Hey can someone help me translate...

REBEKAH

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 12:40 pm
i would like to know how to say..." live not on evil " in latin. if anyone can help me out ,it be much appreciated. Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 524 • Replies: 4
No top replies

mrcolj

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 03:22 pm
First you'll have to flesh out what you mean by that in English, and how you'll use it. I mean, if you mean "I refuse to base my life on sin" that's a different thing than "Don't profit from dishonesty." Although both apply to the car salesmen I encountered the other day.

But, first stab, I'd say
"Nolo vivere in peccato," basically, "I will not live in sin."
maybe ob peccato could render a "because of sin."

Anyway, play with a latin dictionary on google if you want, or just find 5 different ways of phrasing what you want translated and we'll get the gist to you, suitable for any office wall or D&D shield.
0 Replies

REBEKAH

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 04:49 pm
THANX . DNT WANT 2 B DIFFICULT BUT....
Isnt it possible to translate it into latin literally word for word ." live not on evil " ( did u notice its spelt the same backwards and forwards ? .thats cool me thinx :wink: ) anyway yay or nay thanks 4 tryin 2 help Very Happy
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 08:47 am
Re: THANX . DNT WANT 2 B DIFFICULT BUT....
REBEKAH wrote:
Isnt it possible to translate it into latin literally word for word ." live not on evil " ( did u notice its spelt the same backwards and forwards ? .thats cool me thinx :wink: ) anyway yay or nay thanks 4 tryin 2 help Very Happy

Word for word, it would look like this:

vive non in malo

However that would not be correct grammatically (and it would no longer
be a palindrome).
0 Replies

mrcolj

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 08:59 am
Rebekah, look up The Sator Square. It's an excellent example of a palindromatic phrase, and one that works in 4 directions.
0 Replies