jews and german products

tali

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:05 pm
dunno if this is right section to post but what is the jewish attitude towards german products (esp cars)- do jews buy them?- do large german companies operate in israel?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,013 • Replies: 16
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:12 pm
I have several Jewish friends, one has a BMW, another has a Mercedes, and he always buys Mercs.

For years, Germany has been Israel's second-largest trading partner after the US. In 2006, bilateral trade totalled USD 4.9 billion, Germany providing 8.26% of Israeli imports (worth approx. USD 3.2 billion) and taking 5.58% of Israeli exports (worth approx. USD 1.7 billion). Imports from Germany grew by 7.33% and exports to Germany by 31.20% compared with the previous year.

Germany's relatively large share of Israel's foreign trade is all the more remarkable given the fact that German companies are not involved in important trade sectors: the import of petroleum and other fuels and the diamonds trade.

The principal German exports to Israel are high-quality processed goods, the most important being chemical products, plastic and rubber goods, metal goods, all types of machinery, vehicles, measuring and medical equipment. As in other markets, quality and innovativeness are particularly valued.

Germany's main imports from Israel are chemical products, especially pharmaceuticals, and electrical and electronic goods. Agricultural products are much less important than in the past.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 05:39 pm
My Jewish grandparents drove Cadillacs. If it was because of the war they never said so. My grandfather lost almost his entire immediate family in the camps, but he never expressed anger at Germans or German corporations in my life time. I think there was always a huge difference between a Nazi and a German in his mind. I did have a Jewish friend growing up whose parents banned Wagner operas from being played in their home. They said it made them think of Hitler.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 05:53 pm
I was raised in a near microcosm of irish roman catholicity, though not inculcated - perhaps unusually, or maybe not - with aversion to jewish people. To some extent, maybe the opposite; my parents worked in Hollywood in the thirties, where they met.

My first lover was jewish, his parents very very left on the spectrum, and he and they weren't religious. That was in the early sixties. He would never have bought a volkswagen; I somehow, this time later, remember him saying so - though vdubs were few on the land back then, though I rode in a vw in Chicago in 1955 - and not only because he only got around by bicycle over scads of miles.

On the other hand, as years have gone by, many friends of whatever level of jewish observation have bought bmws and mercedes, perhaps in a kind of take that, thwap!!!, or not. Not my business, basically.

I can understand either way.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 05:59 pm
I'll add that my friend's opinion in 1963 could be very different from people's opinions now. Now most everybody who can afford such wants a well engineered car, except those who may buy local for various patriotic reasons, or financial reasons. Well engineered cars aren't all from one place, but a whole bunch are.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 01:43 am
0 Replies

tali

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 03:27 pm
thanks for some intresting observations, it seems that german products are not a problem for the jewish community, likewise in the uk pensioners who were held by japanese captors in the war buy a lot of japanese cars
also of note many pakistani muslims are huge watchers and fans of hindu bollywood movies -despite the historical tensions between the 2 countries
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 04:48 pm
As a Jew for years after WW2 the thought of buying a volkwagen or any other German made product was abhorrent to me. But than I came to realize if we did not buy products of any nation that in the past had engaged in murdering Jews. We would not buy a single product from Europe and other areas of the world.
Note:I still would not purchase a German auto.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 05:05 pm
au1929 wrote:
Note:I still would not purchase a German auto.

Well, I suppose I understand that, because I will not willingly buy an American product if I can get the equivalent from elsewhere. This is because of Iraq, and blind US support of illegal Israeli behaviour in Palestine. I say this as a (non-self-hating!) British born secular Jew.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 05:18 pm
contrex
To say I disagree with you regarding Israel would be an understatement. I have however, no wish to debate the issue with you. I wonder however , where you will run to when they start killing Jews in France. Remember the German Jews all loyal Germans had the same attitude as you seem to have.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 05:21 pm
I am German, I have Jewish friends, they drive German cars, their son
is my godchild. We celebrate jewish and catholic holidays together.
We are foremost people, nationality and religion comes in second, at least
for some of us.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 05:32 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
I am German, I have Jewish friends, they drive German cars, their son
is my godchild. We celebrate jewish and catholic holidays together.
We are foremost people, nationality and religion comes in second, at least
for some of us.

PS someone should have told that to the Germans before the marched the Jews to The Ovens and gas chambers.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 05:47 pm
I can understand your position au1929, but neither my friends or I have
been part of WWII, nor have my parents for that matter. There is certainly a collective guilt we carry as Germans, however, I refuse to buy into
being blamed for something I have not taken part in.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 05:00 am
au1929 wrote:
I have however, no wish to debate the issue with you.

You are not being invited to.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 05:48 am
CalamityJane
I am not blaming you for anything. However, being old enought to have lived when all this occurred has left a bitter taste that will never go away. At least not for me.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 10:28 pm
tali:

Hmm, many of the top Bollywood stars are Muslims - Shah Rukh Khan, Salman Khan, oldies like Suraya, Dilip Kumar, Manoj Kumar, Saira Banu, singer Mohammed Rafi,
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 03:05 pm
Even as a secular atheistic American Jew I am not anxious to buy any European products. I have this nagging feeling that there were too many Europeans that were just too comfortable with the Holocaust. Anti-Semitism was such an indelible part of many country's culture, I would rather buy Asian products. Even today, the European concern for Palestinians makes me wonder if that is just an excuse to revert to the anti-Semitism that was a part of Europe (when there were Jews there). It's almost as though some Europeans miss their anti-Semitism.
Germans were historically less anti-Semitic than many other European (and Eastern European) countries. They just had the technology at that point in time (WWII) to be very efficient. I think Israel exists today because the Allies understood that much of Europe, after WWII, did not want any surviving Jews returning to the countries that they lived in.
I understand many American Jews won't buy German cars, or more telling perhaps, won't visit Germany on vacation. However, some Russian Jews have emigrated to Germany, and the day will come when Germany will have a Jewish community again. The fact that Russian Jews are already laying the foundation for a Jewish community in Germany may be a very good indicator of Germany, more than many other countries, as having addressed their past (in WWII) and has attempted to deal with it.
0 Replies