Miss Universe

ebrown p

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 01:05 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
rabel22 wrote:
Illegal immigration, nothing but racism much.

How?

They are ILLEGALLY trying to live here and suck our resources...resources that legal citizens pay for and deserve.

Anyone who wants to live her legally is more than welcome.

Wanna fight Bella?

((Your first post was appropriate, but then you had to post the same silly anti-"illegal" immigrant tripe with capital letters and all.))

Well, it's true. What isn't true about what I stated?

I shouldn't respond here, but you asked for it... and this legal citizen hates be characterized this way.

1) You are using bad grammar (a dangling modifier), but it seems like you are mean to say that the intent of "illegal" immigrants is to suck our resources.

The intent of these immigrants is to work. And the intent of the American small farms, small business, restaurants, landscaping companies and corporations who hire them is to have workers.

2) You are very biased in your use of the term "suck our resources". Most non-biased economists say that "illegal" immigrants provide at least as many resources as they take. After all, the labor they give to farms and small businesses doing landscaping, harvesting vegetables and building houses is a resource.

3) Your all capital use of the word ILLEGALLY is exagerrated and sensationalistic. It doesn't help in any rational discussion on the topic.

This topic is not so simplistic that using one adjective to refer to what are, after all, human beings, determines anything. Even yelling the adjective (or using all capital letters) doesn't make it any more easy to brush human beings under the rug.

After all, Americans have often supported people who commit illegal acts; from drinking during prohibition- to interraccial marriage, to physician assisted suicide to, to homosexuality to the current war on drugs.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 01:05 pm
why trump? he only bought into the business that's been alive and well for decades now.

plus, squid doesn't watch TV or participates much in human society. specieism is the last thing that bothers me about miss universe. there's plenty ugly things about it that disturb me more.
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 01:14 pm
your pardon, dag. It's my feeling everybody should feel free to ridicule the concept in whatever way seems best to them.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 01:18 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
rabel22 wrote:
Illegal immigration, nothing but racism much.

How?

They are ILLEGALLY trying to live here and suck our resources...resources that legal citizens pay for and deserve.

Anyone who wants to live her legally is more than welcome.

Wanna fight Bella?

((Your first post was appropriate, but then you had to post the same silly anti-"illegal" immigrant tripe with capital letters and all.))

Well, it's true. What isn't true about what I stated?

I shouldn't respond here, but you asked for it... and this legal citizen hates be characterized this way.

1) You are using bad grammar (a dangling modifier), but it seems like you are mean to say that the intent of "illegal" immigrants is to suck our resources.

The intent of these immigrants is to work. And the intent of the American small farms, small business, restaurants, landscaping companies and corporations who hire them is to have workers.

2) You are very biased in your use of the term "suck our resources". Most non-biased economists say that "illegal" immigrants provide at least as many resources as they take. After all, the labor they give to farms and small businesses doing landscaping, harvesting vegetables and building houses is a resource.

3) Your all capital use of the word ILLEGALLY is exagerrated and sensationalistic. It doesn't help in any rational discussion on the topic.

This topic is not so simplistic that using one adjective to refer to what are, after all, human beings, determines anything. Even yelling the adjective (or using all capital letters) doesn't make it any more easy to brush human beings under the rug.

After all, Americans have often supported people who commit illegal acts; from drinking during prohibition- to interraccial marriage, to physician assisted suicide to, to homosexuality to the current war on drugs.

I can't agree with you.

Be it sensationalistic or stupid or whatever you want to call it.

I just can't agree with you.

And this has nothing to do with them being subhuman or whatever your reference to sweeping people under the rug meant.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 05:31 pm
HokieBird wrote:

I'm not sure how so many people are so sure they know the minds of the rude miscreants who booed Miss USA.

Imagine the reaction of these same people if an American audience in Spokane booed Miss Mexico, not because she was brown, or any other personal reason, but because the Mexican government is more than happy to encourage illegal immigration to the US for economic reasons.

Imagine if they booed her just because she was Mexican (white brown or purple).

No matter what someone may allege their rationale to be there is absolutely no excuse for such mean-spirited and boorish behavior.

The grace displayed by the young woman in such an incredibly hostile environment made her a wonderful representative of our country --- worthy of derision?

Base shame upon the American judges with mikes who kept quiet during the sickening display.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 06:01 pm
Sorry
What I meant to say was illegal immigration wasn't the topic but racism. As I stated before I am often accused of being racist because I am against Illegal immigration. But the mexicans can attack a U.S. girl in racist fashion with impunity. As has been done in this posting people make up excuses for the racists that agree with their beliefs. And as far as the beauty pageant I think it takes advantage of the girls in the pageant for the benefit of people like Trump who isn't someone I can respect. He like many so called businessmen are users of other people who he promptly discards when he is through using them. The mexicans were quoted in the article that was posted here that they want the illegal immigrants made legal so they can visit them in this country. I wasn't aware that foreign people cant visit relatives in this country. I would repost the article but don't know how. I wonder what Mexicos reaction would be if 36,000,000 U.S.citizens crossed the border demanding jobs and medical care from the mexican government? I bet it wouldn't be sending them home to immigrate legally but would start shooting people until they got out.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 06:19 pm
Quote:
Base shame upon the American judges with mikes who kept quiet during the sickening display.

What, pray tell, would you have had them say?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 06:27 pm
Quote:

But the mexicans can attack a U.S. girl in racist fashion with impunity.

I suspect you don't understand what the word "racism" really means.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 06:30 pm
I mostly agree with Finn... except I think the Miss Universe pageant (and these pageants in general) are silly wastes of time (at best). I respect the poise, but it is not like any of these women are doing anything of value.

But I guess that is another issue. The people in the crowd who booed were idiots.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 06:35 pm
nodding and grinning at username...

(brilliant little spiel and some welcome levity Smile )
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 09:14 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
i find it odd. when they stand there in swimsuits . . . i just don't understand what lures people to watching miss universe and similar pageants.

It's precisely the fact that they stand there in swimsuits that lures people to watch.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 05:51 am
InfraBlue wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:
i find it odd. when they stand there in swimsuits . . . i just don't understand what lures people to watching miss universe and similar pageants.

It's precisely the fact that they stand there in swimsuits that lures people to watch.

Nah... I would be just as happy to watch them if they weren't wearing swimsuits Wink
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 06:05 am
Dag,
You can't figure out why people want to see a bunch of young, attractive and fit women standing and posing in bathing suits?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 06:07 am
snood wrote:
Dag,
You can't figure out why people want to see a bunch of young, attractive and fit women standing and posing in bathing suits?

In all honesty, I just watch to hear their answers to the interview questions.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 06:07 am
ok right of the bat this post isnt very thought out.

so when did they boo miss caucasian again?

i didnt know america was composed of all whites :O
hatred of america in no way reflects racism at all. even if she was white.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 06:32 am
ebrown_p wrote:
snood wrote:
Dag,

In all honesty, I just watch to hear their answers to the interview questions.

Laughing
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 06:35 am
A few points about illegal immigrants that I heard on the John Gibson show yesterday that I am coming to agree with.

1) I'm coming to realize that we need them in this country. We have 4.5% unemployment, and as many righty's here will point out most of these people DON'T want to work. So if our unemployment is SO low WITH the illegal immigrants is there really a problem. If they left would we have 0% unemployement?

2) Fining someone for breaking the law is acceptable punishment. $5000 is a hefty fine. This is a misdemeaner after all, most misdemeaners are punished with fines.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 05:27 pm
snood wrote:
Quote:

What, pray tell, would you have had them say?

I would have had them say what I would have said.

"Your rude behavior shames your city and your country. It should shame you."

And to Miss USA

"Pay no attention to these clowns,they wouldn't know grace if it hit them in their thick heads. "

Does anyone know if pundits or politicians in Mexico scolded these folks? We can be certain they would have in the US if the roles were reversed, and good for us on that basis.

Unfortunately a fair number of the people who would recognize Americans booing Miss Mexico as reprehensible find it very easy to rationalize boorish behavior in this instance.

Whether or not one thinks of her as a vapid airhead (clearly she is not), Miss USA is a person, a young woman with dreams that mean something to her, and as a base point she shared the same anxieties as all of the other contestants. Unfortunately for her she also had the scorn of a mob of miscreants heaped on her as well simply because she represented the US.

Is this sort of attitude toward our country supposed to influence us to rethink our immigration laws? Let's be clear --- neither Mexicans nor Germans nor Kenyans nor Chinese have a "right" to live and prosper in the US. If we completely closed our borders we would be totally within our "rights."

I don't expect foreigners to grovel at our borders and beg for entry, but I certainly have no tolerance for their scorn or the scorn, on their behalf, of those they leave behind.

The notion that racism is involved in immigration is idiotic, and used by the Left because the R-word is their version of the N-word.

People in the North of the US have prejudicial notions about those who live in the South. Most northeast Liberals have a definate prejudice about Texans. Is this racism? It may be ignorant and mean-spirited, but it's not racism. Neither is the worst examples of anti-immigrant sentiment, nor the boorish behavior of the clods in Mexico City.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 07:10 am
http://cagle.msnbc.com/working/070530/corky.gif
0 Replies