SonofEva goes to Japan!

dyslexia

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 08:30 am
This entire event is so totally cool!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 09:07 am
Amazing, Eva. Dys just told me about your thread and I have finished reading all the posts. Your boy's emails were so thirteen year old teenagers, especially the concentration on food, sleep and going to places other than school. Enjoying the memories of teen boys this is bringing back. I also loved that he seemed to feel perfectly comfortable.

You mentioned that he didn't remember all the places you and Mr.Eva have taken him, but this is all his and he will always have the memories of his first adventure on his own without parents. WOW.

This is lovely, Eva. Thanks so much for sharing him and his travels with us.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 09:47 am
Have they asked him about western breakfasts?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 11:08 am
LOL, Boomer!!! Laughing

Dys, I was wondering when you'd show up. Very Happy I knew you'd really enjoy this.

Diane, I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right. He will remember this precisely because it's his first great adventure without his parents. I vividly remember my senior high trip to Mexico City for exactly that reason. Thank you!

His sword arrived today. (That was the #1 thing he wanted to bring back from Japan, so I'm really glad he found one he liked. He took his own spending money from mowing the neighbor's lawn, so this will be doubly precious to him.) I didn't open the package. I just put it on his bed and e-mailed him to let him know it is here.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 11:18 am
Eva, Don't forget to make hard copies of this thread, and give it to your son when he graduates from high school. He'll enjoy reading about your reactions to his emails, and how the people on a2k enjoyed his first trip abroad - and their reactions.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 11:29 am
That is a GREAT idea, c.i.!

I will do that.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 12:08 pm
You know Eva, I realized my excitement is mainly because I got to meet your son and immediately fell in love, but also because he is quite like my older son--swords, interests all over the place.

He won't understand now but I'm sure you do. Anyway, thank him for me for being him and bringing lovely memories back.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 12:16 pm
when Eva and sonof eva and mr eva sat on our patio I offered a cold drink to everyone, I offered cold beer, lemonade or iced tea and sonofeva said he would prefer a lemonade.
The Dys aims to please!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 03:55 pm
Yes, you do! How did you know that lemonade is SonofEva's absolutely favorite drink?

All of you...Dys, Diane, BBB & Roger...made us feel very, very welcome.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 04:31 pm
Told you he was a genius, Eva, and the fact that he doesn't spell well affirms my original observation.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 05:21 pm
"Spell well" has never been the primary basis for success in life.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 05:52 pm
Exactly, C.I. I often feel that too much emphasis is put on the mechanics of writing in our public school system, and it keeps the kids with real talent from being recognized.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 06:06 pm
It's okay for the children who wish to compete in the spelling bee, but most learn to spell most of the words correctly to communicate well enough for their life's needs. My wife graduated high school, nursing school and college with honors. She still has difficulty with spelling some words - including me.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 06:55 pm
I speal godeer then moste and I dun real gud in govrnment werk.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 06:59 pm
dys, Dat wuz self-explaned.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 02:43 pm
This was his last full day in Japan, so this will probably be his last e-mail.

Today was a free day with the families. We went to Nikko, a restraunt i didnt really like it...we went to a HUGE mall and finally i played batmitten with ___. i did really badly. i am coming home tomorrow!!!!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 05:18 pm
Look at all those exclamation points! Kid's a bit homesick, I think. Certainly seems ready to come home at any rate.

Thanks for sharing his perspective, looking forward to more once he's home...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 11:25 pm
Yeah, the exclamation points gave it away!

(Good. We're ready for him to come home.)

You know how these trips are. Every day is scheduled. After a week or more of that, anyone would be ready to go home.

According to his schedule, he should be on his way to the airport now. I bought him a new camera just before he left. I'll be anxious to see his photos, and I'll try to post some here. I'll also let you know what he says about the trip during the next few days.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 11:32 pm
Eva I know you want to enjoy your sons experience but be carefull not to take it over. Its his experience not yours. Let the experiences come out of their own accord.

What do I mean by all that? I'm not sure myself.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 11:46 pm
I get it. And you're right.

Not to worry, though. I won't force it...or him.

This thread has been a good way to record things, though. I like c.i.'s suggestion to print all this out and give it to him years from now.
0 Replies