Relocating advice – questions to ask when visiting

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:18 am
If anyone has read lately about a previous thread of mine - yes now we are considering relocating. I have never lived any where else but in the Boston area. I am not opposed to moving, just never really came up or ended up happening. Now after 40 years living in one area, I may relocate. I also have two one children - one that would be going into 4th grade and one that would be going into Kindergarten at that time - the move would not be until next summer.

We have a visit planned (on my company) to view the area for a few days. They have an informational session planned for one morning where the chamber of commerce is there and other such things that I guess are important for making such a decision. We will also be matched with a real estate agent that will spend the afternoon showing us around different neighborhoods that may interest us.

The other wrench in the whole things is we really haven't made a final decision and will not be able to until toward the end of this year. We are supposed to say whether we plan to move or not by the end of this month. If I say I will move, but don't, I will lose about 6 months severance and get no severance. If I say I won't move, but change my mind, I will get to have my job if it is still available - which is a very high chance it will be. They also threaten that I may not get all the relocation benefits they are offering (ie. Moving expenses, closing costs paid, free temporary housing, etc.), but I also doubt they will hold back as they want people to move.

Since I have no clue about relocating, what sort of things should I look to hear about or ask? Anything I should consider?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,000 • Replies: 15
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:26 am
First off, don't worry about your kids - they are too young for it to be an overly dramatic move issue.

You need to be more concerned with your overall welfare. First off, have you ever been to the new location? Do you like it? If it doesn't offer the amenities you are used to, can you adapt? What costs might you incur that are over and above what it costs to stay put (for example, do you need to get new 4WD vehicles?). Will your salary remain the same? If not, you have to make sure you can adjust you spending down, cost of living be damned (trust me, most places really cost about the same even though they don't, it's cash flow you have to watch).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:44 am
What about your husband's business?

Anyway, I've done the relocating thing plenty o' times, can't stand it but to try to come up with some pointers:

- Do what you can to check out schools. Realtors will often have information for you. The quality of the schools has a lot of bearing on your quality of life, for many reasons. Probably best to research this ahead of time and then, if there's any real chance of you relocating, visit the top 3 schools/ districts while you're there. (Not sure if that's possible this time of year.)

- Your parents currently provide childcare, right? And you and your husband will be working? Childcare is something else to look into, then. (Price, quality, availability.)

- General homework -- most all cities have their own websites, go there and look around. I moved to Pasadena sight unseen -- I'd never been there until I moved there -- but there was a "clickable tour" online (a map with dots, click on the dot and see a photo of what you'd be looking at if you were standing there) that gave me a good idea of what to expect.

- Once you have narrowed things down a bit (if you are able to do this before you go on the trip, or maybe later on if it looks very possible that you'll relocate), talk to locals. Like, the specific neighborhood you're thinking of living in. Real estate agents vary, some of them will give you the straight dope, some of them just want to make a sale. Talking to people in the neighborhood gives you a better idea of what it's like.

- Later still -- drive through the neighborhood at night. Places can have a very different feel during the day and at night, good to know both.

That's just off the top of my head, will think about it more and come back if something else occurs...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:47 am
It is actually a better location for cost of living and I will make the same salary so in that respect the situation is better. I do not like the cold and winters so for me that is also better (my husband is of the same feeling too).

The other big issue is my parents now take care of children during some vacations and other days off. They are all very close (including me). Once when my husband mentioned moving elsewhere across the country, my mom started to get upset and cry. They know we going to visit because they are watching the kids, but I made it sound like (which it is actually true) that the company wants anyone slated to move to go visit even if they are not planning to. I was hoping they would come stay and live with us during the winters (which are very difficult for them now). For me this would be the hardest thing - to leave them.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:55 am
sozobe wrote:
What about your husband's business?

My goodness you have a good memory about my issues! Hubby has been having some difficulty with his business. It has been up and then recently down. And it is not just the money, but the time away from family. He didn't realize how tough it was going to be - to be away 7 days a week. That's why I mention not to commit until end of year - to see if he still feels the same way 6 months from now.

We will be entitled to 2 more trips to the area on the company once we commit. This trip ended up being last minute because I told my husband if we even have a little thought to relocating, we need to visit now (as these next weeks are the last visits the company is offering) - they were nice enough to squeeze us in last minute.

Yes that is also a concern - childcare during now school days - I do plan on asking about aftercare programs - I would only consider if they aftercare at the school they attend - hate the idea of busing from one place to another. Also, I need to find out about summer camps, programs during vacation weeks, etc.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 11:05 am
Where do they want to relocate you to? Would exchanging the New England winters and aging industries for a new home where hurricanes roam? Why is the company relocating? How likely is it that the company won't go bust in a year and leave you stranded in the new location? What are the comparative job opportunities in the two locations (Boston and where ever)? Will your husband have any problem finding appropriat work without losing too much in salary and benefits. Hard to underestimate the need for good health coverage.

You sound as if both you and your husband are inclined to relocate, but hate to leave home. There's a lot to be said for starting over in a new place, especially if the opportunities of improving your life are better than in your ancestral home. With modern communications and travel, the world is a whole lot smaller. We have weekly internet visits with our son and his family in Japan. This past weekend we watched our youngest grandson take his first step in San Francisco via the internet.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 11:13 am
Not the entire company is moving - just certain groups/jobs. The reasons all make very good business sense - it is a very large successful company that has been in existence a very long time. This seems to be more of an expansion than due to business issues or problems. It is highly unlikely the company would go bust.

One thing that is supposed to be discussed in the morning informational session is other companies in the area - how this area has been expanding and growing. I currently provide all the benefits and also since his business is breaking even/losing a bit, we are living off my one salary plus what we have put aside in savings. His prior work (before opening his business) would be well suited in an expanding area - he has worked extensively in recruiting new employees for businesses.

I agree about being able to maintain family ties - my husband's family is actually in Montana, California and Washington so we would now be more centrally located. I am more worried about how my family would take it. My parents have partially raised my kids at no cost to us and so I feel guilty about leaving them. It almost seems cruel.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 12:14 pm
List of questions in a new area:

1) What time do the bars open?
2) What time do the bars close?
3) How many, and where are the local strip clubs?
4) Do the women have "cold weather syndrome?"(coined by me, theory that women in states with cold weather such as Boston, NYC and Chicago have fatter asses because they eat & drink too much over the winter while they can still cover themselves with baggy clothes)
Almost forgot: 5) What year was the town founded?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 12:20 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

4) Do the women have "cold weather syndrome?"(coined by me, theory that women in states with cold weather such as Boston, NYC and Chicago have fatter asses because they eat & drink too much over the winter while they can still cover themselves with baggy clothes)

Some great questions - although I personally don't care about 4) and I am in Boston and don't have a fat a$$. I know that Texas doesn't have strip clubs, but "Gentlemen Clubs" are on every corner.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 12:41 pm
Along with what everyone else said, it might make sense to think about the things you like about where you live now and actively look for those things when you visit. For me those were things like walkable areas, public transportation, bike trails, the weather, arts and culture, museums, etc... Also look into doctors and hospitals -- you just never know when you might need a good one.

I know what you mean about wanting to have family nearby. It makes sense that your parents may want to spend winters with you as they get on in age. So maybe if you're looking for a house you might want to look for one with a guest suite.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 12:44 pm
Linkat wrote:
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

Some great questions - although I personally don't care about 4) and I am in Boston and don't have a fat a$$. I know that Texas doesn't have strip clubs, but "Gentlemen Clubs" are on every corner.

And I actually don't care about #3, as I'm not a fan of strip clubs. However, I wanted to look cool...I was even "smoking" a candy cigarette when I wrote that. BOOYA!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 12:45 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Along with what everyone else said, it might make sense to think about the things you like about where you live now and actively look for those things when you visit. For me those were things like walkable areas, public transportation, bike trails, the weather, arts and culture, museums, etc... Also look into doctors and hospitals -- you just never know when you might need a good one.

I know what you mean about wanting to have family nearby. It makes sense that your parents may want to spend winters with you as they get on in age. So maybe if you're looking for a house you might want to look for one with a guest suite.

That is exactly what I was looking for - a guest suite - also I saw a really cool house with a lake view and it had a guest house in the yard! That would be perfect. The one thing I think would be hardest is to not live near the ocean - I love the ocean - but perhaps a nice big lake could replace that.

I can definately live without public transportation - since driving to work, I really do not think I could take the subway again - the train yes, but not the subway.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 12:50 pm
I like Texas, and we considered at one time a move to San Antonio, or Austin. The tax situation in Texas is probably a bit different than you are used to, so check that out. Dallas and Houston are important urban centers, but we prefer mid-sized cities. The weather in west Texas is pretty good, but there are occasional tornadoes and the lack of humidity may take some getting used to for New Englanders. The natives tend to be very friendly, and you can find silence and solitude without driving too far. Of course, for us westerners a hundred miles is just around the corner. Big distances and distant prospects of awe inspiring landscape. C'mon down!

There are a lot of real estate sites on the internet. Texas real estate should be much cheaper than Boston and its environs.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 12:52 pm
So you're moving to Texas? You're gonna need bigger guns. Those Massachusetts pea shooters ain't gonna cut it. I know a mad guitarist that can consult on what you should get. Wink
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 12:57 pm
Lack of humidity would be great - especially those hot days. Yeah I read about the tornados - they scare the heck outta me. I did notice the tax situation - it looked like the property taxes were extremely high. I wondered if they perhaps didn't tax your income so much - I know that New Hampshire is a bit like that - no tax on your income, but property taxes are high.

I agree about the real estate prices - I've been looking around and for what I own in a 1800 sq foot condo - I could at least double in size in a home with our own back yard, garage and pool.

I don't carry a gun - I did think about that as well believe it or not. A good friend of mine told me about Texan mentality on lots of things including their God given rights to pack guns.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 12:58 pm
Realtor.com was the site I used to find the house I'm living in now, really good site.

On my first trip here, I used it to narrow down I think 5 houses I wanted to see -- not to buy, but to get an idea of what the market was like and what was available. Realtors showed us those 5 and then added 2-3 more that they thought we might like.

Second trip was the real deal -- E.G. had accepted the job, the trip was to buy a house. I narrowed it down to I think a dozen, realtors added several more. This was the one I most liked before I saw it, this was the one we liked most after we saw it.

Third trip was just E.G., for housing inspection + closing.

Then we moved here!

I hate the process but I love it here, it definitely can work out really well.
0 Replies