due to?

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 12:17 pm
Roberta is quite correct. Saying "The money is due to you" might be marginally acceptable in spoken colloquial English, but it is plain wrong in any sort of proper grammatical sense. To say that "the money is due to you" implies that the money somehow exists because of you, not that you have a right to it.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 12:24 pm
Language is functional, if it gets the point across it is working, all the rest is academic quibbling.
0 Replies

51Days

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 05:26 pm
**** MY FAULT ******
0 Replies

51Days

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 05:26 pm
**** DAMN, IT'S LATE, SORRY, I TRIED TO EDIT, NOT TO POST A NEW ENTRY ***** REMOVED TRIPLE ENTRY **** NEXT ONE IS RIGHT

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
0 Replies

51Days

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 05:27 pm
I believe you. Thanks.

@Roberta: I'm going to throw my dictionary out of my window. Sad

@Merry A: Your additional information on 'due to' is absolutely clear!!!

@Acquiunk: For someone not living in an English-speakting country but having learnt to translate texts somehow...professionally...it is sometimes hard to avoid academic 'quibbling'. :wink: Translating a text is temporarily very hard...if I don't ask, I won't learn....and I'm always eager to learn...just curious...but don't understand me wrong...I can understand your point of view. Now the expression 'due to' will be FUNCTIONALLY right be translated by myself...thanks to, er, due to the entries in this forum. Exclamation

BTW, I had to look up the word 'to quibble' in the PONS dictionary, do you want to know what it tells me??? Rhetoric question, isn't it Shocked :

to quibble; 1 When people quibble, they argue about a small matter which is not important. 2 A quibble is a minor objection to something.

So you will understand the academic quibbling, as the answers in this forum have saved me from using 'due to' in a possibly wrong context which might be of MAJOR IMPORTANCE to me while translating texts into my mother tongue.

I love this forum Very Happy

Stay healthy y'all - thanks again for your great efforts to help me becoming wiser...looking forward to the next academic 'quibbling'...
Best Regards
Rainer
aka
51Days

PS: BTW, it's nearly 1:30 am in Germany now. But gooood weather, I've gotta go to bed now....good night!
0 Replies

51Days

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 05:40 pm
51Days wrote:
**** CLICKING THE WRONG BUTTON. MY FAULT. SORRY! ******
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 08:00 pm
51 Days -- I think you are trying to edit something out of this thread and clicking on the wrong icons. Don't worry about it! Nothing to be nervous about. Your English is quite excellent and we all make mistakes. Smile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 10:31 pm
Hi 51, Don't be in such a hurry to get rid of your dictionary. It had "quibble" right. Your English is good enough so that you might want to consider getting a plain old English dictionary sans translations. If you work with British English, perhaps a condensed version of the OED (Oxford English dictionary). If you work with American English, perhaps a copy of Merriam Webster's Collegiate dictionary (the one I use) or a copy of the American Heritage dictionary (the one Merry Andrew uses).

I often make this suggestion to my ESL students when they become sufficiently advanced. At first they are reluctant, but they eventually see the benefit.
0 Replies