Welcome Back Dr. Jack!!

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 09:14 am
Welcome Back Dr. Jack!!
by Tom D'Antoni

While you were gone we here in Oregon passed the nation's first and most logical Physician-Assisted Suicide law, the Oregon Death With Dignity Act. Under it, after a process involving two doctors, and a lot of other screening, those who have a prognosis of six months to live or less, can get (usually) a fatal dose of liquid Nembutal and die peacefully, surrounded by family and friends (if they choose) or in solitude.

The religious fanatics who run things in Washington tried to knock out the law, Dr. Jack. It went to the U.S. Supreme Court. We won.

We're sorry you went to jail for the concept of controlling one's death the way one controls one's life.

We wish you had been able to control your own life these past years, when you were locked away.

The vanguard of any movement begins with those who push the limits outrageously. You did that. We understand. We may have disagreed with some of your tactics, but we know where you're coming from ... a sense of medical ethics that says, "The patient is the boss. The patient has the right to die as he chooses."

The rest of the country? Consider this. Consider that you have been diagnosed with a terrible lung disease that will cause you to be shorter and shorter of breath, gradually getting worse day after day. You find yourself gasping for breath and know that soon you will suffocate to death ... as though someone put a pillow over your head.

Say you knew someone who had had the same disease, and you saw how he deteriorated. You watched him gasp for breath. You knew he was going to suffocate one day soon. And now it's you. You're going to suffocate to death. A long, lingering terrifying death.

What would you want to do? If you were not bound to a rigid and illogical set of religious rules, most likely you would say, "I want out before I get like that. I know what is my fate. Don't make me suffer. Please don't let me suffocate."

Right now, the politicians answer is, "Sorry, Charlie. Take a hike."

The dirty little secret is that, all over America, doctors and nurses are conspiring to help such people die. They take the risk of losing their careers and even facing jail time if caught. They don't get caught. They do help people die.

Everybody else looks the other way. Does this make sense to you?

I'm pleading your case, Dr. Jack.

We're glad you're back. I have the feeling we haven't heard the last from you.

I hope not.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,003 • Replies: 4
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 09:14 am
Kevorkian stands as a cultural icon
June 1, 2007
BY JULIE HINDS
FREE PRESS POP CULTURE WRITER

To measure the footprints of Jack Kevorkian on the cultural landscape, consider a scene from "Grey's Anatomy."

In the first episode of the ABC medical saga, a frustrated Meredith says of a difficult patient, "If I hadn't taken the Hippocratic oath, I would Kevorkian her with my bare hands."

Advertisement

Not many public figures have a name that doubles as a verb. But Kevorkian, who's set to be released from a Michigan prison today, has long filled a large and rather strange role as a cultural icon.

Over the years, the man who's famous for helping people die has inspired band names (the Detroit punk band the Suicide Machines, originally called Jack Kevorkian and the Suicide Machines) and song lyrics (Public Enemy's "Kevorkian").

A 1999 Kurt Vonnegut book, "God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian," has the legendary author talking to people like William Shakespeare and serving as a correspondent on the great beyond, with a little help from you-know-who.

But Kevorkian seems to pop up most frequently as a punchline in sitcoms, movies and late-night monologues. Dr. Death as a comedy staple? It's a reflection of his controversial past and the uneasiness stirred by the topics of death and assisted suicide.

"The real Jack Kevorkian unquestionably advanced the public discussion of euthanasia," says Stephen Rachman, associate professor of English and American studies at Michigan State University. But the icon of Kevorkian "became, right away, that figure of the mad scientist."

Ever since the heyday of his fame in the 1990s, Kevorkian has been referenced by comedians for laughs -- sometimes for silly chuckles, other times to make more complicated points.

In the irreverent 2001 Comedy Central sitcom "That's My Bush," a goofy President George W. Bush springs Kevorkian from prison so he can euthanize his elderly cat. The look-alike actor who plays Kevorkian wears an argyle sweater and a Dracula-like cape.

A 2006 episode of "The Simpsons" has Grandpa Abe consulting a Dr. Egoyan for a session with a diePod, a suicide machine that provides users with comforting music and images for their final journey. Abe, who chooses Glenn Miller tunes and footage of cops beating hippies, is saved when Chief Wiggum bursts in to announce the overturning of an assisted-suicide law.

And a glance at the online archives of David Letterman's Top 10 lists turns up a number of references to Kevorkian.

Coming in at No. 2 on the Top 10 Kevorkian pickup lines: "Your place, or my van where I help people die?" He also appears in the Top 10 least favorite Snapple flavors (No. 2: Kevorkian colada), the Top 10 new slogans for the tobacco industry (No. 8: Recommended by four out of five doctors named Kevorkian) and more.

Rachman, who recalls dressing up as Kevorkian for a Halloween party a decade ago, says there are several explanations for the comedy connection.

For one thing, Kevorkian's intense personality and wiry, bespectacled appearance make him easy to parody. Whether in horror or humor, the mad scientist character is usually tightly wound and geeky.

There's also the fact that comedians find material in the unexpected, like the inherent twist in a physician who helps people die instead of live.

Above all, gallows humor is one way to cope with the enormity of death.

Comedy about Kevorkian often cuts both ways. The jokes can either be a way to distance the audience from an uncomfortable topic or a way to sneak up on it through humor.

In a sad irony, comic Richard Jeni, whose death in March was confirmed as a suicide by his family, had a funny bit on Kevorkian that imagined him as a roommate.

"Rick, you awake?" it went. "Yes, I am, Jack. I'm wide awake and I will be all night. I have never felt healthier than I do right now. Just close the door there, Jack."

These days, references to Kevorkian aren't as fresh or as frequent as they used to be. But now that he's back in the news, this could change.

"I haven't heard any Kevorkian jokes lately, but I'm sure there'll be a spate of them now," says Rachman.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 09:18 am
Jack Kevorkian pursued a noble cause, but he was the wrong man to promote it. His personality probably did more damage than good for the cause to promote death with dignity. ---BBB

June 1, 2007
BY JULIE HINDS
FREE PRESS POP CULTURE WRITER

To measure the footprints of Jack Kevorkian on the cultural landscape, consider a scene from "Grey's Anatomy."

In the first episode of the ABC medical saga, a frustrated Meredith says of a difficult patient, "If I hadn't taken the Hippocratic oath, I would Kevorkian her with my bare hands."

Not many public figures have a name that doubles as a verb. But Kevorkian, who's set to be released from a Michigan prison today, has long filled a large and rather strange role as a cultural icon.

Over the years, the man who's famous for helping people die has inspired band names (the Detroit punk band the Suicide Machines, originally called Jack Kevorkian and the Suicide Machines) and song lyrics (Public Enemy's "Kevorkian").

A 1999 Kurt Vonnegut book, "God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian," has the legendary author talking to people like William Shakespeare and serving as a correspondent on the great beyond, with a little help from you-know-who.

But Kevorkian seems to pop up most frequently as a punchline in sitcoms, movies and late-night monologues. Dr. Death as a comedy staple? It's a reflection of his controversial past and the uneasiness stirred by the topics of death and assisted suicide.

"The real Jack Kevorkian unquestionably advanced the public discussion of euthanasia," says Stephen Rachman, associate professor of English and American studies at Michigan State University. But the icon of Kevorkian "became, right away, that figure of the mad scientist."

Ever since the heyday of his fame in the 1990s, Kevorkian has been referenced by comedians for laughs -- sometimes for silly chuckles, other times to make more complicated points.

In the irreverent 2001 Comedy Central sitcom "That's My Bush," a goofy President George W. Bush springs Kevorkian from prison so he can euthanize his elderly cat. The look-alike actor who plays Kevorkian wears an argyle sweater and a Dracula-like cape.

A 2006 episode of "The Simpsons" has Grandpa Abe consulting a Dr. Egoyan for a session with a diePod, a suicide machine that provides users with comforting music and images for their final journey. Abe, who chooses Glenn Miller tunes and footage of cops beating hippies, is saved when Chief Wiggum bursts in to announce the overturning of an assisted-suicide law.

And a glance at the online archives of David Letterman's Top 10 lists turns up a number of references to Kevorkian.

Coming in at No. 2 on the Top 10 Kevorkian pickup lines: "Your place, or my van where I help people die?" He also appears in the Top 10 least favorite Snapple flavors (No. 2: Kevorkian colada), the Top 10 new slogans for the tobacco industry (No. 8: Recommended by four out of five doctors named Kevorkian) and more.

Rachman, who recalls dressing up as Kevorkian for a Halloween party a decade ago, says there are several explanations for the comedy connection.

For one thing, Kevorkian's intense personality and wiry, bespectacled appearance make him easy to parody. Whether in horror or humor, the mad scientist character is usually tightly wound and geeky.

There's also the fact that comedians find material in the unexpected, like the inherent twist in a physician who helps people die instead of live.

Above all, gallows humor is one way to cope with the enormity of death.

Comedy about Kevorkian often cuts both ways. The jokes can either be a way to distance the audience from an uncomfortable topic or a way to sneak up on it through humor.

In a sad irony, comic Richard Jeni, whose death in March was confirmed as a suicide by his family, had a funny bit on Kevorkian that imagined him as a roommate.

"Rick, you awake?" it went. "Yes, I am, Jack. I'm wide awake and I will be all night. I have never felt healthier than I do right now. Just close the door there, Jack."

These days, references to Kevorkian aren't as fresh or as frequent as they used to be. But now that he's back in the news, this could change.

"I haven't heard any Kevorkian jokes lately, but I'm sure there'll be a spate of them now," says Rachman.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 09:37 am
I think anybody who did what Jack did would be portrayed this negatively. To me, he is as good a spokesman as there is out there.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 11:37 pm
I just hope someone like Jack is around if and when I need him. Actually, my DEA number would probably make his availability moot. In that respect, I'm more fortunate than most people.
0 Replies