DNA from chicken bone shows Polynesians found South America

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 09:20 am
DNA from chicken bone shows Polynesians 'found' South America
By Steve Connor, Science Editor
Published: 05 June 2007
Independent UK

A chicken bone has provided anthropologists with the strongest evidence yet to suggest that Polynesians sailed to South America before the discovery of the New World by Europeans.

The possibility that Polynesians had direct contact with the indigenous people of South America has long intrigued experts on ancient human migrations, but hard evidence has been difficult to come by. However, a study by scientists from New Zealand and Chile has now shown that chickens may have been introduced into South America by Polynesians sailing from the west rather than Europeans coming from the east.

Chicken bones excavated from an archaeological site in central Chile have been analysed by carbon dating and by DNA profiling. One of the bones was dated to more than 100 years before the first Europeans arrived in South America and its DNA shows a strong correlation with the DNA of present-day chickens living on the inhabited islands of the Pacific Ocean.

Domestic chickens are thought to have derived from wild birds that lived in the forests of the Indian subcontinent and the people who first migrated to the Americas from Asia - using a land bridge across the Bering Strait - are not believed to have taken chickens with them.

Yet the Spanish conquistador Francisco Pizarro reported on his arrival in Peru in 1532 that the local Inca were using chickens as part of their religious ceremonies, suggesting that the domestic bird had been part of the native culture for some time.

Some experts believe, however, that chickens could not have existed in South America before the arrival of the first Europeans and that they must have been introduced by sailors from Europe.

The chicken bones came from an archaeological site at El Arenal in the Arauco region. A total of 50 bones have been recovered, but the single bone that provided the crucial dating evidence came from a bird estimated to have lived between 1321 and 1407 - a century before the Portuguese landed in Brazil, according to the study published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Until now the evidence in support of a direct cultural connection with Polynesians has been circumstantial. Linguists have identified similarities in language and anthropologists have noted the presence of American items such as the sweet potato and the bottle-gourd plant in eastern Polynesia long before Christopher Columbus arrived in the Americas.

Alice Storey, a doctoral student in the department of anthropology at the University of Auckland, and her colleagues suggest that Polynesian seafarers could have used the reliable trade westerlies of the southern hemisphere to carry them and their cargo of living chickens to Chile.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,756 • Replies: 6
No top replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 06:01 pm
You know, most of the people on this site with tens of thousands of responses, in my opinion, let me phrase this to be kind, are here because they are either lonely, loony, or such egotistical idiots (and I use the term idiot in it's true cognitive sense) they can't find anyone who can stand them long enough in real life to hold a conversation with. Sorry that's as nice as I could manage. Not in all cases but in LOTS of cases. I just wanted to let you know, for what it is worth, I think you are one of the refreshing exceptions.

You're like a well read friend who happens by with a great article (on just about any and every subject) he just read and wants to share. Your habit of only adding your own thoughts to questions or correspondence from others rather than using the article just to start an ex cathedra process of propounding your superior knowledge on the subject is also rare and well appreciated. I almost exclusively read this site for comic relief. Your posts never strike me that way. Just thought I ought to say that.

Relative to the article: I would have been a little dubious of this. I always thought the theory was a stretch because of the probable process of the population of the Pacific from Asia. But if this turns out to be correct the dates seem to fit extremely well with when this would most probably have to have happened.

It has been obvious for many decades that the Pacific was populated from Asia but the question of reaching S.A. has been stubbornly recalcitrant.

Thor Hierdal's ideas were intriguing, probably possible (as he demonstrated), and obviously never happened.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 08:15 am
TheCorrectResponse
TheCorrectResponse, thank you for your interest and your kind words. They took me by surprise because I get constant complaints from many posters who don't like my cut and paste articles that are of interest to me. Unfortunately, I've had a life long habbit of wanting to share information with others to get their opinions. My main reason is to provide conversation opportunities to keep A2K interesting instead of posts filled with boring nit picking debates of verbal combat that evently kill a thread.

Re the article, I'm glad someone saved their chicken bones to leave them to us to learn more about our planet. I've always though Columbus was a "Johnny-come-lately."

BBB
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 02:58 pm
Do you mean Thor Heyerdahl TheCorrectResponse? http://users.cyberone.com.au/myers/before-columbus.html

Apparently Phoenecians discovered America (sorry, its not on topic, but it is related). In my mind it is quite clear that Europeans weren't the first to "discover" America (that is, the North and South continents), the questions is who were the first people to discover it?
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 09:03 pm
QUINCY:

Yes I meant Heyerdahl, I just knew BBB would know who I was talking about, wouldn't be pedantic, and so didn't take the time to look up the name. Hurray, after 34 of my posts you finally found a grammar/spelling error to point out, congratulations.

The Phoenicians: Oh for Christ's sake! I would go into detail based on pottery, linguistics, genetics, etc. that diffusion could ONLY have come from Asia via island hopping as to why this idea was put to bed years and years ago but what would be the use? They may not have made it all the way to the Americas, but the new evidence that BBB's post is about means they may have, but it certianly wasn't the Phen. This is the standard conclusion by experts who spent years researching the subject and so would be by definition: wrong. You just can't believe ANY standard theory. The Phoenicians discovered America just like special relativity is wrong, general relativity is wrong, quantum theory is wrong, Astronomers are wrong. It never seems to get old with you does it? Just because someone can "Google" a topic and then comment on it is irrelevant. It would carry a little more weight if your posts didn't show that you do not have a very good grasp of the concepts that you disagree with. Sorry: of the concepts with which you disagree.

Here is an example. This is the basic equation of one of the concepts in astronomy you seem to have a problem with. Please explain what is wrong with it and what changes you would make to correct its flaws.

http://i17.tinypic.com/6fzww1w.jpg

It is a very well know, ubiquitous equation and anyone with the depth of knowledge that your concerns show would recognize in an instant. Of course the problem is it is not in pros so it would be a little tricky to "Google Up". Makes it a bit harder to find fault huh?

Here is another thing you won't believe. In your "Astrology" postÂ…That astrology, or more correctly, ASTRONOMY has played a role in much of the basis of religion is NOT new. To provide one specific, it was used to explain the mystery of the Mithraism mystery religion. It was their discovery of the precession of the equinoxes that their religion was based and which explains the iconography of the Tauroctony. I would recommend the principal book on the subject "The Origins of the Mithraic Mysteries" by David Ulansey to you. But since this is about 20 years old by now and generally considered the correct interpretation of Mithraism I'm sure you wouldn't believe it. You could also read Sir James Frazer 18 volume "The Golden Bough"; THE seminal work on mythology.

You know, I have a couple of fields in which I have a great deal of knowledge, a few in which I have a lot of knowledge, a lot in which I have, at best general knowledge, and most in which I know practically nothing. It is only on sites like A2K where 95% of the people are experts on any and everything and all of the real experts are, amazingly, wrong.

It's a good thing the experts are spending their time on A2K, I doubt even Princeton could afford them all in their advanced studies program.

So Quincy this is for you: You are correct, all of standard physics and chemistry is wrong. Astronomers are idiots and the Phoenicians discovered America; flown here on Erich von Däniken's "Chariots of the Gods". As I assume he was a bit before your time I looked up the name to make it easier to "Google"

BBB:
Sorry to use your post for a rant but it just gets me sometimes. This would have been a nice topic to discuss but you see how quickly it would have gone off on a ridiculous tangent. I really don't even dislike Quincy ( I'm guessing he is still young) but I just get so much of this from clients and from students (when I'm stupid enough to agree to teach as an adjunct). And blowing off steam in those situations is not professional and relative to a client can cost me some coin. Hang in there. I just don't have the energy for this!
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 09:07 pm
Obviously those living there. How can you discover some place which has inhabitants? This shows great disrespect for the natives of the land as if they were animals to be discovered.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 09:13 pm
Jeezus TheCorrectResponse, did your granny die and your husband leave you?
0 Replies