Will the far Right be America's new Al Qaeda?

xingu

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 03:29 pm
Quote:
Will a Dem Win in 2008 Generate Rightwing Violence?
by Meteor Blades
Sat Jun 02, 2007 at 11:53:11 PM PDT

Three bloggers - digby at Hullabaloo, David Neiwart at Orcinus and Rick Perlstein at the Campaign for America's Future - have recently been discussing a subject that needs a good deal more attention: the potential for outbreaks of rightwing violence if the Republicans, who have embraced outrageously violent talk in many forums, are booted out of power come November 2008.

Since 9/11, rightwing violence has gotten little media attention. Not because there hasn't been any. For instance, there was the bomb found April 25 at the Austin Women's Health Center in Austin, Texas. It didn't explode. But as Feministe pointed out:

Quote:
Had that bomb been found outside a post office or a school, the headlines would have been hysterically running on about ZOMG TERRORISM TERRORISM IS AL QAEDA INVOLVED? And the right-wing warbloggers would be pissing their pants and hyperventilating about profiling Arabs and banning Muslims from public life and dhimmitude and how if they had been there, they'd have stopped it with their concealed carry and their extra-super special powers of righteousness, just like they saw in a movie once and BOMB IRAN! and 9/11 CHANGED EVERYTHING!!! but they still have better things to do than join the military, but they'll be happy to go into the woods and hunt Russians and shout WOLVERINES!!

But it's an abortion clinic, so. Ho-hum.

In other words, no press coverage to speak of.

As Perlstein noted:
Quote:
If the media does not start connecting some dots, they will have abdicated their citizenship duties. How many times has the nation potentially come within a hair's breadth of suffering a right-wing terrorist attack this spring? As of today, three, or possibly six times - at least that we know about.

• Late in April, 150 federal, state, and local law enforcement officers carried out simultaneous raids in four Alabama counties in a sweep that yielded 130 grenades, a rocket launcher, and 2,500 rounds of ammunition.. In the town of Trussville, it took a U-haul truck to cart away all the materiel. At the Collinsville camper belonging to militia "major" Taymond Dillard, agents first had to defuse trip-wires rigged to explode hand grenades to kill intruders.

• Right-wing vigilantes arrested in a scuffle at one of the May 1 immigration marches, in Washington D.C., was found to have a stash of automatic weapons and explosives in his home.

• Now this, the violence allegedly thwarted at Falwell's funeral. One of the suspects is a soldier at Fort Benning - yes, he traveled all the way from Georgia with his munitions. Another was a high school student.

There could well be worse to come.

digby wrote:
Quote:
I predict that we are going to see a remarkable resurgence of rightwing violence if the Democrats take full control of the government. These people are always surprisingly cooperative when the government is run by Republicans and then rediscover their "anti-government" beliefs when Democrats share or dominate the government. I can't imagine why that would be.

We will also, sadly, see veterans involved in this. Aside from the PTSD they will come home to a world that isn't very understanding. How could we be? They've been in hell. I suspect that some of them will be attracted to the rightwing militia (or worse) unless the government makes some very aggressive moves to help these people out and provide every kind of counselling and support they can think of. The last thing we need are hardened Iraq veterans finding solace with the rightwing terrorists.

Neiwart, who knows this subject forward and backward, took the deepest look. As always, it's impossible to do justice to long pieces with a few excerpts, so I urge you to follow that length to the full post and read it all:

Quote:
My own sense all along has been that the far right went into a kind of dormancy during the GOP reign because they felt their issues were being addressed; most average militiamen voted for Bush, as near as I can tell. I've noted previously that many militias dropped off the map after the 2000 election, and the former leader of at least one of them -- Norm Olson of the Michigan Militia -- said it was because most of his troops were happy with Bush's election and felt that their former issues (particularly their hatred of the United Nations and their gun-control paranoia) were being addressed, as in fact they were.

Certainly the trend of the past couple of decades has been that the right-wing extremists tend to ease up more when Republicans rule the roost, and become much more virulently active when Democrats are in charge. This fits in with a much longer pattern, dating back to the 19th century and even before, of the extremist right acting as a kind of cultural and political wedge to separate working-class people from the progressives whose interests they actually share, especially in terms of curbing the effects of corporate and rampant capitalist behavior. ...

There were also figures like Richard Mellon Scaife, who in addition to exploiting old far-right segregationists in Arkansas and elsewhere in the South, also underwrote a number of "softer" Patriot organizations, such as Joseph Farah's WorldNetDaily. His newspaper, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, regularly ran editorials and "news" stories promoting a bevy of Clinton-related conspiracy theories, notably the "Vince Foster was murdered" nonsense, as well as various "New World Order" pieces; both, you may recall, were favorites of the militia movement.

So I think it's a fairly easy prediction that looming Democratic rule, already manifesting itself in Congress and likely to consolidate with the presidency next election season, will produce an upswing in far-right activity, particularly the spread of conspiracy theories, fearmongering, and bogus smear campaigns. As Perlstein noted a little while back, that has been the essence of the conservative movement's appeal for the better part of four decades now anyway. It's what they bring to the political table. ...

And in recent months, especially as the prospect of the voting public giving movement conservatives the boot loomed larger, we've seen cases like Chad Castagana, in which formerly mainstream conservatives -- self-admittedly inspired by the hateful rhetoric of people like Ann Coulter and Michelle Malkin -- have crossed over into actual domestic terrorism, inspired not just by hatred of the government but hatred of liberals. ...

So it's going to be up to progressives to seize this bull by the horns. They're going to have to anticipate an increasingly violent political environment, and understand that their most effective strategies in defusing it lie in turning the violence into a moral victory (particularly when it's demonstrated that far-right factions are the instigators) and in undermining their appeal by working hard to champion the interest of the same working-class people the extremists depend upon for recruitment.
Digby is right that this is a conversation we need to be having.

Unfortunately, it happens to revolve around a political force -- the extremist right -- that few people care to acknowledge, let alone confront. Because of that, it has managed to creep itself into a position of significant influence in our lives, both political and personal. It's time the rest of us awoke to that reality.

In other words, it can happen here. In addition to being on the receiving end of state-authorized violence, I've seen a bit of rightwing violence up close in my time - an abortion clinic firebombed, serial death-threats from a group that had already assassinated a talk-radio host, a pipe-bomb that fizzled under a colleague's car. The hatred that led Tim McVeigh or Eric Rudolph to commit their murderous acts is still with us, indeed, deeply embedded, and spouted by the likes of Ann Coulter, Hal Turner and others of their ilk from their high-wattage podiums. We ignore this hatred and its fascistic purveyors at our peril.

http://meteor-blades.dailykos.com/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,758 • Replies: 21
No top replies

mrcolj

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 03:40 pm
Well, you're not going to get very far in starting a discussion by quoting extreme points of the almost-terrorist group "the daily kos." Naw, you'd do better by quoting in and out of the wikipedia on a discussion of the evolution of The Bund in America before WWII.

My opinion: first off, I find it hard to imagine, especially looking at any polls, that the Republicans can lose the Presidency in 2008. It's possible, but Hillary hasn't even scored third on any poll yet. Obama could do it, but he can't get party support against Hillary.

Second, remember the right wing are generally the spiritual side of the aisle--I find it offensive to say that aloud, but in self-reports it generally turns out that way. There has rarely in history been a riot caused by the religious parties of the day--riots are only caused by lazy people looking for something to blame their want of a TV on.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 04:47 pm
mrcolj wrote:
Well, you're not going to get very far in starting a discussion by quoting extreme points of the almost-terrorist group "the daily kos." Naw, you'd do better by quoting in and out of the wikipedia on a discussion of the evolution of The Bund in America before WWII.

My opinion: first off, I find it hard to imagine, especially looking at any polls, that the Republicans can lose the Presidency in 2008. It's possible, but Hillary hasn't even scored third on any poll yet. Obama could do it, but he can't get party support against Hillary.

Second, remember the right wing are generally the spiritual side of the aisle--I find it offensive to say that aloud, but in self-reports it generally turns out that way. There has rarely in history been a riot caused by the religious parties of the day--riots are only caused by lazy people looking for something to blame their want of a TV on.

Al Qaeda is spiritual as well.

Sometimes the spiritual ones are the most dangerous.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 05:13 pm
mrcolj wrote:
There has rarely in history been a riot caused by the religious parties of the day--riots are only caused by lazy people looking for something to blame their want of a TV on.

Mr Colj,

You haven't ever heard of the KKK, have you?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 06:04 pm
Just Another Right-Wing Troll.

JARWiTs....
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 06:10 pm
Ever hear of the American taliban?

http://www.christianaggression.org/item_display.php?type=ARTICLES&id=1133726368
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 09:35 pm
This is an interesting subject. I seem to recall that after Clinton won re-election there were people writing opeds on the virtues of revolution, claiming that he did not govern with the consent of the governed. I wonder if we'll hear more of that if another Democrat is elected, and if they have the power now to back it up.
0 Replies

mrcolj

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 08:54 am
DrewDad, I have 138 posts and I'm from Marin County. That doesn't sound like a troll to me.

Well, point #1 is that spiritual is not the same as religious. I mean that in a sociological sense--religiosity is how much they go to and obey a religion, and spirituality is how much they take the internal journey. Those who are religious and not spiritual are the ones who become Al Quaeda and the like, and I don't believe those groups exist in sufficient numbers to cause any real problems in the U.S. Yes, I, like you, can name plenty of blind faith based religions; but I just don't think they're actually going to revolt anytime soon. Oh, I am so tempted to name them... Smile Much more plausible, but still unlikely, is the Mexicans revolting because of Republican deportations and border crackdowns.

That's a fun site (christianagression.com). I like it. It still seems to be a mix of reasonable statements by famous people with wacko statements from non-famous people. And of course they're mostly ridiculously out of context. But the non-famous people are still famous within their industry, and none of us know how big those groups are, and that's the problem. The question is whether any of these leaders or their groups can lead to violence.

And regarding whether the KKK will riot when a Democrat is elected--the KKK was always a Democratic group, and to this day are generally right-wing independents and old-school Democrats. But again, not religious (or spiritual) people, and not people who can or will start fights. As long as the winner gets 50.1% of the vote, the conservatives will stay quiet. Air America types generally only rise on the opposite side of the aisle. Remember, Republicans aren't activists or protestors--they're conservative because they have a theistic respect for the constitution and "democracy and freedom and stuff"... There are conservative conspiracies and pressure groups, but they're not as accepted among conservatives as, say, PETA is by liberals.

I actually used to work for a high school where many of the teachers said the kind of stuff you linked to, so I know the tone much of it was said in, and I promise you not a single student or staff member at that school is capable of violence or tolerating such. Quite the contrary, I never hear of a building being blown up or the like but that it is accomplished by someone who votes entirely the opposite of these people.

Anyway, discuss...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 09:00 am
Colj,

You are switching contexts.

I put foward the KKK as an example of a religious group and the KKK is first and foremost a religious group. Whether they are Democrat or Republican is irrelevant.

You were making the point that conservative religious people never riot. I was only pointing out that this is completely false-- and our history of lynch mobs (and present day clinic bombings) disprove it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 09:15 am
Quote:
Quite the contrary, I never hear of a building being blown up or the like but that it is accomplished by someone who votes entirely the opposite of these people.

Really?

I can't recall the last building that was blown up by Leftists. Can you?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 09:18 am
For that matter, I can't remember the last time a building was blown up by someone who wasn't religious.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 09:23 am
In fact, the last two incidents of bomb threats/usage here in America were...

A Right-wing kid from Bob Jones Uni threatening to throw napalm on people during the Funeral of ol' whats' his name a few weeks ago,

And a bomb at an abortion clinic in Austin, TX.

Real left-wing violence there

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 09:27 am
If you can remember the apoplectic fit the conservatives had when Bill Clinton was elected president, try to imagine what it will be if Hillery were put into office.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 09:32 am
I'm not much of a Hillery fan myself but, God, I sometimes think I would love to see her win the Presidency just to see how the conservatives will react.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:41 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Really?

I can't recall the last building that was blown up by Leftists. Can you?

Cycloptichorn

Sure. Sterling Hall. University of Wisonsin-Madison campus. 1970.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:43 am
9 years before my birth - no wonder I can't remember it.

We seem to have had a long track record of safety from the Liberal Terrorist.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:48 am
eco-terrorism

The following targets were hit by animal liberation activists in 2001:

10 fur stores
8 Stephens Inc. targets
7 Bank of New York offices or facilities
5 research labs
2 Bank of America offices or facilities
4 animal breeders
4 meat stores
3 fur farms
3 McDonalds
3 Dairy Queen
3 Burger King
3 factory farms
2 HLS targets
2 Pizza Hut
1 KFC
1 Wendy's
1 hunting store
1 pet store

1 wild horse facility
1 circus animal train

Damaged property:

approx. 150 windows or glass doors
approx. 11 vehicles and 1 yacht
4 fires were set

Animals rescued or released:

3000 mink
1047 ducks and ducklings
469 chickens
200 horses
62 pigeons
50 geese
44 beagles
28 rabbits
12 perch
10 ferrets
2 hermit crabs
1 snail

I am sure there are plenty of other examples if you actually cared beyond the talking point.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 11:06 am
McGentrix wrote:
Damaged property:

approx. 150 windows or glass doors
approx. 11 vehicles and 1 yacht
4 fires were set

The Red Army Brigades would have been envious....
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 11:33 am
... the obvious question is why terrorism commited by people with conservative/religious agenda-- such as Tim McVeigh's bombing of the Federal Building in Oklahomo city, abortion clinic bombings and the 9/11 attacks, get all of the press.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 11:51 am
Could it be the number of deaths they cause?

How many people were killed by animal liberation activist?

Perhaps we should consider the releasing 3,000 minks a greater crime than killing 3,000 people. If we did that those evil animal liberation activist will be the envy of Al Qaeda.
0 Replies