tuition deposit

J-B

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:43 am
Quote:
You will have until two weeks from the date on the letter to return the other papers/ information, but we must have that yellow confirmation form and your tuition deposit by June 1, 2007. If we do not have these items, we cannot place you in housing.

Good news: I have been accepted into the University of Chicago's Summer Programme with considerable amount of award. I started preparing for it just after my return from Hongkong. And it took me only 1 week to finish right before the deadline. Thanks everybody.

Problem: What's a "tuition deposit"? And, more important question is, how to pay for it? I thought I should pay by real cash, which was immediately scorned by my parents. Yet if I should pay in other ways other than card, how can I do?

Thank you
J-B
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,783 • Replies: 14
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:48 am
Congratulations, J-B! The University of Chicago is a very prestigious institution.

There should be some information in the materials you received that indicates how you should pay.

I don't think it should be cash, if you're sending it through the mail. A check seems like the most likely way to pay -- but again, the information should be provided somewhere, and different places have different preferences.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:57 am
This looks like it may be useful:

http://www.uchicago.edu/docs/ebill/faq-public.html

Quote:
Why should I use E-Bill?
# E-Bill is very easy to use! It takes just a few simple steps to sign up.
# You can access and pay your bill online from anywhere in the world, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
# You have access to your previous bills during the academic year.
# You have a record of all payments made online.
# You are notified of new statements electronically, eliminating delays from standard mail delivery.
# There's no more worry about keeping track of the paper, and your payments can be applied faster.
# There's no need to send your bill to your parents or other payers.
# E-Bill allows you to reduce paper usage, which is friendlier to the environment.
# E-Bill is safe and secure, and it's the University's new preferred method of payment. [/b]

I'd really encourage you to talk to someone at the university before going ahead with it, though. There must be some contact info on the letter you received?
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:01 am
Sozobe,

Then I think my question is primarily about the word "check" and how a thing like "check" works.

Now if I have $500 and I want to transfer it via "check", I should certainly deposit a real amount of money into some kind of institution. Then, that institution will receive the money and issue a kind of certificate for me, on being showed which other branches of the same institution should recognize and send an equivalent amount to the address I have designated. I hope my notion is not too distorted.

Now the problem arises. All of the preceding procedures rely on the assumption that there is one institution all across. Yet how can I know if there is really one institution? Normally I will use Chinese Post Service to make check payments within this country. But how to go beyond borders?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:22 am
Well, what I emphasized in the excerpt above is that the E-Bill system can be used anywhere in the world. So I think you'd be able to use that just fine.

As for a "check":

Checks are good across institutions. It doesn't all have to be the same one.

For example, say that my bank is called Bank of America. I open an account with them. When I do that, I put some money in the bank, and I get a booklet of blank checks. They look something like this (but not filled out):

http://www.echo-inc.com/check_image.jpg

If I want to make a payment -- to anyone who accepts checks, which is a very large percentage of all merchants, and across many, many different institutions -- I go ahead and write out a certain amount on my check. That amount must be less than the amount in the bank, because when the recipient deposits the check in their OWN bank account, the money will be removed from my account and put into the recipient's bank account. (Those banks may be different. The recipient doesn't also have to be a member of Bank of America to get the money.)

So for example, if you have $1,000 in your account to start with, and I also have $1,000, and I write you a check for $500, after you deposit your check I will have $500 left in my account and you will have $1,500 in your account.

Does that make sense?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:32 am
J-B wrote:
Sozobe,

Then I think my question is primarily about the word "check" and how a thing like "check" works.

Now if I have $500 and I want to transfer it via "check", I should certainly deposit a real amount of money into some kind of institution. Then, that institution will receive the money and issue a kind of certificate for me, on being showed which other branches of the same institution should recognize and send an equivalent amount to the address I have designated. I hope my notion is not too distorted.

Now the problem arises. All of the preceding procedures rely on the assumption that there is one institution all across. Yet how can I know if there is really one institution? Normally I will use Chinese Post Service to make check payments within this country. But how to go beyond borders?

I'm not famaliar with the Chinese Post Service but either they or a major bank in your area will have a way to make International payments. Either they have their own International Bank Checks (you would pay them in cash and they would give you back a check that is guaranteed by them) or access to an International money transfer system (i.e. Western Union, American Express, etc..) where again, you would pay them in cash and they would transfer the funds (for a fee!) to the school directly.

You should be able to ask about this sort of thing at any bank or the Chinese Post and get answers on exactly who can do it and how they go about getting it done.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:49 am
J-b Checks (also cheques in countries that speak proper english) are not a safe form of payment to accept from someone you do not trust.[/]

How do you know a person has that amount of money in his bank account?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:51 am
By depositing the check.

If it "clears" (the money appears in your account), then it's fine. If it "bounces" (the money doesn't appear in your account, because the person who gave you the check doesn't have enough money in his or her account), it's not.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:57 am
Then you need to chase that person for the money.

Yes it is fraud and legally they should not "bounce" a cheque. Often it will cost more in time and money to recover the amount owed

Soz I am pointing out the limitations/problems of the system for someone unused to it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 09:01 am
I didn't read carefully, sorry, I thought that was J-B's question. The "quote" stuff got me confused.

Yes, if you don't trust someone, you should deposit the check before providing the goods or services that you are providing in exchange for payment.

Doesn't quite apply here though since you're talking about paying for something, yourself.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 09:04 am
Buy a cashiers check from your bank, have it made out to the university
and send it via mail with your documentation.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 03:38 am
Earlier on I I asked Sarah, the person takes charge of this in U of C, on the question. She replied:

Quote:
You can fax me the required forms and mail an international money order for the tuition deposit.

Today I cycled to the City Post Service and inquired about international money transfer. I found this service was run exclusively by Western Union. I asked them how money transfer of Western Union work. They told me I could successfully send to an individual money merely with his or her name. Upon the delivery the system will bring me a code, with knowing which my recipient can claim the very amount of money in any branches around the world .

It they insisted this service (person-person/organization-person) could not work if I attempt to send money to an organization, and if that organization doesn't have a Western Union code. Now the problem is here. I only know of the address of "Summer Session Office" yet without knowing of its code or account (Yes, I am sure of its absence). I have the name of the chief admission officer, which means I can send money directly to her. Yet I bet this simply doesn't work in this way.

I will e-mail her immediately. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you
J-B
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 03:46 am
sozobe wrote:
Well, what I emphasized in the excerpt above is that the E-Bill system can be used anywhere in the world. So I think you'd be able to use that just fine.

I shall also inquire about this.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 03:53 am
The problem now is, I don't have any kind of account or code of the office I am supposed send my money to. Without its Western Union code I can't do Western Union. Without its bank account I can't transfer through bank.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 06:49 am
jb here is how a western union transfer to the US would work from Australia.

Simply go to your local participating Australia Post outlet location * and fill out the form, "To Send Money".
2. Present your completed form and the money to the agent. Depending on the amount you send, you may need to present photo identification. Be sure to get a receipt with the Western Union Money Transfer Control Number.
I think you are in china, Yes? and western union and it says you will need pinyan, is that photo identification?)
3. Inform the receiver of the transfer and the amount of money that you sent. Within minutes (subject to operating hours of agent locations and compliance requirements), the money you sent will be available for payout to your intended recipient at any Western Union agent location worldwide.

I also understand the Agricultural Bank of China have a western union arrangement as well.

In your forms somewhere there should be a code for the Nearest agent to your university or the western union agent usually used by the university. If not you can locate an agent using western unions agent locator on line. Unfortunatly all the western union websites seem to not be responding at this time. I imagine this is because it is the middle of the night in US.
0 Replies