What would you like to hear a Democrat candidate say?

Sofia

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 10:39 pm
...besides the Oath of Office? Laughing

The Democratic Candidate threads have been going strong for a while, and will probably get more intense as the race heats up.

We all have our small squabbles about which candidate may win, but beyond winning--

What are you wanting to hear? What declarations, policy changes (or enhancements),....what principles do you feel embodies the Democrat party, but may have been left on the wayside, or muffled by other concerns? What are a couple of sentences that, if you heard a candidate utter them--would propel you into their campaign?

(This is a learning thread for me. A chance to get to know members' policy preferences, and visions of the Democrat party. If you are a Green, Indy, other, feel free to respond. Just make note of your party--unless party affiliation isn't important to you.)

I also state that nothing shared here will be brought up on the main forum, or shared with a non-member. I've always thought this was an unspoken rule for Private Forums, but thought I'd speak it, since it may be in question.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,643 • Replies: 41
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 12:09 am
Actually, I want to hear HOW a candidate will realise what she/he declares. I've no implicit belief in any election messages, unless someone gives me at least a couple of traceable clues how to manage them!

[Since I'm a Social Democrat and living in Germany, this only as aside:
taxation reform, pension reform, reform of health security, creation of new jobs, higher investment in education and research, the consolidation of government finances, the phasing-out of nuclear energy, new citizenship legislation and the immigration law should be the themes, I would jump on in domestic politics.

In foreign policy, values of human dignity, constitutional democracy and tolerance are a must. My candidate should work for a strong Europe within the Nato and UN.

I'll have no great problems with all this, since all is part of my party's program already.]

This is a quite funny website, at least for non US-voters:
2004 AMERICAN PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE SELECTOR
(Bush got 0% on my try)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 06:23 am
Walter- very interesting albeit shallow but my top 3 came out 1. Kucinch 2. Dean 3. Kerry...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 06:31 am
The candidate I am looking for probably no longer exists. He would be at times audacious, but would be firmly rooted in the traditions of the Democratic party. That is not to say he would be too Hyde bound to resist learning and adapting to the current world, but he would hold to the principles that saw social progress for the common man. He would be attuned to the question of race. He would pursue a foreign policy similar to that of President Clinton, adapted to the present landscape and a little less inclined to allow Republican criticism to deter a chosen course of action. I don't have time to say more just now. Will visit this thread later on. eb
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 05:35 pm
I would like a candidate who would be in favor of breaking apart, or halting potential, monopolies. I would want him/her to push to re-examine deregulation. I would have him/her seek ways to make multinational corporations accountable. I would have the candidate do more than lip service to alternative power. Campaign finance reform.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 02:06 pm
This is funny.
They say on Walter's Smart Select that I should vote for Kucinich.

The thing was really skewed. They had too many blanket categories, IMO. Would you agree or disagree with the NAACP, ACLU, Conservationst Party, Planned Parenthood... I said No Preference on these. Who agrees OR disagrees with ALL of any of these groups?

I agree with the right to bear arms, but not every pearl that falls out of the mouth of the NRA...

Edgar-- I am so with you on Campaign Finance Reform. Hopefully, no matter who wins--this can be addressed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 04:53 pm
Campaign reform - The ones raking in the most dough are always the ones with the most say-so. I don't look for any meaningful reform until the voters get adamant about it. Which also seems a long shot.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 05:38 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
This is a quite funny website, at least for non US-voters:
2004 AMERICAN PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE SELECTOR
(Bush got 0% on my try)

Heh. I got Kucinich on top (98%, no less), then Dean (89%) and Kerry (85%).

I unclicked the option to exclude candidates who have as yet not declared, so I got Hillary Clinton in there too, trailing at 77%, marginally ahead of Sharpton, Gephardt, Edwards, Lieberman, all @ practically the same percentage. Graham, Clark and Al Gore (46%) much lower. George Bush at 14% ..

These tests are all the rage in Holland, there's like five to ten of them ranging from a three-question test to a thorough comparison of party programmes. At the last elections, more than two million people used the most popular one among them, the Stemwijzer - that's one in five voters!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 06:13 pm
That's a cool site nimmer.

My tally was Kucinich, Dean, Kerry also.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 06:23 pm
Ditto, non ditto heads.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 01:42 pm
I'd like to hear the president say: "I am not George Bush."
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 01:47 am
"the day i am sworn in as president i will direct the justice dept to arrest george w bush, his cabinet, and advisors for high treason...and will hold these people in custody as traitors and terrorists against america. i will seek the death penalty in all cases against these men and women who have attemped to destroy this nation by their greedy actions."

the man or woman who says that has my vote, my support and my guns to back them up.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 02:28 am
(gallery gasps, then applauds)
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 11:58 am
My democratic candidate does not exist (yet?) SHe would have enough fortitude to buck the current fear of appearing unpatriotic by criticizing the current administration and president, but SHe would primarily be a statesman who would have the vision to look ahead past the next four years and past our country's boundaries and speak of what we believe and need, and what should be our role in the world, rather than carping on what the current administration has done wrong.

The candidate would believe that freedom cannot be found in restricting our freedoms; that we must strike a balance between free trade and protectionism that is rationally and carefully wrought; that we must look carefully at the poorest and weakest among us and be sure that we have not sold our souls to corporate America; that we approach difficult issues such as abortion and gay rights with searching thought that does not throw out all traditional wisdom but allows it to expand every day and year to become more inclusive.

The candidate would have to be strong on national security in order even to get people's attention, but there must be balance here and less hysteria. We must insist that every one we have imprisoned, in the US or in other locations, has the right to a trial that is the right of every American, even if that person is not a citizen.

The candidate would not believe in waging agressive pre-emptive war, and that would be a strong plank in the campaign platform.

Environmental issues would be extremely important, as would the question of energy and alternative sources thereof.

A group should be formed to ponder and prepare a new set of principles to balance the PNAC principles that are the guiding beliefs of the current administration. This group could become a think-tank for the new administration.

No more time to write. I'm traveling and at a library computer and time is up!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 12:20 pm
anyone other than bush in 04
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 01:09 pm
Something interesting and orginal instead of the same old blah, blah, blah.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 05:15 pm
Hi. Joanne. Good to see your avatar on here again.
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 07:34 pm
Hi Guys!

My candidate has to be a real Democrat, not a Republican running on the Democratic Party Ticket. I think I like Dean, but I haven't really looked at it that hard yet!

Anon
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 06:30 am
Yes, sir, anon. I originally voted for Clinton because I wanted a Democrat. When he ran the second time I voted for Nader. The trouble with voting for just any old Democrat is, the complex that has been working a coup on our system will contol all but the staunchest politicians, regardless of party.
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 11:41 am
Yea Edgar, it's tough to get past the greed and the pork masters. The only reason(s) I liked Clinton is that he was VERY environment friendly, and the economy was really good while he was in office.

Anon
0 Replies