Scientists breed cows that give skimmed milk

noinipo

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 05:31 pm
What a great discovery! This could be the beginning of a healthy century. One day all cows will give lean milk.
May 27, 2007
Scientists breed cows that give skimmed milk
SCIENTISTS have bred cows that produce skimmed milk and hope to establish herds of the cattle to meet the demands of health-conscious consumers.
The milk is also high in omega3 oils, claimed to improve brain power, and contains polyunsaturated fat. The saturated fats found in normal milk are linked to increased risk of heart disease. The cows, which have a particular genetic mutation, were bred from a single female discovered by researchers when they screened milk from millions of cattle in New Zealand.
Butter from these cows has the extra advantage of being spreadable straight from the fridge, like margarine.
Scientists at ViaLactia, the biotech firm behind the £55m research, have named the cow Marge. Russell Snell, ViaLactia's chief scientist, said: "Marge looks like an ordinary Friesian cow but has three key differences. She produces a normal level of protein in her milk but substantially less fat, and the fat she does produce has much more unsaturated fat. She also produces milk with very high levels of omega3 oils."
Marge was discovered in 2001 when ViaLactia's researchers bought her from her owner for £120 and moved her to a secret location.
The key issue was whether her calves would inherit her traits. "You have to generate daughters and then they have to carry a calf and deliver milk," said Snell. "The eureka moment was when we found her daughters produced milk like their mother."
The Auckland-based company says the first commercial herds for spreadable butter could be expected by 2011.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article1845223.ece
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 954 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Chai

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 06:08 pm
I wonder what it tastes like?
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 08:13 pm
Your question makes me wonder what baby milk tastes like. I have forgotten.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 08:25 pm
bleech.

I've drunk soy for so long the thought of cow's milk, or any mammals, isn't at all appealing.

Kinda gross when you think about it.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:09 pm
Babies are so happy looking when they suck to their heart's content.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:33 pm
Are we having the same conversation? Confused
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 02:45 am
Tastes like full cream milk just half the fat.

Thats an advert on TV here at present.

Dairy cows always look so skinney to me I find it hard to believe they dont already give lean milk.

Is this genetic modification as per monsanto and corn/canola? whats different.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 04:50 pm
Is this genetic modification as per monsanto and corn/canola? whats different.
Among thousands of cows, scientists found one that had lean milk. No manipulation or playing with nature. They bought the cow from the farmer and put it in hiding.
Now they found that the calves are the same way. Once they create a herd, they are on their way to something wonderful.
Genetic manipulation is not good. This is good.
My mother told me a story about milk. In 1945 she was on a freight train to get away from the Soviet army invading Germany.
Several hundred on the train, nothing to eat for days. They arrived at a herd of cows crying with pain: their udders were too full.
The farmers had been killed by planes strafing them.
All the able people went and milked all the cows by hand. The refugees had food and the cows made them all honorary citizens. All were relieved and happy.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 04:58 pm
uh huh...a dairy cows life is not a happy one, sorry to say.

When I lived out in the country for a while, there were a number of large dairy farms around. I became friends with a retired vetinarian who had concentrated his practice on livestock and got quite an education on many farm animals.

Too long to go into here, but even on a good farm where they are fed properly and cared for, they are literally worn out from producing milk and once their production goes down...well, no need to keep them around.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 05:48 pm
Same goes for all farm animals. You feed them and they become your friends. Little do they know that their days are counted. They are exploited all their short lives and then made into delicious meals.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 07:22 pm
I have a friend who whilst not actually being a buddist tries to live his life along those lines. A most interesting chap. He owns a small farm which is being restored to a more natural setting. He runs 325 sheep which are shorn each year for their wool. As they reach a less economically productive phase he retires them to the "timber paddock" where they live out the fullness of their lives along with the rams when they (the rams) are not actually "working". Occasionaly he gets an extra lamb or two.

I offered to come and work for him if I could have the same conditions.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:02 pm
By definition, cows can not give "skimmed milk", because they have no opposable thumbs by which to skim the cream. Some dairy breeds have higher butterfat levels than others (particularly Jerseys), so it would be no surprise that breeders could select for genetic strains that produce low-fat milk.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:15 pm
I'm opposed to milk, but I'm a huge fan of cheese, sour cream, and yogurt.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:39 pm
CowDoc wrote:
By definition, cows can not give "skimmed milk", because they have no opposable thumbs by which to skim the cream. Some dairy breeds have higher butterfat levels than others (particularly Jerseys), so it would be no surprise that breeders could select for genetic strains that produce low-fat milk.

So really its normal fat milk. Less fatty than the milk produced by the cows we have bred thus far that produce extra high fat milk.

Round and round went the wheel.

Did you know- factories recieve whole milk and modify huge quantities so tha butterfat content is stabilised at a certain precentage. they do this by removing the fats (cream). They then add cream back into certain quantities of the bulk milk and sell it to you as "Xtra cream" or "hicream" or some such attractive marketing gizmoname and you pay more for it.

We would all be better of if we had to get up at 6.00 am and milk the cow each morning (by hand).
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:29 pm
Well thank God for division of labour! I've swore of the milk myself, soy just tastes better. I don't eat butter or cream either, but give me condensed milk anyday, yea!
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 11:49 pm
Of course, if we simply quit homogenizing the milk, we could skim it ourselves. What a concept!
0 Replies