UNLAWFUL COMBATANT

parados

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 08:02 pm
I see, so if something is NOT in the GC then it must exist?

What nonsense Oralloy.

You can't provide the requirement from the 3rd, from the 2nd or from the 1st GC. There is no such requirement in the GC. You can spout and sputter and demand we believe you but you can't provide any quote or any proof. You are doing nothing but delivering nonsense Oralloy.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 08:05 pm
parados wrote:
Quote:
That is a protection for civilians who spontaneously take up arms. It has nothing to do with the requirement that members of armed forces wear a proper uniform in combat.

You keep saying this but you have never quoted where this requirement is.

Customary Law.

parados wrote:
I have quoted the GC which only states one need be a member of the armed forces. No requirement anywhere in the GC that a uniform is part of being in the armed forces.

The Geneva Conventions don't list the requirements of being in the armed forces. That is not their purpose.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 08:09 pm
parados wrote:
I see, so if something is NOT in the GC then it must exist?

What nonsense Oralloy.

You can't provide the requirement from the 3rd, from the 2nd or from the 1st GC. There is no such requirement in the GC. You can spout and sputter and demand we believe you but you can't provide any quote or any proof. You are doing nothing but delivering nonsense Oralloy.

You may have never heard of customary law, but that does not make it nonsense.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 08:10 pm
Customary law?

Oh.. where can I find this law? or did you make it up?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 08:24 pm
Here is the Avalon projects collection on the "Laws of War". I can find nothing in that collection that requires a uniform to belong to an army.

http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/lawofwar/lawwar.htm
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 11:30 pm
parados wrote:
Customary law?

Oh.. where can I find this law?

Customary law is sort of an international equivalent of common law.

parados wrote:
or did you make it up?

No, it is quite real.

Based on the weather advancing through Michigan, I may be without power for a few days. If so, I'll answer all replies when I get back online.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 11:55 pm
oralloy wrote:
Thomas wrote:
And I can't see where the act provides any procedural guarantees that the tribunal will make its judgment, or that you can correct the tribunal's errors after it made them. But again, maybe you can show it to me.

The procedures of the Combatant Status Review Tribunal are discussed a bit here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combatant_Status_Review_Tribunal

Here are the military regulations for such tribunals:

Quote:
1-6. Tribunals
a. In accordance with Article 5, GPW, if any doubt arises as to whether a person, having committed a belligerent act and been taken into custody by the US Armed Forces, belongs to any of the categories enumerated in Article 4, GPW, such persons shall enjoy the protection of the present Convention until such time as their status has been determined by a competent tribunal.

b. A competent tribunal shall determine the status of any person not appearing to be entitled to prisoner of war status who has committed a belligerent act or has engaged in hostile activities in aid of enemy armed forces, and who asserts that he or she is entitled to treatment as a prisoner of war, or concerning whom any doubt of a like nature exists.

c. A competent tribunal shall be composed of three commissioned officers, one of whom must be of a field grade. The senior officer shall serve as President of the Tribunal. Another non-voting officer, preferably an officer in the Judge Advocate General Corps, shall serve as the recorder.

d. The convening authority shall be a commander exercising general courts-martial convening authority.

e. Procedures.
    (1) Members of the Tribunal and the recorder shall be sworn. The recorder shall be sworn first by the President of the Tribunal. The recorder will then administer the oath to all voting members of the Tribunal to include the President. (2) A written record shall be made of proceedings. (3) Proceedings shall be open except for deliberation and voting by the members and testimony or other matters which would compromise security if held in the open. (4) Persons whose status is to be determined shall be advised of their rights at the beginning of their hearings. (5) Persons whose status is to be determined shall be allowed to attend all open sessions and will be provided with an interpreter if necessary. (6) Persons whose status is to be determined shall be allowed to call witnesses if reasonably available, and to question those witnesses called by the Tribunal. Witnesses shall not be considered reasonably available if, as determined by their commanders, their presence at a hearing would affect combat or support operations. In these cases, written statements, preferably sworn, may be submitted and considered as evidence. (7) Persons whose status is to be determined have a right to testify or otherwise address the Tribunal. (8) Persons whose status is to be determined may not be compelled to testify before the Tribunal. (9) Following the hearing of testimony and the review of documents and other evidence, the Tribunal shall determine the status of the subject of the proceeding in closed session by majority vote. Preponderance of evidence shall be the standard used in reaching this determination. (10) A written report of the tribunal decision is completed in each case. Possible board determinations are: [list](a) EPW. (b) Recommended RP, entitled to EPW protections, who should be considered for certification as a medical, religious, or volunteer aid society RP. (c) Innocent civilian who should be immediately returned to his home or released. (d) Civilian Internee who for reasons of operational security, or probable cause incident to criminal investigation, should be detained.
[/list]
f. The recorder shall prepare the record of the Tribunal within three work days of the announcement of the tribunal's decision. The record will then be forwarded to the first Staff Judge Advocate in the internment facility's chain of command.

g. Persons who have been determined by a competent tribunal not to be entitled to prisoner of war status may not be executed, imprisoned, or otherwise penalized without further proceedings to determine what acts they have committed and what penalty should be imposed. The record of every Tribunal proceeding resulting in a determination denying EPW status shall be reviewed for legal sufficiency when the record is received at the office of the Staff Judge Advocate for the convening authority.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 12:47 am
parados wrote:
Here is the Avalon projects collection on the "Laws of War". I can find nothing in that collection that requires a uniform to belong to an army.

http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/lawofwar/lawwar.htm

That is a listing of treaty law, not customary law.

When the Red Cross wrote their commentaries on the Geneva Conventions, they seemed to be aware of the fact that armed forces were required to follow the customary rules of warfare:

Quote:
The expression "members of regular armed forces" denotes armed forces which differ from those referred to in sub-paragraph (1) of this paragraph in one respect only: the authority to which they profess allegiance is not recognized by the adversary as a Party to the [p.63] conflict. These "regular armed forces" have all the material characteristics and all the attributes of armed forces in the sense of sub-paragraph (1): THEY WEAR UNIFORM, they have an organized hierarchy and THEY KNOW AND RESPECT THE laws and CUSTOMS OF WAR. The delegates to the 1949 Diplomatic Conference were therefore fully justified in considering that there was no need to specify for such armed forces the requirements stated in sub-paragraph (2) (a), (b), (c) and (d).

http://www.icrc.org/ihl.nsf/COM/375-590007

It also strikes me that even if the Taliban fighters are ultimately ruled lawful combatants, they could then be court martialed for perfidy and/or treachery for fighting without a proper uniform.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 01:26 am
oralloy wrote:

No, there aren't These are military regulations for some kind of tribunal, but not Combatant status review tribunals. These are established under the military commission act, and military regulations do not specify their operations.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 01:40 am
Thomas wrote:
oralloy wrote:

No, there aren't These are military regulations for some kind of tribunal, but not Combatant status review tribunals. These are established under the military commission act, and military regulations do not specify their operations.

The Combatant Status Review Tribunals have been going on for years before the Military Commissions Act came into being. They can't have been established by it.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 04:16 am
oralloy wrote:
The Combatant Status Review Tribunals have been going on for years before the Military Commissions Act came into being. They can't have been established by it.

That's correct, and I should have said "specified" instead of "established". Nevertheless, the military regulations you cited do not regulate the operation of combatant status review tribunals s. They regulate some other kind of tribunal.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 06:47 am
There was an interesting piece on Public Television last night. It was color film shot during WW2, specifically from France. I guess it must have been showing a lot of French war criminals since they were carrying arms but not wearing uniforms. They were wearing civilian clothes with armbands to designate their membership in the FFI. They must have all been war criminals under your argument Oralloy.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:18 am
Then of course there is this US Army manual statement
Quote:
The requirements specified in Article 4, paragraphs A (2) (a) to (d), GPW (par. 61) are satisfied in the following fashion: ...

b. Fixed Distinctive Sign. The second condition, relative to the possession of a fixed distinctive sign recognizable at a distance is satisfied by the wearing of military uniform, but less than the complete uniform will suffice. A helmet or headdress which would make the silhouette of the individual readily distinguishable from that of an ordinary civilian would satisfy this requirement. It is also desirable that the individual member of the militia or volunteer corps wear a badge or brassard permanently affixed to his clothing. It is not necessary to inform the enemy of the distinctive sign, although it may be desirable to do so in order to avoid misunderstanding.

The Taliban were issued and wore black headresses.

http://faculty.ed.umuc.edu/~nstanton/Ch3.htm

But we wouldn't want to follow what the US army says about not needing a uniform. That would be too outlandish, don't you think Oralloy.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 10:24 am
parados wrote:
There was an interesting piece on Public Television last night. It was color film shot during WW2, specifically from France. I guess it must have been showing a lot of French war criminals since they were carrying arms but not wearing uniforms. They were wearing civilian clothes with armbands to designate their membership in the FFI. They must have all been war criminals under your argument Oralloy.

Nope. The armbands satisfied the requirement for proper attire.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 10:26 am
parados wrote:

I've seen this claimed before, although this is the first I've seen it claimed on A2K.

All the earlier times I saw the claim, I asked some questions to try to see if this headgear would satisfy the requirements for a proper uniform.

Each time, all my questions were dodged, and the reply was little more than an emotional outburst.

Because of this I've never given much credence to the black headband claim.

However, if the Combatant Status Review Tribunal (or some other tribunal) starts trying to separate lawful from unlawful combatants, the lawyers for the people in front of the tribunal will be free to make a case that these black headbands satisfy the requirement for proper attire.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 10:44 am
oralloy wrote:
parados wrote:

The last time I checked arm bands are NOT the same thing as a uniform.

Your claim has been consistently that without a uniform they were unlawful.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 10:54 am
oralloy wrote:
parados wrote:

I've seen this claimed before, although this is the first I've seen it claimed on A2K.

All the earlier times I saw the claim, I asked some questions to try to see if this headgear would satisfy the requirements for a proper uniform.

Each time, all my questions were dodged, and the reply was little more than an emotional outburst.

Because of this I've never given much credence to the black headband claim.

However, if the Combatant Status Review Tribunal (or some other tribunal) starts trying to separate lawful from unlawful combatants, the lawyers for the people in front of the tribunal will be free to make a case that these black headbands satisfy the requirement for proper attire.

Yet you completely ignored the US army manual that states very clearly that a uniform is NOT required. They only need something that designates them including just a headress.

What evidence do you have that they did NOT have anything distinctive? Even the testimony from the tribunals seem to indicate that some of them wore olive drab coats or were issued military clothing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Geo_Swan/Guantanamo/Taliban_uniform

But this all goes back to your claim that without a uniform they violated the GC. No such fact exists in the GC or in the US army literature or in any treaties or other rulings I can find on laws of war. You have still not provided one solid piece of evidence to back up your claim.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 11:55 am
oralloy wrote:
Setanta wrote:
There is no "customary" requirement that "lawful" combatants wear a uniform.

That is not correct. There most certainly is such a requirement.

The requirement was loosened (only in limited circumstances) by Protocol I. However protocol I doesn't apply, and even if it did, the situation wouldn't fit the limited circumstances.

You have provided no evidence for your claim, and i frankly don't expect that you will. I have provided the evidence (in the article with which i began the thread) that Khadr was proclaimed an enemy combatant, and i've provided the evidence, by quoting the Convention, which i also linked, to show that it is not necessary for a combatant to wear a uniform. This is clearly a case of put up or shut up, but so far, you have neither put up (any evidence for your claim), nor have you shut with regard to your continual and unsubstantiated claim that an enemy combatant must wear a uniform.

To repeat--you have provided no evidence for your claim.

Quote:
Setanta wrote:
The Convention never mentions "customary requirements."

True that it doesn't mention them for the armed forces of a party to the conflict. However that does not mean the requirements do not exist.

In that case, it should be the simplest of matters for you to present your evidence that this is true, and link your source.

I await that happy development with breath abated.

Quote:
Setanta wrote:
In the case of Omar Khadr, the military tribunal which determined his status did not declare him to be an unlawful combatant, so your argument is specious.

The Combatant Status Review Tribunal has thus far not tried to separate lawful combatant from unlawful combatant.

I expect they may start doing so very soon however.

I wonder then, how it was that the military judge dismissed Khadr's case based on the determination that he was an enemy combatant.

Quote:
Setanta wrote:
And that is the point of this thread, the military tribunal being the "competent tribunal" mentioned in the Convention. I didn't name this thread "Omar Khadr," i named it "Unlawful Combatant," because that is the issue--whether or not and who is to be considered an unlawful combatant among those currently held in Guantanamo.

I'd say "who" would be all the combatants who were fighting without a proper uniform.

What you would say is not relevant. What a competent tribunal as provided for in the Convention will say is all that matters.

Quote:
Setanta wrote:
Khadr only enters into the discussion because of the dismissal of his case by a military tribunal based on his classification as an "enemy combatant." Based on the convention, that makes him a soldier, whether or not you like the way he chose to dress for the party.

It makes him a soldier for now. I wouldn't place great odds on him retaining that status for very long.

I wasn't offering to bet on Khadr's fate. Once again, the subject of this thread is who is or is not to be considered an enemy combatant--the subject is not specifically Omar Khadr, although as i introduced the topic with reference to his case, it is not unreasonable to use him as an example. So far, on the basis of providing evidence for one's claims, your score is zero.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 01:43 pm
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
parados wrote:

The last time I checked arm bands are NOT the same thing as a uniform.

You are mistaken. The armbands satisfy the requirement for a proper uniform.

parados wrote:
What evidence do you have that they did NOT have anything distinctive?

Just the fact that so far no one has made a convincing case that they did.

parados wrote:
But this all goes back to your claim that without a uniform they violated the GC.

Not so much that they violated it. More that they fail to qualify for the part that covers POWs.

parados wrote:
No such fact exists in the GC or in the US army literature or in any treaties or other rulings I can find on laws of war.

Have you looked into customary law any?

parados wrote:
You have still not provided one solid piece of evidence to back up your claim.

That is incorrect. I provided a quote from the Red Cross commentaries on the Geneva Conventions -- in fact, from the part where they were talking about the rules for who qualifies for POW protection.

I even put part of the quote in all caps to draw attention to the part where they noted that armed forces were required to follow customary law.

It was back on page 9, but I'll repeat it here:

Quote:
The expression "members of regular armed forces" denotes armed forces which differ from those referred to in sub-paragraph (1) of this paragraph in one respect only: the authority to which they profess allegiance is not recognized by the adversary as a Party to the [p.63] conflict. These "regular armed forces" have all the material characteristics and all the attributes of armed forces in the sense of sub-paragraph (1): THEY WEAR UNIFORM, they have an organized hierarchy and THEY KNOW AND RESPECT THE laws and CUSTOMS OF WAR. The delegates to the 1949 Diplomatic Conference were therefore fully justified in considering that there was no need to specify for such armed forces the requirements stated in sub-paragraph (2) (a), (b), (c) and (d).

It is quite clear that the commentators were well aware both of the fact that armed forces are required to follow the customary rules of combat, and that those customary rules include wearing a proper uniform.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 01:44 pm
Setanta wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Setanta wrote:
There is no "customary" requirement that "lawful" combatants wear a uniform.

That is not correct. There most certainly is such a requirement.

The requirement was loosened (only in limited circumstances) by Protocol I. However protocol I doesn't apply, and even if it did, the situation wouldn't fit the limited circumstances.

You have provided no evidence for your claim, and i frankly don't expect that you will. I have provided the evidence (in the article with which i began the thread) that Khadr was proclaimed an enemy combatant, and i've provided the evidence, by quoting the Convention, which i also linked, to show that it is not necessary for a combatant to wear a uniform.

It is true that category 6 doesn't require a uniform, but it only applies to civilians who spontaneously take up arms without having time to organize into a coherent military force. Since Taliban fighters had ample time to organize themselves, I don't see how category 6 could possibly apply to them.

Setanta wrote:
This is clearly a case of put up or shut up, but so far, you have neither put up (any evidence for your claim), nor have you shut with regard to your continual and unsubstantiated claim that an enemy combatant must wear a uniform.

The Red Cross commentaries on the Geneva Conventions note the requirement of a uniform for categories 1 and 3 of the six categories that qualify for POW status:

Quote:

Is there any case that can be made that Taliban fighters would qualify as a POW under a category other than 1, 2 or 3?

I don't think they would qualify under 4 or 5:

(4) Persons who accompany the armed forces without actually being members thereof, such as civilian members of military aircraft crews, war correspondents, supply contractors, members of labour units or of services responsible for the welfare of the armed forces, provided that they have received authorization from the armed forces which they accompany, who shall provide them for that purpose with an identity card similar to the annexed model. (5) Members of crews, including masters, pilots and apprentices, of the merchant marine and the crews of civil aircraft of the Parties to the conflict, who do not benefit by more favourable treatment under any other provisions of international law.

Also, while Protocol I doesn't apply to this conflict, since it relaxes the uniform requirement (in certain limited situations) it provides for additional commentary on the issue of uniforms, and thus more evidence that customary law requires it of armed forces.

http://www.icrc.org/ihl.nsf/COM/470-750054

Here is where they note an exception to the uniform requirement for members of an armed force:

Quote:
' Governmental armed forces '

1703 However,

"Regulars who are assigned to tasks where they must wear civilian clothes, as may be the case, for example, with advisers assigned to certain resistance units, are not required to wear the uniform when on such assignments". (51)

This means that the possibility for a combatant to distinguish himself from the civilian population solely by carrying arms openly, also exists for members of the regular armed forces, though only under the same exceptional circumstances as for members of so-called guerrilla forces. (52)

And here they note that they don't intend to relax the longstanding requirement of armed forces to wear uniforms:

Quote:
Paragraph 7 -- Confirmation of the practice concerning the wearing of a uniform by regular troops

1723 The general character of the heading of the Section "Combatant and prisonerof-war status" and the wording of the article itself, which refrains from referring explicitly to national liberation movements and to resistance movements, led to some concern amongst some delegations. They felt that this might lead to the interpretation that the generally accepted practice of States concerning the wearing of a uniform by combatants belonging to regular armies might be put into question. This was not the intention of the Conference, as is clearly indicated in this paragraph. Thus nothing has changed on this point regarding the recognized practice of States: a combatant of the regular army who engages in hostile acts in civilian clothing, without being able to rely on the conditions described in the second sentence of paragraph 3, is open to the accusation of perfidy (' Article 37 -- Prohibition of perfidy, ' paragraph 1(c)). (90) This does not mean that a combatant of a regular army can never dispense with wearing a uniform while he is engaged in hostile acts. However, this possibility is open to him, as we have seen above, (91) only in the same situations and under the same exceptional conditions as those which apply to members of guerrilla forces. Although not explicitly stated, this article is primarily aimed at guerrilla fighters.
0 Replies