SonofEva goes to Japan!

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 10:25 pm
Eva, Your anxious moments before sonofEva leaves for Japan is a common reaction for - mothers. Fathers have a way of not getting too excited about these things. When my sister was a young teen working for a appliance store, she was given a free trip to Paris, and her mother said "no, you can't go." We told her to go anyway, and she did. This was over 50 years ago, and our sister still remembers the details of that trip! It was not a student exchange program; just a free trip given to the store for selling more appliances than other stores.

FYI, we are now planning on a Second San Francisco A2K Gathering, and we are off to a good start. Look for the thread under the North America Forum.

Your son will do fine, and he'll remember the unique experiences of having lived with a family in another culture. (I wish I had such an opportunity during my youth; knowing what I know today about world travel). A country with many interesting sites that would satisfy the most discerning traveler.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 10:25 pm
What a great experience this is going to be for him, Eva.
I can understand your trepidation though, I'd be the same way.

In Europe, these student exchange programs are far more common
and it is usually great fun to spend time with other families and their
children, and many lifelong friendships are formed this way, along
with the fondest memories later on.

SonofEva will come back with lots of impressions and unforgettable
memories.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 11:00 pm
c.i., the opportunity to live with a family in a different culture was the #1 reason we sent him. Even though it's only for 8 days, he'll learn so much more than he ever could as a tourist.

You're right about "mother's anxiety." Hubby asked me what time he'd be landing, then went to bed early. :wink:

CJ, I didn't realize this was more common in Europe. That's interesting. This student exchange is between Tulsa and Utsunomiya, its sister city in Japan. We also have sister cities in 7 other countries including France and Germany (two other countries that SonofEva is interested in seeing.) If this trip goes as well as we hope, we will have to find out if they have student exchanges planned for those countries as well.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 11:08 pm
It's been a while, but I have met some Americans who participates in the student exchange programs with other countries. I believe one couple lived in the Seattle area, and the other couple lived in Tucson. They said their programs were very active, and they had student exchanges every year. Unfortunately, I forgot the name of the organization they worked for. I'll do a search to see if I can find it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 11:11 pm
I believe it was this program: http://www.asse.com/
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 11:25 pm
Eva, some of my German friends had their son (he's also 14) exchange with
a Britisch boy his age. First the Brit was at their house for 3 months
and then my friends son went to England for 3 months.

I was in England too when I was around 17 years old - 6 weeks,
and it was so much fun!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 03:09 am
So, did you get your one email yet?

Hi.
I'm here.

Joe(yes? and?? Hello??!!)Nation
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:07 am
Eva wrote:
I love the internet!

According to the airline's online flight status check, SonofEva's flight landed safely in Tokyo 15 minutes ago.

I can breathe now.

Oh wow!

I hope sozlet has a chance to do something like this when she's older, but I can only imagine how you feel right now. (So far away...!)

In terms of dads, E.G. is the worrier in the family. I mean, I worry, he WORRIES. Sozlet and I are constantly telling him, "It's fine!"
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:19 am
Eva
Eva, I'm so thrilled for your georgeous son. He will remember this all of his life and your trust in him to allow it. How is husbandofEva taking it?

BBB
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:54 am
I love the internet! (Part II)

Yes, Joe, I got an e-mail first thing this morning. He sent it as soon as he got there, before he even slept. (So there! Laughing )

Subject: I made it
Message: Hello mom i am here safely also the direct flight was long, and i couldnt get to sleep because of the way the seats were made. I just gave them their presents. You should have seen ___'s face when he first used the chattering teeth. He really likes them.

(We sent small, quintessentially American gifts, including the wind-up, plastic chattering teeth.)

I read the e-mail to Hubby first thing. He said, "Good!" and went back to sleep.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 09:25 am
Eva wrote:

I read the e-mail to Hubby first thing. He said, "Good!" and went back to sleep.

Perfect example of concerned parenting. Way to show you care Hubbyofeva.

so... just the two of you for 8 days heh eva. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 11:07 am
JAPAN IN CRISIS OVER TOY INSULT

(Tokyo)(AP) Diplomats from Japan and the United States met in a urgent session yesterday after a unnamed American boy created an international incident by presenting his host family with a toy which is widely known in Japan, though not in the USA, as a insult.

"It is completely impolite." said Yomama Shitooksida, an expert on Japanese culture, referring to the "chattering teeth" toy. "It says you think that whoever you gave it to talks too much and says nothing of importance."

Authorities refuse to identify the person being held, except to say that he may be from one of the more isolated places in the US and that that may have contributed to his ignorance of Japanese life. They are interrogating the young man as to whether he was aware of the insulting nature of the toy and, if he was, what his motive might have been in presenting it. An email apparently sent by the person in question seems to boast about the look of shock on his host's face.

American officials have thus far had no contact with the young man.

==
Joe(my my, it's a big world)Nation
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 12:12 pm
For $2.99, he's gotten picked up by the AP. Yep, that's my boy. Laughing

E(no such thing as bad publicity)va
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 12:20 pm
I'd better give the neighbors a heads up. Knowing his talent for money, he'll probably stop mowing their lawn once the talk show offers start coming in.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 02:54 pm
Another e-mail!

Subject: What I did today
Message: This morning ___ and I rode bikes all over town For breakfast we had cereal and strawberrys. Then ___ and i played on his PS2. Later he had to go study somewhere im not sure where...For like 3 hours i took a really long nap during that time. Then we had lunch at a McDonalds it was a lot differant. After that we came back to their house and hung out for a while and had California rolls for dinner. Then ___ had to go study again and that is when i sent you this letter. I took pictures all over their house. Now i am very tired and am going to sleep. That was my day.

(Sounds like he's recovering from jet lag.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 02:59 pm
That was so sweet! :-D
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 12:11 pm
Today's e-mail:

Subject: what i did today
Message: This morning i woke up about 7 or so and we had breakfast at 9. We had Cereal and Fruit <same as yesterday> Then i didnt do much except watch tv untill lunch we ate noodles with red sauce. Then we went to their mall and i got some things <you will find out later> Then i beat ___ at his own 007 video game. Then we had dinner. For dinner we ate Rice, Beef and Eggplant and shrimp dumplings.

Hmmm...TV, the mall, video games...I guess being 13 is pretty much the same in Japan as in the US. I'm anxious to hear what he sees/does tomorrow. It's the first day of sightseeing with the American group.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:10 pm
Ooh! They went to Nikko yesterday! (google for images)

Message: Well, we had doughnuts this morning for a change. Yes today was the day i went to Nikko. We saw a shrine and went to a (quote) samurai village and i bought my sword and some presents i will not name. The whole thing was set up like shops where there was a walk-in shop here and there which was cool. There was this ninja throwing stars contest <i> It was set up on the side of one of the buildings. all of the stars were dull and i got one in an inch into the wood and i just ripped through the styrofoam. i got pictures of it all, dont worry.

(How cool! He has actually practiced throwing stars in his martial arts class! Who knew he'd ever have a chance to actually do it?!)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:11 pm
I don't know if anyone else is interested in reading these, but I'm gonna post 'em anyway! :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:12 pm
(Enjoying the updates...!)
0 Replies