IF THE SHRUB PARDONS LIBBY . . .

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 03:01 pm
What do you think the consequences would be?

Do you think the Shrub could pull it off?

If not, why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 15,414 • Replies: 394
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 03:08 pm
His approval rating cannot sink, so, what's the risk. After all, he's the Decider, and Congress holds his trousers while he skinny dips.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 03:11 pm
Although that was a graphic image which i didn't really need to add to my overcrowded library of bizarre images, it is nonetheless a perceptive take on the issue.

Don't do that to me again, 'K, EB?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 03:22 pm
Seriously, he doen't have the option to wait until after the election. If he doesn't pardon him, Bush's other friends may decide they can't count on him to save their asses. Then, they could turn on him.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 03:22 pm
I'm tempted to say 'he'd be in big trouble,' etc., but f*ck, they've gotten away with so many other heinous acts, I can't imagine this would be any different.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 03:23 pm
Once again, EB, i can't disagree with you. Libby kept his mouth shut, too, he played the game and didn't implicate anyone else.

Thanks, Cyclo, i was hoping you'd show, and was interested in what you'd say.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 03:41 pm
I think dickhead has painted himself into a corner but is too arrogant and self absorbed to realize it. His legacy is ruined, history will treat him as a pariah, and he will do whatever he wants without regard to any consequences... so it doesn't really matter if he pardons libby or not but i'm betting he doesn't. I think he'a a borderline madman, I seriously do, and he is surrounded by a few evil men who are using him to further their consolidation of power and influence.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 03:49 pm
Setanta wrote:
Once again, EB, i can't disagree with you. Libby kept his mouth shut, too, he played the game and didn't implicate anyone else.

Thanks, Cyclo, i was hoping you'd show, and was interested in what you'd say.

The 25% or so of the country who still supports him isn't going to be swayed by a little thing like the appearance of impropriety, and the other 75% hates his guts already. So he might go ahead and pardon him.

I have heard some whispers, however, that pardoning Libby may open him (Bush) up to further prosecution - something along the lines of Conspiracy. I don't have much information on this atm, but I am working to find out more.

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 04:33 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I think he'a a borderline madman, I seriously do, and he is surrounded by a few evil men who are using him to further their consolidation of power and influence.

Not insane (as in hearing voices), IMO, but
a) drug addled from his cocaine days
b) not terribly bright
c) too narcissistic to ever admit to a mistake.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 02:27 am
I dont think he will pardon Libby,but the law says that he can.

All Presidents have that power,and they can pardon anyone they choose.
Remember the stink made about some of Clintons pardons?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 05:47 am
On Bush's way out the door in 2009, he should pardon Libby, as is his right to do so.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 06:57 am
Libby is due to start his 'vacation' in a couple of months. 2009 will be too late. Unless we're talking about a pardon 'for the books'?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 07:54 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
he will do whatever he wants without regard to any consequences...

nothing new there and was GWB's MO long before his legacy was ruined.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if he pardoned Libby. He shouldn't, but that doesn't mean anything.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 07:59 am
I think bush is in "final solution/bunker" mode and libby is probably off his radar. I could be wrong. I suppose he could pardon him as an afterthought on his way out the door, but I just feel like he won't. I've been wrong before.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 08:03 am
Edgar is very perceptive to point out that those who support the Shrub will expect him to pardon Libby because Libby "took the bullet," he didn't rat anybody out. He demonstrated his loyalty, and those who value such loyalty will expect the Shrub to reciprocate. Many people such as Libby, who are not elective politicians, place a value on loyalty that you can't necessarily count on from elective politicians.

Bush is no long and elective politician to the extent that he can't run for the White House again, and is unlikely to run for a lesser office (although J. Q. Adams did sit in the House after having been President). However, DD makes a good point when he writes:

Not insane (as in hearing voices), IMO, but
a) drug addled from his cocaine days
b) not terribly bright
c) too narcissistic to ever admit to a mistake.

Without regard to admitting mistakes, the Shrub is sufficiently hard-headed and narcissistic to let Libby take the fall and believe that he owes the man nothing for the loyalty he's shown. If he takes that route, he wouldn't necessarily cause, but could encourage any number of rats to abandon the sinking ship. For practical reason, pardoning Libby would make good sense, and as the lovely EOE points out, sooner rather than later.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 08:19 am
Then again, party regulars might worry a pardon will hurt candidates for the upcoming election and find ways to persuade Bush to forgo the pardon, at least until after the election.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 08:23 am
Of course that's possible, but the Shrub has never shown an inclination to cater to the desires of the Party. When everything was hunky-dory, and Republican pols could hope to get a boost riding on his coattails, they had nothing to ask of him. In the dark days just before the last mid-term, he showed no inclination to do anything concrete which might have helped candidates, and they didn't particularly want him showing up in their districts to campaign for them, unless they knew for a fact that he remained popular, in which case a Bush appearance was superfluous.

I don't see him as the type, especially in light of his expressed public behavior, to do anything to help the Party rank and file. He is the epitome of political arrogance.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 08:24 am
true that big dawg but why limit him to merely political arrogance? I'm sure he is an arrogant prick in every aspect of his life and to the fibre of his being.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 08:30 am
I can see the evidence and consequences of his political arrogance. If he's a prick in his private life, i'd have no way of knowing it. Rumor has it that he's become Nixon-like, losing his temper easily and more frequently cursing and yelling at subordinates. I never bought the "he's a real nice guy" crap that so many simple-minded conservative supporters peddled.

Nevertheless, rumors are rumors and not truth, and i have no justification to condemn the man for his private life when i know nothing about it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 08:36 am
you are a prince. come on in for the belly rub.....
0 Replies