Best actor ever

Don1

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 02:37 am
I've been watching the TV series Shark for the last few weeks and I now think James Woods is the finest actor in the world.

Who do you think is the best?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,242 • Replies: 108
No top replies

contrex

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 03:22 am
You already posted this exact same question in "TV" on 28/5/2007 at 08:25. Had you forgotten?

I still say

1. Javier Bardem
2. Gael Garcia Bernal
3. Trevor Eve
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 04:59 am
No contrex I haven't forgotten but since you were the only one to offer an opinion I thought perhaps I was in the wrong forum
0 Replies

jennym

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 06:33 pm
Three favorites, and in no particular order:

Gary Oldman
Al Pacino
Meryl Streep
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:01 pm
Al Pacino
Robert De Niro
Tim Robbins
Kevin Spacey
Anthony Hopkins
Ian McClellan
Montgomery Cliff
Gregory Peck
Marlon Brando

not enough time to keep the list going but James Woods would be somewhere past 100.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:05 pm
Peter Ustinov

.........lots and lots of space to the vcery end

Pauley Schorr
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 11:01 am
I would chose Anthony Hopkins and Meryl Streep because they both meet the criterion of being able to appear as someone completely different from one role to the next, as opposed to, for example, someone like Kevin Costner, who plays Kevin Costner in every movie he is in, even if it is role such as Robin Hood.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 11:12 am
Setanta wrote:
I would chose Anthony Hopkins and Meryl Streep because they both meet the criterion of being able to appear as someone completely different from one role to the next, as opposed to, for example, someone like Kevin Costner, who plays Kevin Costner in every movie he is in, even if it is role such as Robin Hood.

Meryl Streep has a good deal of diversity. She is also one of the most awarded female actresses. Have you seen Mr. Beeks? It elevated my opinion of Kevin Costner.

However, Anthony Hopkins and Robert Deniro (excepting older movies like Taxi Driver) always seem to play the same role every time. I am quite sick of both of them now.

Dustin Hoffman, Brad Pitt, Nicolas Cage, and Tom Hanks are male actors that I think have demonstrated good diversity. Well, so has Leonardo Di Caprio, but meh.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 11:15 am
Johnny Dep might qualify on that criterion, too. However, i think you do Anthony Hopkins a disservice. There was a role he played in which he was an efficiency expert in Australia, which was very much a different character than is so often offered to him. As well, his portrayal of William Bligh in Bounty was much different than the roles he usually gets. You know, it is entirely possible that you are judging Hopkins on his recent roles, when the Hannibal Lecter type of character is what the producer and the casting director a looking for.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 11:30 am
Setanta wrote:
However, i think you do Anthony Hopkins a disservice. There was a role he played in which he was an efficiency expert in Australia, which was very much a different character than is so often offered to him. As well, his portrayal of William Bligh in Bounty was much different than the roles he usually gets.

Hopkins was great in that movie. (Mel Gibson looked like an amateur as Fletcher Christian. Hopkins' performance blew Gibson off the screen.)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 11:34 am
I like Mel Gibson but you are right. Next to Sir Hopkins, Mel looked like amateur hour. Even Antonio Bandares in the first Zorro movie did better alongside Hopkins than ol' Mel.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 11:46 am
No one ever mentions Kevin Anderson. but I think, in addtion to some of the others mentioned, that he is fantastic.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 11:50 am
I would definitely add Denzel Washington to the bunch. I'm always impressed with every one of his characters. Also, Sam Jackson.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 11:53 am
Oh, yes. and Morgan Freeman as well.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 12:12 pm
Lest we forget:

Humphrey Bogart
Marlon Brando
Jimmy Cagney
Charlie Chaplin
Gary Cooper
Joseph Cotten
Cary Grant
William Holden
Emil Jannings
Jack Lemmon
Paul Muni
William Powell
Jimmy Stewart
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 12:12 pm
Setanta wrote:
Johnny Dep might qualify on that criterion, too. However, i think you do Anthony Hopkins a disservice. There was a role he played in which he was an efficiency expert in Australia, which was very much a different character than is so often offered to him. As well, his portrayal of William Bligh in Bounty was much different than the roles he usually gets. You know, it is entirely possible that you are judging Hopkins on his recent roles, when the Hannibal Lecter type of character is what the producer and the casting director a looking for.

I definitely agree with your nomination of Johnny Dep. I really like him. He's got style and he can play different roles.

Movies I have seen Hopkins in are:

Hannibal, Titus, Meet Joe Black, The Mask of Zorro, Amistad, Surviving Picasso, Legends of the Fall, The Silence of the Lambs, The World's Fastest Indian

My problem with him is not that he always plays the same role, but that he seems to project his own cockiness into every role, that makes the characters seem the same. It's the same with Deniro these days.

I try to judge an actor based on his most recent works, rather than his entire history, because actors change over time. They can become better or worse. Anthony hopkins 2007 is not the same as anthony hopkins 1967.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 12:15 pm
In no particular order.

Richard Burton
Sidney Poitier
Spencer Tracey
Robert Duvall
Anthony Hopkins
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 12:27 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Lest we forget:

Humphrey Bogart
Marlon Brando
Jimmy Cagney
Charlie Chaplin
Gary Cooper
Joseph Cotten
Cary Grant
William Holden
Emil Jannings
Jack Lemmon
Paul Muni
William Powell
Jimmy Stewart

Scratch that cigar store Indian, Gary Cooper, and i'm right there with ya.

Dressed up like a million dollar trouper
Trying hard to look like Gary Cooper
Super duper

Come let's mix where Rockefellers walk with sticks
Or "um-ber-ellas" in their mitts
Puttin' on the ritz
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 12:32 pm
wandeljw wrote:
Setanta wrote:
However, i think you do Anthony Hopkins a disservice. There was a role he played in which he was an efficiency expert in Australia, which was very much a different character than is so often offered to him. As well, his portrayal of William Bligh in Bounty was much different than the roles he usually gets.

Hopkins was great in that movie. (Mel Gibson looked like an amateur as Fletcher Christian. Hopkins' performance blew Gibson off the screen.)

I agree with you and EOE on that one. Gibson was not only unconvincing, but his "acting" in the scene of the mutiny itself was embarrassing. Add to that the competition. Charles Laughton played Bligh in 1935, and Trevor Howard in 1962--Hopkins turns in a credible performance in comparison to those two good actors. However, Mel was up against Clark Gable and Marlon Brando as Fletcher Christian . . . he was way out of his league . . .
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 12:34 pm
Here are some that you guys seem to have missed.

Arty Lang

Marty Feldman

Pamela Anderson

Vin Diesel

Ruth Buzzi

Don Knotts
0 Replies