"Might as well ask Heaven what it sees." ??

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 09:01 am
I: What did you see?

V: No words can describe it. Might as well ask Heaven what it sees.

What does "Might as well ask Heaven what it sees." mean?

Thanks in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 714 • Replies: 11
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 11:27 am
It means "There is no point in asking that question, since no answer is possible or likely to be forthcoming"
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 12:11 pm
Since "heaven" (god/s) see everything, whatever description is being demanded would be too all-embracing to be practical.

A modern equilivant would be, "You might as well try to download the complete Internet."
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 03:27 pm
depends on whether I have my beer-goggles on or not!
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 09:51 pm
-----------the sentence: "Might as well ask Heaven what it sees."

Does it refer to Heaven/God?

And do we OFTEN use it, rather than he to refer to God??!

Thank you first!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 10:10 pm
God is not real.

Any god is a figment of that persons imagination.

Heaven is the same, there is no such place (in the physical sense) as heaven. it too is a concept from the minds of people.

If a question has no answer or the answer is too far fetched to be believable we say "might as well ask heaven"
In the context of This question ie seeing, we ask our imaginations to conjure a vision of what is being seen.
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 12:57 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Since "heaven" (god/s) see everything, whatever description is being demanded would be too all-embracing to be practical.

A modern equilivant would be, "You might as well try to download the complete Internet."

Interesting! Thank you Noddy!
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 01:00 am
dadpad wrote:
God is not real.

Any god is a figment of that persons imagination.

Heaven is the same, there is no such place (in the physical sense) as heaven. it too is a concept from the minds of people.

If a question has no answer or the answer is too far fetched to be believable we say "might as well ask heaven"
In the context of This question ie seeing, we ask our imaginations to conjure a vision of what is being seen.

Thank yo Dadpad!!

Could it sound offensive and disrespective to some ears if we use it to refere to God?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 01:08 am
Quote:
V: No words can describe it. Might as well ask Heaven what it sees

I took this to mean that it (whatever it is, in this case) is indescribably wonderful- as if the viewer is in the midst of heaven and seeing whatever would be seen from that vantage point.
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 02:14 am
aidan wrote:
Quote:
V: No words can describe it. Might as well ask Heaven what it sees

I took this to mean that it (whatever it is, in this case) is indescribably wonderful- as if the viewer is in the midst of heaven and seeing whatever would be seen from that vantage point.

So you don't think Heaven equals to God in the sentence.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 02:21 am
No, I, personally don't. I don't get the sense of any kind of embodied being-in fact I think that's the point and what makes it more appealingly poetic-the attribution of a sensual action (sight) to a concept to which that isn't usually attributed (heaven).

But everyone reads things differently, and sees things through their own prism of experience to interpret - and this is especially true for short excerpts taken out of context, I think.
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 02:42 am
I like your reading, Aidan Thanks!
0 Replies