HERE'S THE DEAL

roger

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 03:27 pm
True soozoo, but don't you ever have additional thoughts about those that represent themselves as university students or <shudder> graduates, while writing and puntuating at, or below, the 4th grade level? When I see them, I'm immediately suspecting a put-on.
0 Replies

soozoo

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 03:41 pm
Yes Roger, I know what you mean, and I do suspect that some of them are kids, or at least I hope so when I see how poorly they write and spell.

But I'm sure some of those who ask questions with obvious answers are adults. It befuddles me. People are interesting!
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 03:50 pm
The answer may not be so obvious to the writer, or they may be looking for alternatives to what seems to be the obvious answer but do not know how to phrase the question. I think many people have difficulty formulating a question to elicit information outside the realm of their own experience. They might not like or find reasonable what seems to be the obvious solution but don't how to search for alternatives.
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 10:46 am
Back from the dead but, only momentarily.

I think roger and I are of the same thought with some of the "Help me" posts. With the othere? I'm not sure. It may be as Acquiunk notes and the poster just lacks experience. I find that often the person has already made up their mind and just wants permission to go ahead and do what they planned to do in the first place. Some really do want some advice. Some make one post and that's it. It generally has numerous typo's (and I should talk) and poor grammar and the person is in a Masters Program somewhere. Others just walk into the room and the first post they ever make is of such a serious nature that you wonder why a person would ask such a question of complete strangers. In any case, seldom do the people that reply ask the person whAt they want to do. (I seldom do either) That is where the answer lies. The person needs to decide what they want to do, balance the pro and cons and do something. There is room to be supportive but, some people spend their life being supported by others. That (as my wife would say) may sound a bit hateful but, it's not intended to be. A lot of people just don't want to make decisions.

Love the Ted Williams quote!
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 10:49 am
Actually what I may be doing is saying here what I want to say when I see one of those posts but, don't do so because it would hurt some feelings.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 11:07 am
yes you are right Morganwood - a lot of people are wanting the answer they want to be supported - right or wrong. They simply ignore any true 'thinking around' the problem. Poor you, life is so difficult, of course you can't cope is the correct answer!

I agree with your wife - sometimes straight speaking and 'tough love' is what is needed - support with conditions about working through, not merely wallowing in self pity.

Gosh this is rambling and exactly what you were saying about dreadful writing! I hope you understand what i mean!
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 11:16 am
Yep!
0 Replies

Tootsie

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 11:02 pm
On the "can't/won't" essay ...
Hello, everyone! I am quite new here, but have already enjoyed several posts, especially the most recent article by Morganwood. As a high school teacher, I often encounter the word "can't" in student responses! I'd love to suggest that my students replace "can't" with the phrase "It will be difficult." Morganwood, do you mind very much if I borrow it? Thanks in advance ... Smile
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 12:52 pm
Welcome to A2K Tootsie and, feel free.
0 Replies