On This Day in History

Letty

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 09:54 am
Today in History

Today in History - July 20

Today is Sunday, July 20, the 201st day of 2003. There are 164 days left in the year.

Today's Highlight in History:

On July 20, 1969, Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong and Edwin ``Buzz'' Aldrin became the first men to walk on the moon as they stepped out of their lunar module.

There are still those who believe that the moon landing never took place, enhanced by the movie "Capricorn I".

Any pros and cons on this theory?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,764 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 10:06 am
There are still those who believe the earth is flat, too. Honest.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 10:11 am
Andrew, Are you telling me that The Flat Earth Society still exists. Shocked

As I recall, some one heckled Buzz Aldrin about this very thing, and old Buzz gave 'em a whack.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 10:11 am
My grandmother took it as a Hollywood con. I've seen where some try to discredit the landing. I found a web site that answered the accusations point by point - long ago, don't have the link - Years before that I hitched a ride with a man who told me the following: "They will never land on the moon because it goes too fast. They could never catch it." Which shows how unsophisticated human minds can be.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 10:15 am
Far as I know, Letty, the Flat Earth Society is alive and well. Prob'ly not too many members but membership, after all, is not the sole criterion here. These people have faith.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 10:16 am
Hey, Edgar. Then where are them moon rocks? Smile

Now wait just a minute, here. The only proof that the earth is oval shaped is because Columbus didn't fall off the edge when he came to 'merica. Look what happened to him. He died in debtor's prison.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 10:32 am
http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/PSEUDOSC/ConspiracyTheoryDidWeGototheMoon.htm

That's just one site. I'll find more in a sec.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 10:33 am
http://www.bestofcolumbus.com/Braeunig/space/hoax.htm
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 10:35 am
http://homepage.mac.com/casewright/essays/moon_lowman.html
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 10:35 am
There are plenty of other sites, but these should keep you busy for a while.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 10:55 am
Irrevocable proof, Andrew. Cool

but..but...but, you mean there is no one on the entire planet of A2K who can make a case for the landing being a hoax. Shocked

This is just in fun now. A little way to commemorate Apollo 11.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 11:58 am
Congratulations on this 34th anniversary of the moon landing. I remember watching it on TV and thinking how stupid "That's one small step for man..." was for a first thing to say on the Moon.

The hoax-supporters point out that there are no stars in the night sky in any of the photos on the moon. But this is a side-effect of photography- cameras normally assume that the average light intensity of what they look at is (I think) 40%. So since the bright white of the landscape is so intense, the faint light of the stars gets ignored/washed out by the camera lens.

They also point out that the lift-off of the lunar module makes no noise, when the astronauts radios were on. Shouldn't there have been a big roar? No- there is no atmosphere and therefore no sound outside where the exhaust was happening. The special fuel used for the moon liftoff had to contain its own oxygen for that very reason.

I remember hearing someone interviewed in the 1960's that said the space program was dangerous because we might poke a hole in the atmosphere and let all the air out.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 12:07 pm
www.howstrange.com/gallery/image67.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 12:11 pm
Well, there are only three real basic truths in the world:

1. Men are always right.
2. Women's place is in the kitchen.
3. The earth is a disc.

:wink:

Honestly, it's really worth remembering this anniversary.

(As a German, however, I'm thinking at this date today at first of the 59th anniversary of the assassination attempt against Adolf Hitler.
I recommend this website for more info on that:
The German Conspiracy to Destroy Hitler
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 12:19 pm
Razz equus.

Walter, I do believe that I saw a movie on the attempted assassination of Hitler called "Night of the Generals." and that the reason behind that plot had to do with the fact that Hitler would never surrender thus leaving Germany open to total devastation.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 12:28 pm
Letty- There is a movie about the Hitler assassination. I can't think of the name of it either. But I think "Night of the Generals" was a suspense movie about a serial-killing german general (Peter O'Toole)

Walter- what do you think would have happened if the assassination had been successful? Would von Stauffenberg and Rommel and the rest have been considered heroes or criminals?

What if NEITHER the moon landing NOR the assassination attempt were real?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 12:35 pm
The film's title is correct.
[The reason for the assacination (very short) was that some high officers wanted to seize control of the government, and seek more favourable peace terms from the Allies.]
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 12:37 pm
Equus

If they had succeeded, they certainly would have been heros - at least, during the time they could have been governing.
(They are 'kind of hero's now.)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 01:11 pm
Hmmmm. I thought that was the movie, and now I believe the twist to the plot involved a cover up of some kind. A google search didn't help much.

Well, conspiracy theories come and go; the answers we may never know. Razz
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 02:08 pm
Letty, here's my case for the landing being a hoax:

It obviously never happened because, since the moon is made of green cheese, how could it ever support the weight of the landing? Also, wouldn't the man on the moon have talked to the astronauts if in fact they had ever really landed?

No one ever addresses those two issues and I believe an Independent Counsel must be appointed right now!

:wink: Laughing Laughing :wink: Rolling Eyes
0 Replies