"You've Come a Long Way Baby", or, the Evolution of Women

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 06:41 pm
I grew up before the feminist movement. I can remember when:

If a woman was of childbearing age, her income would not be considered when the family was attempting to obtain a mortgage.

Women never were admitted to veterinary college. (The excuse- She couldn't move horses and cows. This was said to my friend, who wanted to work with pets)

Girls were not allowed to wear slacks in public schools.

On daytime quiz shows, the host would say to a female contestant, "Oh hello, Mrs. Jones. I see you are from Cleveland. And what does your husband do?

If a woman were raped, her sexual history was brought into question.

If a woman was abused by a husband or lover, the police would not deal with it. It was considered a private issue.

When employment ads read, "Help Wanted-Male, or Help Wanted-Female".
The female jobs were mainly clerical or bookkeeping.

Female college graduates routinely had to begin their careers as secretaries.

We have gotten way beyond those times. Women have made many gains in the last few decades. But I believe that there is a long way to go. The glass ceiling still exists. Women earn less than men statistically.

What issues of female equality do you think need to be addressed? Have any of you younger members been victims of discrimination because you are a woman?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,728 • Replies: 26
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 06:54 pm
This is not precisely on target, but, I recall too that a woman of those times was, among other things, a servant in many marriages: "Honey, make us some coffee." "Honey, clean up the table so we can play cards on it." Translation: "I don't do menial jobs here; I expect you to do it."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 06:54 pm
Re: "You've Come a Long Way Baby", or, the Evoluti
Hmmm.

First of all, this one:

Phoenix32890 wrote:
If a woman were raped, her sexual history was brought into question.

Sure hasn't gone away.

The main issue I see, but am not sure how to deal with, is motherhood and career. It sucks that women are repeatedly passed over for positions because they will just have babies and a) quit, b) need to take time off to chauffeur 'em to doctors appointments and stuff, and c) not work as much as male/ single/ childless peers. (A friend of mine, a physicist, was explicitly told that she wasn't hired as a professor because she was just gonna have babies in a couple of years. Shocked)

However, it also sucks that in counteracting that all of that, women work way too hard and try to do way too much and the kids are shortchanged.

I have a friend who is a stay-at-home dad, and that's an encouraging trend. I definitely see a lot of dads who are intimately involved in raising their kids.

Still, it's quite a conundrum.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 07:09 pm
edgarblythe- I agree. And I believe that many women internalized the idea of being servants themselves. I remember a friend of mine, who, after the rise of feminism, worked. One day she proudly told me that she had a "modern marriage". She then went on and on how her husband always "helped" her with the housework. What she didn't realize, was that although they both worked, by saying that her husband "helped", she was acknowledging that she believed that the housework was HER job.

Soz- I can really feel compassion for your friend. It sounds to me though, that she has grounds for a discrimination suit. (If she has proof, which is often impossible to get, in these sorts of scenarios)

I have read that a number of companies offer incentives such as job sharing, or variable workdays, so that mothers may work, and still be there for their children. Some big corporations even offer day care at their place of business.

Like my "modern marriage" story, many women put in as long days as their husband, and are still expected to run the house, and be the children's primary caregiver.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 07:22 pm
Yeah, I was all het up about it and told her to sue, but she thought it would do too much damage to her professional prospects, and she didn't WANT to work there with such idiots.

Hmph.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 05:11 am
soz- AARGH- Your friend is a perfect example about how discrimination happens, but the person discriminated against is between a rock and a hard place. What was said to her was definitely illegal, but I supposed the community of physicists is small enough that if she had sued, people in the field would perceive her as a troublemaker.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 07:07 am
Ah, yes, pigeonholes by gender.

When I was in Junior High (um, '73 - '76 or so), in 8th grade we were required to take Art for half a year. Fine. But, for the other half of the year, the girls were required to take Home Ec. and the boys were required to take Shop. That was the last year that that rule was in effect.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 07:13 am
Jes- In my Junior High, there was an apartment. The girls learned all sorts of neat stuff like cleaning toilets, making beds, etc. The boys took shop.

When my son went to school, things had improved somewhat, and he took an optional home ec. course for boys, called, "bachelor living"(or, how to survive until you bag a woman who will do these things for you). If you think about it, the implication was sexist.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 07:16 am
I guess India was ahead of times !!! When I was at school, I had to take a compulsary course in Home Science for two years - learing abt cooking, stitching (I still can do a mean cross stitch Wink and stain removal) Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 07:20 am
Gautam- The US could learn from India. I think that it is a wonderful idea that boys and girls learn how to be independent in the home sphere.

It is such a pity. I know that there are many widowed men in my retirement community who can't boil water. They are lost without their wives, and you see them in the fast food restaurants all the time.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 07:34 am
Re: "You've Come a Long Way Baby", or, the Evoluti
sozobe wrote:
The main issue I see, but am not sure how to deal with, is motherhood and career. It sucks that women are repeatedly passed over for positions because they will just have babies and a) quit, b) need to take time off to chauffeur 'em to doctors appointments and stuff, and c) not work as much as male/ single/ childless peers.

This is a really tough issue. Up front let me just say that is it just plain stupid for anyone to assume that just because a candidate for a position is a woman she is going to choose to have a child or even be the primary care provider for a child she may already have.

The other side of this is that there are women who expect the employer to make exceptional accomodations for them because of these things.

So where exactly does one draw the fine line around all of this? If I were interviewing people for a position and a woman told me that she intended to have a child relatively soon and then stay at home with that child would it color my decision making? Probably... Is that discrimination though? If the candidate was male and told me that they were planning on heading off to graduate school next year it would probably color my decisions too. As an employer, I'd want to hire the best candidate that plans on sticking around - not someone looking for a temporary job until they go off to do whatever lies in their life's ambitions.

The whole issue of pregnancy/child rearing is fraught to hard choices by the woman and the employer. Much of it is complicated because women themselves don't agree on how the entire issue should be handled.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 07:42 am
Quote:
The other side of this is that there are women who expect the employer to make exceptional accomodations for them because of these things.

I think that if a woman is going for a job, there should be NO expectation of exceptional treatment. It is up to the woman to deal with her situation. If she brings up the subject, and the employer will go along with her requests, fine. If not, she needs to find a place of employment that is more "mommy friendly". I think that special arrangements for mothers are thoughtful, and probably in the best interests of a company, but women, IMO, have no right to demand them.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 07:48 am
Quote:
Girls were not allowed to wear slacks in public schools.

Before 1970, at my elementary school, girls could only wear pants (under our dresses) if the temperature in the morning was below 40 degrees (which doesn't happen that often in south Louisiana). I remember some very chilly mornings at the bus stop.

I recall this one too: In the late 60s, the only reason coeds at Louisiana State Univ. could wear pants outside of the dorm was if they were going bowling. When they signed out of the dorms in the evening, bowling was a very popular activity listed! (For that matter, let's consider that these young women had to sign in and out and write down where they were going!)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 07:53 am
mac11- Were the boys required to sign out too?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 07:57 am
I don't know, Phoenix. But I'd be surprised if that were the case.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 07:59 am
When I went to Uni - the girls were not allowed out of their hostels after 0000 hrs. There was no such restriction for boyz !! And yeah, even boyz were not allowed inside the girls hostel after 0000 hrs and neither were the girls in the boyz hostels.

Didn't stop us though ! Smile
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 08:08 am
fishin - I think part of the problem is the lack of leave time for fathers. It is assumed, again, that the woman is the primary care giver because she is a mother. There is really no consideration for fathers. I think this lends itself to less parental responsibility by fathers and puts pressure on women to get as much time off as possible because, if there is a male parent in the house, he's not going to get time off to care for the child anyway. There should be a minimum amount given to everyone, and if they want more time that burden (and those decisions) fall on the individual.

I think men and women should get equal time off for child leave. For me personally, I don't want to stay home and raise kids, but the implication is that I do because I'm a woman. The boy would probably be happier doing it, but the implication is he wouldn't want to because he's a man.

And so it goes.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 08:12 am
Yeah.

Actually, FMLA (the Family and Medical Leave Act) is pretty much "a minimum amount given to everyone."

Quote:
The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provides certain employees with up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave per year. It also requires that group health benefits be maintained during the leave.

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/fmla/s1.asp

There are restrictions, like how long you've worked there and the size of your employer, but it's a cool thing.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 08:27 am
Agreed Sugar! I got a lot of flack after my divorce. Since I was divorced it was just expected that I was available to work longer hours or "off" shifts. When I'd mention that I had a kid to be concerned with I'd get the "but you only have the kid on weekends right??" routine.

Ummm.. no...

The father having custody of the kid still isn't "normal" and most people just assume that the father is only a father every other weekend (if even then).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 08:29 am
Yeah. I was thinking of you, among others, when I mentioned knowing a lot of dads who are intimately involved in their kids' lives.
0 Replies