bargain corner of a mortuary showroom

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 09:42 am
"It looked like something from the bargain corner of a mortuary showroom"

"It" is an apparatus of plastic or rubber to which you wire up in order to get high in this SF novel.

Are any objects sold in mortuaries?

Sorry for your mood.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 751 • Replies: 11
No top replies

George

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 09:44 am
caskets
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 11:00 am
Not only are caskets sole in mortuaries, but cremation urns, in various sizes and styles. When my mom died, I went to a rather basic funeral home to make arrangements. I was amazed at the different kinds and qualities of "stuff" that they had for sale.
0 Replies

malek

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 11:12 am
I would say it implies that the apparatus in question looks cheap, nasty and a bit frightening.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 11:31 am
Mortuaries make some of their greatest profits from the sale of expensive coffins. To encourage mourners, who aren't thinking straight anyway, the salesperson will show them the bargain coffins. These are shoddy, and they look it. "Do you want to bury your Mother, who nourished you, in this inexpensive box, or wouldn't you rather honor her by choosing this hand-rubbed mahogany vault with plush silk lining and gold handles?"
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 11:49 am
Asherman- I really lucked out. I had my mom cremated. The funeral director said that for free, they will give you a basic plastic box for the ashes. He did not push me to buy any of the urns, but I just looked at them. I checked on the internet, and found that the urn that I liked was just a bit cheaper than what the funeral home was selling.

The funeral director had been so nice, and had given me no pressure at all, so I figured that I would spend a few more bucks, and give him the business.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 12:07 pm
Perhaps the author has confused "show room" and "embalming room"?

Or possibly the show room for a place that sells embalming equipment to mortuaries?
0 Replies

literarypoland

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 12:22 pm
Once I was looking for some detail and found a display of caskets sold (in the US) like designer clothes in various shapes and sizes. Quite shocking and almost Mexican in the approach to death.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 12:28 pm
Here's a place where you can get caskets at a "bargain" price. It seems like such a shame to shell out so much money or something that is going into the ground.

http://www.funeraldepot.com/?source=GoogleCavutoAd
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 12:33 pm
I'm buying mine ahead of time -- avoids that last-minute rush.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 12:42 pm
I thought about buying a casket from Costco (Yep! They sell them too!) but then I ran into a case of these at the grocery store:

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE-957282reg.jpg

If it works for pickles, why can't it work for me???
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 12:44 pm
my intended casket-rio grande canyon;
http://www.bio.sdsu.edu/pub/spiders/Sclero2006/Sclero2006-Images/18.jpg

"My river," he says.

"Our river."

"Our river."

"Let's take that river trip."

"Soon, soon." He held up a finger. "Listen..."

They listened. The river was mumbling something down below, something like a message: Come flow with me, Doctor, through the deserts of New Mexico, down through the canyons of Big Bend and on to the sea the Gulf the Caribbean, down where those young sireens weave their seaweed garlands for your hairless head, 0 Doc. Are you there? Doc?
0 Replies