In All Earnesty...

Quincy

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 05:21 pm
Is it possible to beat a person to death with your bare hands, particularly, can you fist someone to death, or is hollywood exaggerating? And not by bashing the persons head against a rock or something. Is it possible to punch someone to death?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 896 • Replies: 13
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 05:24 pm
Sure it is!
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 05:37 pm
Is there scientific evidence/proof/whatever to back this up?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 05:51 pm
List of boxing fatalities <-- that do it for ya?
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 05:59 pm
^thanks

Quote:
In 1996, some Japanese neurosurgeons reported that serious brain injury (specifically, acute subdural hematoma) was the proximate cause of most Japanese ring fatalities. The Velazquez collection supports their assertion. However, heart conditions have also caused deaths, as have heat injuries and Second Impact Syndrome.

Sometimes the reason for the death bordered on criminal -- some of those promoters really were gangsters, and some of the deceased had not won a contest in years. Others fought despite known pre-existing conditions to include impacted teeth, detached retinas, severe headaches, heart problems, and/or recent concussions.

In addition, some commissions got lazy, and turned a blind eye toward safety. Thus, many of the deceased fought with faked medical histories, birth certificates, and ring records. Even during the past twenty years, there have been fights without trained medical personnel or ambulances nearby, or with improperly strung ropes, unpadded turnbuckles, and similar hazards.

Finally, boxing gyms are rarely models of sanitation. Before the development of "miracle drugs" such as sulfa and penicillin during the 1930s and 1940s, skin and eye infections posed serious health risks. More recently, anabolic steroids, amphetamines, and blood-borne pathogens such as hepatitis C and HIV have created new health risks. And, to this day, training partners sometimes share blood-spattered mouthpieces, gloves, and protective cups.

Nonetheless, given current medical technology, unexplained deaths will happen even in well-run programs. For more about this, see Francis G. O'Connor, John P. Kugler, and Ralph G. Oriscello, "Sudden Death in Young Athletes: Screening for the Needle in a Haystack", American Family Physician (June 1998).

With this background in mind, let's examine the risks of boxing.

CAn someone put this in simple English please? And can healthy young(ish) people die in a short period (minutes) after getting a pummeling?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:06 pm
Quincy wrote:
And can healthy young(ish) people die in a short period (minutes) after getting a pummeling?

Given the opportuinity, I could punch you in the throat and crush your larynx which would effectively cut off your ability to breath so you'd die in a matter of minutes.

It is much easier tyo kill a person than most people might think. We are not indestructible. :wink:
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:08 pm
Maybe I'm just jaded, in these times of guns, knives and broken bottles...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:10 pm
fishin wrote:
Quincy wrote:
And can healthy young(ish) people die in a short period (minutes) after getting a pummeling?

Given the opportuinity, I could punch you in the throat and crush your larynx which would effectively cut off your ability to breath so you'd die in a matter of minutes.

It is much easier tyo kill a person than most people might think. We are not indestructible. :wink:

Yeah, I learned all kind of neat stuff in Karate class.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:11 pm
There are many ways to kill with your bare hands grasshopper.

Seriously though, I watched that boxing match where one of the fighters dropped dead right there.

It was horrible, just keeled over, dead before he hit the matt.

fishin', how about if you slam the heel of your hand upwards into someones nose and the cartilege and bone ram up into the brain?

That's a good one too.

quincy, are you asking for any particular reason? Are you having cramps and in a bad temper?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:13 pm
The nose in the brain is my favorite Laughing
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:16 pm
Chai wrote:
There are many ways to kill with your bare hands grasshopper.
quincy, are you asking for any particular reason? Are you having cramps and in a bad temper?

Evil or Very Mad . No......

.....now you've ruined it.

I have nothing to say further....
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:17 pm
Actually I was just curious, I've seen a few films where people are beaten to death and I wondered if there was any merit to it. No, I prefer non-violent movies...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:18 pm
Montana wrote:
The nose in the brain is my favorite Laughing

yeah, mine too.

wow, we have a lot in common.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:26 pm
Awesome, man :-D
0 Replies