neo-darktown-strutters style

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 10:09 am
In a comical musical.

Pretending to be brave in a black part of the city (the year is 1978)?
What is "neo" here?
In this novel, blacks are so powerful in the US that some white people decide to dye their skin black.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 630 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 10:17 am
Neo usually refers to something being new. but with a connotation of having been used before.

NEO nazi

Again you do not give enough context to be sure of the usage. in fact this time you do not even give the sentence your question relates to.
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 10:34 am
As mentioned in another recent topic of yours, literary. GIVE US CONTEXT, NOT JUST A PHRASE. GIVE US AT LEAST A COMPLETE SENTENCE, BETTER YET SEVERAL SENTENCES OR YOU LEAVE US ALMOST HELPLESS. This one is a particularly clear example where we need more info.

"Darktown strutter style" is some sort of reference to "Darktown Strutters Ball" an early jazz standard covered by many great musicians, including Fats Waller, Ella Fitzgerald and one of the Dorseys. Google "words to "Darktown Strutters Ball"" to get the lyrics. It's about exuberant dancing and having a high good time.A lot of American culture has come from African Americans. This song is originally probably an expression of joy in that culture. However it's also been used to caricature it and put it down, as part of the racism that has also been endemic to American life. So there are a lot of layers of possible meaning and shades here. It's just impossible to tell exactly what the author meant it to mean UNLESS YOU PROVIDE US MORE CONTEXT WHENEVER YOU POST.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 10:39 am
I was thinking he meant this from "Dark Town After Dark"

Loose Shoes....

5 minutes long, but well worth it.
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 11:07 am
Take a look at the video Chai links to, literary. I don't think that's whatever your source is, but it shows the complexity of the subject. Looks to me like a 70s black (Richard Pryor?) satire on the 1930s-era white-made Hollywood musical films which often had one token black act in them but often had elements of caricature in the way they were presented. The dance the singer is doing is a hyper-exaggerated version of the Strut, which was I'm pretty sure, a popular black dance from the early part of the 20th century (there were a number of popular dance crazes from the time with for example exaggerated sort-of-animal movements, the Turkey Trot, the Eagle Rock, the Buffalo Something--Buffalo Stomp I think).

Your source, whatever it is, probably similarly had at least three layers of cultural referents in it. SOGIVE US CONTEXT SO WE CAN DECODE IT. IF THAT'S POSSIBLE.
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 11:08 am
And you're right, Chai. It's a hoot.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 02:33 pm
I wish I could post the lyrics on here, but I'd get tossed out.
0 Replies

literarypoland

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 08:54 am
This part of the novel takes place around 2010. So I believe one of the characters refers to the movie "Darktown Strutters" from around 1975, which is indeed a parody.
0 Replies