, and in fact almost never experience even a genuine feeling of outrage. I understand, however, that such emotive claims are frequently used people who lack rhetorical skills and therefore attempt to discredit those with whom they disagree by an imputation of an emotive rather than a rational response.

Case in point here. I am not upset that you responded with a non sequitur to my first post upon which you commented, nor does it disturb me that you are now trying to suggest that i typically either feign or feel outrage. You can call me dishonest of emotionally distracted to your heart's content--it won't make it any more true than any of the other unfounded assertions you are peddling.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 03:05 pm
Okay... I guess you never feign outrage at other's "snottiness"...

Laughing

The FACT still remains that Hillary did indeed say what Okie claimed and there remains no logical reason to ask a random GI whether the nation is safer. It is you who is defending a silly statement.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 03:13 pm
It's good to see that you recognize that there is a topic to discuss here, and that it is not simply an opportunity to vent your spleen at me with false allegations about my behavior.

Okie's comment to which i responded was that Clinton was " . . . privy to all of the information and issues leading into what happened before the war . . ." and it was that to which i objected. At no time did i state that Clinton had not said what Okie stated she said.

Nor did i claim that "a random GI" will know if the nation is safer. However, given that he or she is subject to be attacked with intent to murder simply for being an American, he or she could provide good evidence that this war has not make the world safer for Americans.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 03:57 pm
I know this is subversive, but I love it when two of a2k's best posters go at it like this.

Don't stop now, it's just getting good.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 04:02 pm
Sorry Darlin. I'm bored. Nothing really juicy enough to sink my teeth into. At this juncture; I may as well ghost write his responses I've seen them so often.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 04:40 pm
You flatter your pathetic and limited skills.

You're giving up because i did not tell Okie that he was wrong about what Clinton said, and you're beginning to realize that you can't support your silly assertions.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:28 pm
Hmmmm. I wonder if you have a good enough sense of humor for this next post... Oh, what the hell. I'll risk it...

Setanta man, Setanta man,
Bobs and weaves when he's caught again.
Steps in ****, all the time
Then misdirects and hurls some slime
Look out!
Here comes Setanta man!

Is he smart?
Bet your ass.
His history writing is world-class.
But can he see, when he's wrong?
Never has, so I wrote this song.
Hey there!
There goes Setanta man.

Setanta man, Setanta man,
When sharing knowledge, I'm his biggest fan.
But when he's mad, it's really sad
His rhetorical bull gets really bad.
Look out!
Here comes Setanta man! Shocked
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:31 pm
Sung to the tune of Triangle man?

Nice job.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:33 pm
If your rhetorical skills are so good, O'Bill, it will be a simple matter for you to quote the post in which i told Okie that Clinton did not say what he stated she said. Failing that, you're just pissing into the wind.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:59 pm
How do you miss the Spiderman thing there, McG? (Damn I suck at writing music Laughing)(Though I kinda liked the Obama song)

It is a simple matter, Set:

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Setanta wrote:
As for being safer than we were in 2001, that is so far out in the Twilight Zone it's incredible.

Ask the GIs in Iraq how safe they are.
That was Hillary's response, nonetheless... and asking the GIs in Iraq how safe we are is a nonsensical statement.
This is where I entered the thread. (Part one, unless that latest post was meant to clarify you had no objection to my first point, despite calling it nonsensical)However "far out in the Twilight Zone" you may find the notion of us being safer: That is precisely what Hillary said, and Okie re-iterated.
(Part one: Check)
(Part two) You wrote "Ask the GIs in Iraq how safe they are." This is a nonsensical statement, clearly written to buttress your premise that the idea of us being safer as a country is "far out in the Twilight Zone". (Part two: Check)

No amount of backpedaling, bobbing and weaving will change this easily verified chain of events. You are caught, and your refusal to admit it only serves to make you look silly.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 06:03 pm
Diane wrote:
I know this is subversive, but I love it when two of a2k's best posters go at it like this.

Don't stop now, it's just getting good.

Yup- when you run across a p*ssin contest, feed 'em gatorade, I always say...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 06:11 pm
How come gatorade doesn't work for me! LOL
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 06:15 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
How do you miss the Spiderman thing there, McG? (Damn I suck at writing music Laughing)(Though I kinda liked the Obama song)

Dang missed that. Good job. Found this - spiderman

The tune I had in my head.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 06:19 pm
Laughing Close enough. That's a knockoff too...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 06:46 pm
You're the one who looks silly, O'Bill. This is what you wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:
The FACT still remains that Hillary did indeed say what Okie claimed and there remains no logical reason to ask a random GI whether the nation is safer.

I have nowhere denied that Clinton said what Okie claimed. I don't agree that "we" are safer, but that does not constitute a denial of Okie's claim about what Clinton said. Apparently it is necessary to point out to you that Clinton doesn't do my thinking for me. "We" means all Americans, and that includes the GIs in Iraq. They are certainly not safer, and four years after the clown on Pennsylvania declared "mission accomplished," they are still targets precisely because they are Americans--that's a no-brainer, which makes it problematic that even you cannot understand that.

I repeat, at no time did i deny that Clinton said what Okie claimed she said. You have no case, which is typical.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 07:00 pm
I find claims about the nation being safer to be hilarious, in a grim sort of way. It's like my never-fails elephant repellent. I spread it around the back yard, and voilĂ , you never see an elephant in the back yard. The claim can never be proven, and the only way such a claim could be disproven would be for an elephant to actually show up in the back yard. The same applies to simple minded claims about our national security--it can't be proven, it could only be disproven. Personally, i don't want to see a terrorist attack within the United States which would disprove the claim.

However, even for those who claim our national security has been improved, they would, in the context of the nonsense Okie was peddling, have the burden of proving that the nation is safer because we invaded Iraq, as opposed to several other factors which could more plausibly explain such a circumstance. If that is what conservatives here, or anyone else, wants to claim, they assume a huge, and very likely impossible burden of proof.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 07:24 pm
Setanta wrote:
You're the one who looks silly, O'Bill. This is what you wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:
The FACT still remains that Hillary did indeed say what Okie claimed and there remains no logical reason to ask a random GI whether the nation is safer.

I have nowhere denied that Clinton said what Okie claimed. I don't agree that "we" are safer, but that does not constitute a denial of Okie's claim about what Clinton said. Apparently it is necessary to point out to you that Clinton doesn't do my thinking for me. "We" means all Americans, and that includes the GIs in Iraq. They are certainly not safer, and four years after the clown on Pennsylvania declared "mission accomplished," they are still targets precisely because they are Americans--that's a no-brainer, which makes it problematic that even you cannot understand that.

I repeat, at no time did i deny that Clinton said what Okie claimed she said. You have no case, which is typical.
Laughing The problem with this bob and weave tactic is that it doesn't mesh with your other attempts to pretend you didn't step in it. I'll highlight in this color and size to help you find your error. :wink: If you look past my foolish misuse of the word assertion; this is where you've stepped on your own bogus story again:
Setanta wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Setanta wrote:
So you claim, O'Bill. Do you contend that they ceased to be Amerians when they went overseas. Do you claim that no one is attacking them because they are Americans and it's easier to get at them there than it is here?
I made no such claims. The simple fact is; a random GI, by virtue of being a GI, is no expert on National Security, and tapping him to elucidate whether or not we are safer is an obvious example of Argumentum ad misericordiam
Setanta wrote:
I find your post nonsensical, O'Bill.
Laughing 2 factual assertions <-Notice the plural in a single concise sentence hardly qualifies as nonsensical.

Your assertions were not factual <-notice the plural, nor was i using argumentum ad misericorciam. I was not appealing to anyone's pity, i was pointing out that those who hate America, and who are willing to take the risk, can go to Iraq to kill Americans. That is good evidence that this war has not lessened the risk to Americans from fanatical Muslim terrorism.

However, i am far more amused by your claim to have made factual "assertions."

[url=http://www.answers.com/topic/assertion][b]Answers-dot-com[/b][/url] wrote:
assertion n.

1. The act of asserting.
2. Something declared or stated positively, often with no support or attempt at proof. (Answers-dot-com uses the American Heritage Dictionary for their source.)

There is no such thing of a factual assertion. Certainly you can assert that your claims are factual, but that will not make it so. It only becomes "factual" when you provide incontrovertible proof of your statements. Finally, i did not either claim that a GIs are expert on national security nor did i appeal to pity on behalf of them. So your response was neither factual, nor was it relevant. It was a non sequitur.
As usual; you've denied the obvious, easily verifyable fact, seemingly oblivious to the fact that any interested party (pity them, I'm falling asleep myself) need only look back to see your obvious BS.

Now I imagine, per your usual MO, you'll attempt obfuscate the issue further with a mind-numblingly long post.
0 Replies