that was it

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 03:50 am
"You weren't allowed to look at the guards. If you looked at them, that was it, you would get punished."

It must be some idiom. Meaning: "that was the end of the good time"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 684 • Replies: 11
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 04:01 am
Yes, "that was it", said with emphasis on the word "it", conveys idiomatically the idea of some climactic point, good or bad, or moment of decision having been reached.

People say things like "I fell in love with Mary the moment I met her. We looked into each other's eyes and that was it". Or, "I took my new car back to the garage four times to have things fixed, but when a wheel fell off, well, that was it. No more!".
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 06:30 am
A similar idiom would be "that's all s/he wrote", meaning that there was no more to be said.
0 Replies

literarypoland

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 05:21 am
Thanks, these little idioms somehow can't find their way into dictionaries.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 05:34 am
Theres gotta be a dictionary of idiomatic phrases because our culture couldnt get along without em. We run with phrases and use them intensely , then, all of a sudden, everyone stops using on because it has become trite. Then we rush off and adapt to another batch of phrases that occupy our speech for at least a year or more.
We have a strtigraphy of dead phrases that we use to "date" our communications.

They are often meant to be slightly humorous, ironic, or sarcastic.
Often , in classes, I get the idiomatic phrases and colloquialisms in papers from students and its quite amazing, the staying power that some of these phrases have. For me, the latest is one where the stdents accuse each other (and me) of having an "attitude", meaning that they feel they are being disrespected. Im always poking them to be more creative in their choices of words and I have a STAPLES buzzer that when you push it , says 'There, that was easy". Silly, I know, but Ive got a small war on idiomatic phrases being used by graduate students in science. Really honks my flivver Smile
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 05:40 am
farmerman wrote:
Theres gotta be a dictionary of idiomatic phrases because our culture couldnt get along without em. We run with phrases and use them intensely , then, all of a sudden, everyone stops using on because it has become trite.

I can dig it man.
0 Replies

literarypoland

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 05:44 am
Of course. I have Ammer's dictionary, now available free of charge on Answers.com.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 05:47 am
dadpad wrote:
farmerman wrote:
Theres gotta be a dictionary of idiomatic phrases because our culture couldnt get along without em. We run with phrases and use them intensely , then, all of a sudden, everyone stops using on because it has become trite.

I can dig it man.

I can smell where you're comin' from . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 06:05 am
DY-NO-MITE
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 06:05 am
It's out-o-sight, Dude . . .
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 06:12 am
Fully sick homey.