Big Oil's Ads Against Price-Gouging, Windfall Profits Tax

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 09:24 am
API Runs Ads Against Price-Gouging, Windfall Profits Tax
The Politico
Friday 01 June 2007

The American Petroleum Institute has hit the airwaves to beat back calls on Capitol Hill to create a windfall profits tax or make price-gouging a federal crime, airing radio ads in "most major media markets" during this week's congressional recess to remind consumers about the negative impact Congress had when it tried to temper gas prices in the 1970s.

The ads take a not-so-nostalgic view of the disco era to warn voters of the long lines at the pump when Congress tried to reduce the cost of gasoline by taking on oil-producing countries with a series of price controls and energy taxes, an API spokesman said.

An announcer encourages listeners to "tell Congress to leave relics like gasoline price controls and policies that discourage domestic energy development where they belong, back in the 1970s," according to excerpts published in the Houston Chronicle on Friday.

Juan Palomo, a spokesman for the association, would not give details about the cost of the media buy or specify where the group is airing these ads. He said the ads began airing last week and would run through the end of the current recess.

The House passed a price-gouging bill right before members left for the Memorial Day recess, and the Senate is expected to take up comparable legislation shortly after members return to Washington as part of a broader energy bill.

The ads are part of a wider media campaign to confront mounting complaints against the oil and gas industry in the face of ever-rising fuel prices, particularly during the busy summer travel period.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,070 • Replies: 26
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 09:27 am
Edwards Calls for Probe of Oil Industry
Edwards Calls for Probe of Oil Industry
By May Wong
The Associated Press
Thursday 31 May 2007

Democratic presidential hopeful John Edwards on Thursday called for a federal investigation into possible antitrust violations by the oil industry and criticized oil companies for raising gas prices.

"There's absolutely no justification for the gas companies to be as profitable as they are and have the taxpayers subsidizing the industry," Edwards said.

The former senator from North Carolina spoke to reporters during a brief campaign stop at a restaurant in Silicon Valley to outline an energy plan he said would help get America "off its oil addiction."

Wendy Li, the co-owner of a family run sheet metal manufacturing company in San Jose, joined Edwards during the appearance to tell him how soaring gas prices have put financial pressure on the business and her family.

"It's holding us hostage," said Li, an Edwards campaign volunteer. "And you can't just say 'drive less.'"

Edwards said his plan would seek to provide economic relief while increasing industry oversight and reducing America's petroleum-reliant habits. It proposes:

An independent Justice Department investigation into the wave of mergers of oil companies, the cause of higher gas prices and possible remedies.

Raising federal auto fuel economy requirements to 40 miles per gallon from the current 27.5 mpg by 2016.

Expanding use of biofuels such as ethanol, including a requirement for oil companies to make available E-85 fuel (which has 85 percent ethanol) at a quarter of their stations. Edwards wants all new cars to be able to use E-85 by 2010.

Mandatory restrictions on emissions of carbon dioxide with an aim to cut greenhouse gases by 80 percent by mid-century.

Creating a $13 billion energy fund from the sale of greenhouse gas permits and ending some tax breaks for the oil industry. The money would be used to support biofuels and conservation technologies.
Tupper Hull, spokesman for the Sacramento-based Western States Petroleum Association, said the region's high gas prices reflect market rates, and an antitrust investigation would be a waste of time. He said the industry has been the subject of more than 20 state and federal investigations over the past two decades.

Rival Democratic presidential candidates, including Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama (news, bio, voting record), also have called for expanded ethanol use and other measures to reduce U.S. reliance on oil.
----------------------------------------

Associated Press Writer Rachel Konrad in San Francisco contributed to this story.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 08:09 am
Oil Industry Scales Back Refinery Plans
Oil Industry Scales Back Refinery Plans
The Associated Press
Sunday 17 June 2007

Washington - A push from Congress and the White House for huge increases in biofuels, such as ethanol, is prompting the oil industry to scale back its plans for refinery expansions. That could keep gasoline prices high, possibly for years to come.

With President Bush calling for a 20 percent drop in gasoline use and the Senate now debating legislation for huge increases in ethanol production, oil companies see growing uncertainty about future gasoline demand and little need to expand refineries or build new ones.

Oil industry executives no longer believe there will be the demand for gasoline over the next decade to warrant the billions of dollars in refinery expansions - as much as 10 percent increase in new refining capacity - they anticipated as recently as a year ago.

Biofuels such as ethanol and efforts to get automakers to build more fuel-efficient cars and SUVs have been portrayed as key to countering high gasoline prices, but they are likely to do little to curb costs at the pump today, or in the years ahead as refiners reduce gasoline production.

A shortage of refineries frequently has been blamed by politicians for the sharp price spikes in gasoline, as was the case last week by Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., during debate on a Senate energy bill.

"The fact is that Americans are paying more at the pump because we do not have the domestic capacity to refine the fuels consumers demand," Inhofe complained as he tried unsuccessfully to get into the bill a proposal to ease permitting and environmental rules for refineries.

This spring, refiners, hampered by outages, could not keep up with demand and imports were down because of greater fuel demand in Europe and elsewhere. Despite stable - even sometimes declining - oil prices, gasoline prices soared to record levels and remain well above $3 a gallon.

Consumer advocates maintain the oil industry likes it that way.

"By creating a situation of extremely tight supply, the oil companies gain control over price at the wholesale level," said Mark Cooper of the Consumer Federation of America. He argued that a wave of mergers in recent years created a refining industry that "has no interest in creating spare (refining) capacity."

Only last year, the Energy Department was told that refiners, reaping big profits and anticipating growing demand, were looking at boosting their refining capacity by more than 1.6 million barrels a day, a roughly 10 percent increase. That would be enough to produce an additional 37 million gallons of gasoline daily.

But oil companies already have scaled those expansion plans back by nearly 40 percent. More cancelations are expected if Congress passes legislation now before the Senate calling for 15 billion gallons of ethanol use annually by 2015 and more than double that by 2022, say industry and government officials.

"These (expansion) decisions are being revisited in boardrooms across the refining sector," said Charlie Drevna, executive vice president of the National Petrochemical and Refiners Association.

With the anticipated growth in biofuels, "you're getting down to needing little or no additional gasoline production" above what is being made today, said Joanne Shore, an analyst for the government's Energy Information Administration.

In 2006, motorists used 143 billion gallons of gasoline, of which 136 billion was produced by U.S. refineries, and the rest imported.

Drevna, the industry lobbyist, said annual demand had been expected to grow to about 161 billion gallons by 2017. But Bush's call to cut gasoline demand by 20 percent - through a combination of fuel efficiency improvements and ethanol - would reduce that demand below what U.S. refineries make today, he said.

"We will end up exporting gasoline," said Drevna.

Asked recently whether Chevron Corp. might build a new refinery, vice chairman Peter Robertson replied, "Why would I invest in a refinery when you're trying to make 20 percent of the gasoline supply ethanol?"

Valero Corp., the nation's largest refiner producing 3.3 million barrels a day of petroleum product, recently boosted production capacity at its Port Arthur, Texas, refinery by 325,000 barrels a day. But company spokesman Bill Day said some additional expansions have been postponed.

"That's not to say we've changed our plans," Day said in an interview. "But it's fair to say we're taking a closer look at what the president is saying and what Congress is saying" about biofuels. He said there's a "mixed message" coming out of Washington, calling for more production but also for reducing gasoline demand.

"It's something that we have to study pretty carefully," said Day.

Ron Lamberty of the American Coalition for Ethanol said all the talk about biofuels threatening gasoline production is the "latest attempt to blame ethanol on Big Oil's failure to meet our energy needs."

"The ethanol industry continues to grow while oil refiners continue to make excuses for maintaining their profitable status quo," said Lamberty.

Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., said consolidation of the oil industry into fewer companies has left them with no incentive to expand refineries.

"It's a perverted system that does not act as a free market system would act," said Dorgan. "If you narrow the neck of refining, you actually provide a greater boost to prices which is a greater boost to profitability."

Richard Blumenthal, the attorney general of Connecticut, wants Congress to require refiners to maintain a supply cushion in case of unexpected outages.

In the 1980s, Blumenthal said at a recent hearing, refiners were producing at 77.6 percent of their capacity, "which allowed for easy increases in production to address shortages. In the 1990s, as the industry closed refineries, ... (that figure) rose to 91.4 percent, leaving little room for expansion to cover supply shortfalls."

The bill being debated in the Senate is HR 6.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 08:17 am
Democrat Plan re Billions in Oil Subsidies to Renewable Fuel
Is it possible that the oil industry's threat to reduce their refining capacity is to scare off the Congress' move to reallocate oil subsidies to renewable fuels? Naw! They wouldn't do that, would they? ---BBB
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 08:30 am
Re: Democrat Plan re Billions in Oil Subsidies to Renewable
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Is it possible that the oil industry's threat to reduce their refining capacity is to scare off the Congress' move to reallocate oil subsidies to renewable fuels? Naw! They wouldn't do that, would they? ---BBB

It's a reasonable business decision: Congress taxes profits from refining, and subsidizes alternative fuels. Both actions make refining less attractive to invest in. So oil companies reduce their investments in new refineries. Nothing mysterious about it, to say nothing of evil.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 08:42 am
Yes, but deceptive.

It reminds me of the ads I've seen run by PhamA, the Drug company lobbying group, asking people to ask Congress to 'not vote to give the power to the Gov't to negotiate drug prices.'

I always think, 'well, hell. I bet that's exactly what you guys want. But I doubt it's what Americans really would profit from, not being able to negotiate...'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 08:57 am
Well, since I haven't seen the commercials, I must defer to you on this point.

By the way, Congress has several projects going on, not all of them bad. The only bad one is the windfall tax. Profits from refining fluctuate widely from year to year. It would be a very bad idea to to pay the refiners a "windfall loss subsidy" in bad years. It's an equally bad idea to impose a windfall profit tax in good years. If refiners are a cartel, and if they are harming consumers through anti-competitive behavior, have the government prove it to a judge. That's what America has antitrust laws for. If the government can't prove it, it should leave the refiners alone.

"Leaving alone", of course, also includes cutting the subsidies and eventually eliminating them. I'm all for that.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 09:30 am
Thomas wrote:
Well, since I haven't seen the commercials, I must defer to you on this point.

By the way, Congress has several projects going on, not all of them bad. The only bad one is the windfall tax. Profits from refining fluctuate widely from year to year. It would be a very bad idea to to pay the refiners a "windfall loss subsidy" in bad years. It's an equally bad idea to impose a windfall profit tax in good years. If refiners are a cartel, and if they are harming consumers through anti-competitive behavior, have the government prove it to a judge. That's what America has antitrust laws for. If the government can't prove it, it should leave the refiners alone.

"Leaving alone", of course, also includes cutting the subsidies and eventually eliminating them. I'm all for that.

I agree with you about cutting the subsidies. I remember that one of Tom DeLay's last moves before leaving office was to ensure that several oil companies based in Houston got around 2 billion in tax breaks - and this was the same quarter that the said companies profited a combined 40 billion dollars or so.

If we aren't willing to cut the subsidies - and it doesn't seem like that will happen - then why not a profits tax to balance them out? Profit tax them exactly the amount they were subsidized. When they start bitching about that, tell them that we'd be happy to return to neutral, non-subsidized status for them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 09:58 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
If we aren't willing to cut the subsidies - and it doesn't seem like that will happen - then why not a profits tax to balance them out? Profit tax them exactly the amount they were subsidized.

Your approach would work, but only if every oil refinery was the same -- equally productive, and equally cushy with politicians near the pork barrel. But if they're not, your approach privileges refineries to the extent that they are lazy and corrupt (unprofitable but able to get lots of subsidies). Conversely, it punishes refineries to the exent that they are productive and unpolitical (profitable and independent of subsidies.) You don't want that, and neither do I.

And that's why I'm against an extra tax on profits, and for concentrating on subsidy cuts.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 10:12 am
Thomas wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
If we aren't willing to cut the subsidies - and it doesn't seem like that will happen - then why not a profits tax to balance them out? Profit tax them exactly the amount they were subsidized.

Your approach would work, but only if every oil refinery was the same -- equally productive, and equally cushy with politicians near the pork barrel. But if they're not, your approach privileges refineries to the extent that they are lazy and corrupt (unprofitable but able to get lots of subsidies). Conversely, it punishes refineries to the exent that they are productive and unpolitical (profitable and independent of subsidies.) You don't want that, and neither do I.

And that's why I'm against an extra tax on profits, and for concentrating on subsidy cuts.

Your plan is better. But why focus just on the refineries themselves? Our subsidies go towards things like exploration of new resources, transport, all sorts of odd expenses.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 10:21 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Your plan is better. But why focus just on the refineries themselves? Our subsidies go towards things like exploration of new resources, transport, all sorts of odd expenses.

No problem. I bless every cut of those subsidies, too. American gas prices have been ridiculously low for decades, and when I come to the US, I don't want train-commuting, bike-riding folks like you and me to subsidize other people's gas-guzzling. Not through any channel, direct or indirect. I just concentrated on refineries because they are what BBB's thread is about.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 12:14 pm
For some reason, people really get on oil companies when prices rise. Until a couple of years ago, prices were the same as when I was in college two decades ago. During that time, oil companies got no more money for their product (due to market pressures) and saw their expenses rise with inflation and the difficulty of finding and producing less accessable oil. Note that we did not say "poor oil companies, we should pay more." Those companies cut back on refineries and exploration. Their vendors often ceased operations. A few of them bit the bullet and became hard, lean corporations able to compete it the fierce marketplace. The foremost of these was... Exxon. Now the market has turned and Exxon is hauling in the cash. I say good for them, they earned it with their hard work over a long period of time. If you are calling foul about gas prices, why aren't you screaming about real estate in San Diego and other urban areas? Shouldn't we tax the daylights out of those real estate gains instead of fantisizing about our own property tripling in value with no work on our part?

Sorry, I digress. There is no need for subsidies to encourage refinery upgrades. The market is making it clear that there is money to be made there. BUT, you have to be careful about reducing those profits through taxes. When these companies put together proposals for spending capital, everything is calculated out. The Internal Rate of Return, the Net Present Value, etc. Projects that don't meet the corporate guidelines for return don't get funded. If tax laws change the payback on a project from three to five years, it probably won't move forward. If you don't believe that, you've never been through the process. A change from 1.0 to 1.2 years IRR won't hurt you, but the line is finer than you think.

Lastly, we can reduce our energy consumption dramatically if we have the will to do so. Take a bike, walk, etc. I don't have to tell people on A2K that. We can effectively build our own refinery by saving the equivilent of one. Don't complain about gas prices unless you've done your part to keep them under control.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 07:44 am
Engineer
Engineer, what you say might be more believable if it had not been for the experience of those who lived in California when big oil (and other energy providers, including Enron) made life miserable for people and damaged the economy. Their actions were well investigated and documented.

I consider big oil among the corporate criminal class.

BBB
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 07:54 am
Re: Engineer
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Engineer, what you say might be more believable if it had not been for the experience of those who lived in California when big oil (and other energy providers, including Enron) made life miserable for people and damaged the economy. Their actions were well investigated and documented.

I consider big oil among the corporate criminal class.

BBB

The same California that introduced the need for special blends of gasoline to meeting stringent emission standards?

They brought it on themselves.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 07:58 am
Re: Engineer
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Their actions were well investigated and documented.

Where? Is the source available online?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 08:24 am
BBB
Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
I mis-spoke (a senior moment?) when I assigned criminal activity to "big oil." It was big-electricity producers, many of whom started out as oil men and moved into natural gas and electricity production. Of course, natural gas is joined at the hip with oil production.

The major culprit was Enron in collusion with the grid operators.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_electricity_crisis

BBB
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 08:30 am
That is indeed a valid example of anti-competitive business practices by an oligopoly.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 08:03 pm
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
I mis-spoke (a senior moment?) when I assigned criminal activity to "big oil." It was big-electricity producers, many of whom started out as oil men and moved into natural gas and electricity production. Of course, natural gas is joined at the hip with oil production.

The major culprit was Enron in collusion with the grid operators.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_electricity_crisis

BBB

Glad you cleared that up. I thought I completely missed something. But back to oil and taxes, I think the way to go after gas mileage and conservation would be to put a guzzler tax on cars and have it be geometric. If we want the average fleet MPG to be 25, charge a tax of $50 for 24 MPG, $200 for 23, $450 for 22, etc. Anything over 30 would get a credit on an equal scale. You could get your 15 MPG sports car, but plan on paying a $5,000 tax. That also makes that Prius look pretty darn good.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 02:45 am
Taxing the car for guzzling gas, or subsidizing it for conserving it, won't target the most crucial part of every fuel-efficient car: its driver. What's wrong with just letting gas prices surge? It'll encourage drivers to buy fuel-efficient cars, plus it'll encourage them to drive slowly, or leave the car in the garage in the firstplace, or to share rides, or .... The possibilities are endless.

I'm all for high gasoline prices.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 04:58 am
In America people just bitch and keep buying SUV's.....through May '07 SUV/truck sales up, car sales down. People like what they like and that's what they're going to drive.
0 Replies