Is There Doctor on the Plane?

Miller

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 03:29 am
Is there a doctor on the plane?
Giving thanks. MD wants new tickets after pleasure trip turned to business

SUSAN SCHWARTZ
The Gazette

Monday, May 28, 2007

Montreal family doctor Henry Coopersmith cared for two ailing passengers on a flight to Paris. He asked Air Canada for business-class tickets to Europe, to replace the ones he wasn't able to properly enjoy, but his request hasn't been fulfilled.
CREDIT: MARIE-FRANCE COALLIER, THE GAZETTE
Montreal family doctor Henry Coopersmith cared for two ailing passengers on a flight to Paris. He asked Air Canada for business-class tickets to Europe, to replace the ones he wasn't able to properly enjoy, but his request hasn't been fulfilled.

His seat was back and Henry Coopersmith, a Montreal family physician en route to Paris with his wife, Ellen, had just fallen asleep. He'd used 160,000 Aeroplan miles, and paid more than $600 in taxes and fees, to buy two Air Canada business-class tickets and he was looking forward to a relaxing flight, the start of a five-day autumn vacation in the City of Light, and a break from his busy medical practice, when he was roused by a voice on the public-address system: It was the captain, asking if there was a doctor on board.

In stepping forward to help, Coopersmith was doing as he had done several times before - as most doctors would do. There is a consensus in the global physician community that doctors have an ethical and moral obligation to provide care in a time of crisis, as observed by Dr. Jeff Blackmer, executive director of the ethics office at the Canadian Medical Association.

In Quebec, where the code of ethics governing doctors is enshrined in law, the obligation to intervene is legal.

Coopersmith, 55, spent a portion of the nighttime flight treating two anxious passengers: One looked to be on the verge of fainting and turned out to have mixed wine and sleeping medication; the other, who was initially tended to by another doctor, was crying and hyperventilating.

After his interventions had helped and the two women were calmed, Coopersmith spent the rest of the flight filling out a pile of incident reports and other forms given to him - until it was time for breakfast. He barely slept.

On his return to Montreal, Coopersmith wrote to Air Canada, requesting a pair of business-class tickets to Europe to replace the two he hadn't had the chance to enjoy. The airline responded with a letter thanking him - and an offer to credit his Aeroplan account with 15,000 miles, the equivalent of a single short-haul flight, "to offset some of the inconvenience that you may have experienced."

Coopersmith was offended - and furious. "I paid for something I didn't get, which was a quiet and enjoyable flight," he said.

He wrote to Dr. Edward Bekeris of the airline's occupational health services department, who had replied to his first letter, and asked that the airline reconsider. Bekeris replied with a letter explaining that what was being offered was a token of appreciation intended to acknowledge volunteer medical assistance - and not compensation.

As was explained in a subsequent letter to Coopersmith from Air Canada's law branch, to offer compensation would be to change the nature of the doctor's role "from that of a Good Samaritan to that of a vendor providing a professonal service."

Airlines are notoriously sticky about compensating doctors who are travelling as passengers. Although some doctors have objected publicly, even tried to sue for fees, public opinion and, indeed, the prevailing opinion of their colleagues tends to go against them.

Coopersmith, who is a lawyer as well as a doctor, wrote back to Air Canada that he was not asking for compensation but that, rather, he was asking for what he had given up - and for the token of appreciation to be in the form of the 160,000 Aeroplan miles he had used.

Besides, he explained in an interview, while he volunteered his services initially, they were subsequently solicited when he was roused from sleep a second time - this time by the flight's service director. "She said she needed me right away," he said.

She was uncomfortable with the behaviour of the doctor who was tending to the other unwell patient - and who was preparing an injection to give to the passenger. On seeing Coopersmith approach, the other doctor, apparently angry, tossed the syringe into the cart and returned to his seat.

Coopersmith spoke to the woman. It turned out she was travelling to Paris for a funeral of someone close to her. "She was very anxious and she was having a panic attack." He checked her vital signs, covered her with blankets and warmed her with hot water bottles. He explained that he could give her medication to calm her, but that he would rather spend some time with her and see how she was doing. He spent 45 minutes or so with her, until she was quiet and felt better. He returned to his seat - and the forms.

Frustrated by what he perceives as the airline's "take it or leave it" attitude and the absence of an avenue to appeal its decision, he is considering taking his case to small claims court. "Somehow, I expected to be treated better by Air Canada," he said.

Bekeris declined to be interviewed about the case or Air Canada's policy. Peter Fitzpatrick, of the public relations department, said the airline makes decisions case by case and sometimes sends a small token of gratitude, which varies and "might include some Aeroplan miles."

In the absence of industry guidelines, airlines make individual decisions, looking at each incident on its merits. For instance, at Air Transat, said airline spokesperson Pierre Tessier, a thank-you letter is sent out and if the doctor has worked several hours, "sometimes we give them a ticket to go to a destination, or an upgrade to club class."

In 2001 the Medical Post, a publication read by the medical community, asked doctors to tell how they were treated by airlines after responding to a call for help. Of the 15 accounts published, a few involved upgrades to business or vouchers toward future flights, but several respondents had received no acknowledgement of their help.

Dr. Claude Thibeault, now medical adviser to the International Air Transport Association, was Air Canada's medical director for 13 years, until 2004, and he wrote "thousands" of letters of appreciation to doctors who had assisted during flights. He would talk to the doctor himself to be satisfied he had the proper account, he said, and in cases of significant involvement, Aeroplan miles were awarded. If a doctor was involved for much of the duration of a long flight, the token of appreciation "might have been a ticket: I say that with all due reserve."

When a doctor works for a considerable period during a flight, "I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that an airline come up with a non-monetary compensation," said Blackmer of the Canadian Medical Association.

"It doesn't seem unreasonable for him to get his air miles returned or be bumped up to business the next time he travels. ... It is just a societal acceptance that when one person does a good turn, if the other party is in a position to return it, that they would do it."

[email protected]

High-flying emergencies are rarely red alerts

Among the most common inflight emergencies are fainting, stomach upsets and respiratory problems, according to aviation officials. Serious inflight medical emergencies are relatively rare, considering that close to 2 billion people worldwide fly every year; they are mainly cardiac, neurological or respiratory.

In 2006, the United States Federal Aviation Administration cited a figure of one emergency for every 1,000 to 1,400 commercial airline departures, with one in 5,000 leading to an unscheduled landing for medical reasons.

When there is no doctor on board, airlines deal with companies that have connections to doctors on the ground who can advise crew or passengers on how to respond to emergencies.

The Gazette (Montreal)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,246 • Replies: 29
No top replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:56 pm
Sorry, but I believe he paid for transportation, not for the aesthetic quality of the flight. After that, he merely fulfilled his Hippocratic oath. I don't believe the airline is obliged to pay for his medical services, which is essentially what he is asking.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:47 pm
Well, if he deserves compensation, then I want my money back from the flight I took last summer where I was seated in front of a screaming baby. I didn't get a wink of sleep.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:48 pm
What if they had needed the assistance of an electrician for the galley? Plumber for the ladies room? Security guard for a possible threat? Sound tech for the onboard TV's or announcment system?

Is there a different standard applied based on occupation?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:49 pm
It isn't like he was diverted from his intended destination or anything. Rolling Eyes

Perhaps his greed comes more from his lawyer side than doctor side.
:wink:
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 10:21 pm
What if there was a problem with the aircraft (emergency) and there happened to be another pilot on board? I think with certain occupations it comes with the territory. If you have the knowledge needed and can help, then you should with no expectation of compensation.

On the other hand, what if you are in one of these occupations and your personal plans or private life is constantly interrupted? Think how that would feel.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 10:40 pm
He's expected by virtue of profession to jump up and perform, on his vacation? Yes.
Though historically, there has been a back and forth about good samaritan doctors getting sued for substantial monies.

I understand the hippocratic oath.

Seems a stupid savings on the part of the airline, to me, at first glance on the commentary.

Will follow along on arguements pertaining to this.

I suspect doctor number one has a pov as well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 10:41 pm
Oh, and by the way, what is The Gazette?

(there may be more to this story...)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 11:10 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Oh, and by the way, what is The Gazette?

(there may be more to this story...)

Montreal Gazette.

It has been in the 28 May edition, on the pages D1 and D3, "Art and Life" section, same text as online, with an addtional photo

http://i7.tinypic.com/6gk0cw6.jpg http://i12.tinypic.com/67rdp54.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 11:26 pm
Thanks.

Presently I'm on his side, though still listening.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 08:06 am
If I were the doctor in question, I wouldn't want compensation from Air Canada. I'd want compensation from the patient I treated.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 09:45 am
I'm inclined to side with the doctor here.

After all, being woken twice on an international flight and then deprived of further sleep would increase the jet lag for a five day vacation.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 09:55 am
What bothers me is that the airline should have enough courtesy to compensate the doctor with the flight miles he used and the out of pocket money he paid.
0 Replies

BDoug

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 03:41 pm
Put it into this context...

You're roused from sleep BY THE AIRLINE and asked to perform a service that you are otherwise compensated for during your regular working day. Your intent on this trip was to get away from work. The airline had the option to call ground control and get into contact with a service that the airline contracts with to provide medical advice.

Doctors and medical personel are ethically obligated to provide their services when needed and other alternatives would be ineffective or harmful. They are not public slaves.

The man deserves to have his ticket reimbursed or else a subsequent ticket of equal value offered. He's a good samaritan for helping the patients but the airline who asked him to do it should be obligated to return the favor.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 03:49 pm
Yes he's a doctor and bound to help someone in distress if possible, but at least some of his lost sleep was due to the forms he had to fill out. The forms were no doubt required by Air Canada's insurance company and no doubt required to cover the airline's butt. I'll bet that's the source of his feeling hard done by. They should refund him his airmiles.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 04:02 pm
BDoug wrote:
Put it into this context...

You're roused from sleep BY THE AIRLINE and asked to perform a service that you are otherwise compensated for during your regular working day. Your intent on this trip was to get away from work. The airline had the option to call ground control and get into contact with a service that the airline contracts with to provide medical advice.

Doctors and medical personel are ethically obligated to provide their services when needed and other alternatives would be ineffective or harmful. They are not public slaves.

The man deserves to have his ticket reimbursed or else a subsequent ticket of equal value offered. He's a good samaritan for helping the patients but the airline who asked him to do it should be obligated to return the favor.

Does this mean that if I see a car wreck and start yelling, "Hey! This guy over here needs a doctor!" that I should be responsible for the medical bills? (That's essentially what the airline did.) I don't think so! The doctor treated the passenger, not the airline. The patient owes him for services.

I think he went after the airline because they have deeper pockets.
0 Replies

BDoug

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 04:23 pm
Eva wrote:

Does this mean that if I see a car wreck and start yelling, "Hey! This guy over here needs a doctor!" that I should be responsible for the medical bills? (That's essentially what the airline did.) I don't think so! The doctor treated the passenger, not the airline. The patient owes him for services.

I think he went after the airline because they have deeper pockets.

The analogy isnt quite the same. The doctor isn't asking to be reimbursed for the cost of his services simply the money he paid out of his own pocket for services from the airline. When you buy a ticket you're not just buying a way from point a to point b, you're also buying the accomodations. Otherwise there would be no coach and first class and people would be more inclined to drive or take a train. You're paying for comfort and convenience. He wasn't able to enjoy the accomodations he paid for because they asked for his help and then required him to fill out a mountain of forms.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 04:50 pm
I guess we just have differing points of view, BDoug.

The way I see it, the airlines fulfilled their responsibilities when they gave him a seat and got him safely to his destination. They are not responsible for making their passengers happy. If that were the case, I should be able to get the price of my tickets refunded every time I am seated next to an obese person that crowds me, someone with body odor, a nonstop talker or a crying infant. I'm certainly not paying for (or getting!) comfort and convenience. I'm paying for safe and timely transportation. And he got that. Even if he was in first class, all that entitles him to is wider seats in a quieter part of the plane and better food. Still no guarantee that he will "enjoy" the flight. (Personally, I "endure" flights, not "enjoy" them.)

I hope he sends the patient a bill for his services. If I had been in that passenger's place, I would happily pay it. If I'd been the doctor, I think I would owe the airline a "thank you" for referring some business my way. But then, I am self-employed, so perhaps I see things differently.

As you said, doctors know they have an ethical responsibility to respond whenever someone needs help, regardless of whether or not they are "on the clock," so if he's resentful, he picked the wrong profession. I can only hope that if I ever need emergency medical help while I'm flying, there will be a doctor on board who will not resent helping me.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:32 pm
http://i15.tinypic.com/62p7243.jpg

Embarrassed
I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.....
0 Replies

BDoug

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 09:15 am
I see your point of view Eva and you're right, I think we might just have to agree to disagree.

But don't kid yourself, I doubt if anyone EVER will write a thank you note to the airlines for "referring" a patient. Doctors get plenty of work without needing to "drum up" business. Not to mention I don't think there is any legal course he can take to bill the patient anyway.

Concerning the minor annoyances you mentioned, airlines are actually addressing those issues. Some airlines now require obese passengers to pay for two tickets, while excessive body odor and unruly passengers can be asked to deplane before take off. And again these are MINOR annoyances. Spending the majority of your flight working at the request of the airline is not a minor annoyance.
0 Replies