Life expectancy 500 years

au1929

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 08:42 am
180 years old? Experts debate limit of aging
Saturday, July 19, 2003 Posted: 6:25 PM EDT (2225 GMT)
 []I think we are knocking at the door of immortality.[]

-- Montclair State University professor Michael Zey
SAN FRANCISCO, California (Reuters) -- Fancy living another 100 years or more? Some experts said on Saturday that scientific advances will one day enable humans to last decades beyond what is now seen as the natural limit of the human life span.
"I think we are knocking at the door of immortality," said Michael Zey, a Montclair State University business professor and author of two books on the future. "I think by 2075 we will see it and that's a conservative estimate."

What do you think would you want to live 500 years? Question
Could this planet support a population resulting from this long life span?
I wonder what the retirement age will be with a 500 year average life span?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/07/19/aging/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,032 • Replies: 14
No top replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 09:14 am
Re: Life expectancy 500 years
au1929 wrote:
What do you think would you want to live 500 years? Question
Could this planet support a population resulting from this long life span?
I wonder what the retirement age will be with a 500 year average life span?

1. I want to live as long as I can;

2. Probably not, but with scientific advances, perhaps we really could have people living on other planets as well;

3. Well, long ago and far away, it was estimated by a sociology prof of mine that we would become a more leisure-oriented society as we became a more technically-advanced society; so, if that is indeed true, the retirement age will be irrelevant.

Who knows?

Hope to see lots of different responses to this one, au!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 09:20 am
As an atheiist, I have a vested interest in not dying. I doubt that all the bugs to an aged population can be worked out, but, who knows. The young people might go berserk and murder all the oldies to get relief for themselves.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 01:52 pm
I cannot imagine living to 500. If you said 125-150, and in good health, that would sound good to me.

I think that the social problems brought about by such longevity (500 years) would be unimaginably huge. I think that the social structure would have to be constructed over completely.

I wonder how many husbands Liz Taylor would accumulate in 500 years?? Laughing
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 02:40 pm
I wonder if they adjust the times that some of our other functions will continue to remain in working order. Guess which ones Embarrassed
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 02:49 pm
au, I was going on the presumption that all 'things' would indeed be in working order...otherwise, I would not have answered as I did! :wink:
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 02:50 pm
Depends. Will I be "old" for 400 of those years, or young?

Either way, the societal costs would be enormous. Procreation would have to be severely limited, and the effect this would have on the family unit, and consequently social values and cohesiveness, could be catastrophic.

It would work better if it were only made available to a select few. (Where do I go to sign up?)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 03:09 pm
Newbie's are at the bottom of the list. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 03:15 pm
Now if I were say 22 now, and science was able to stop the clock for a few hundred years, that would be great. Starting out now, I'm not so sure!
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 03:31 pm
Greyfan:
Quote:
It would work better if it were only made available to a select few. (Where do I go to sign up?)

au1929:
Quote:
Newbie's are at the bottom of the list.

Darn.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 03:39 pm
Phoenix32890
Hey if they can keep you alive for 500 years they are obligated to fix or repair existing plumbing.
0 Replies

heartbroken14

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 01:02 pm
Question
0 Replies

heartbroken14

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 01:04 pm
I personally wouldn't mind living to be 500 years old, but would my body agree with me?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 06:26 pm
Due to the thrilling joy of reincarnation I have quite possibly already lived 500 years. To do it all in one life time though, seems a bit insane...imagine going through the same headache filled hassles and heartaches and other things day after day after day after day after day after day...for 500 years without a break. Too much time for one visit to a body form, better to have it done over several lifetimes.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 06:59 pm
I dunno. Somedays are already so exhausting...

We'd probably learn to not worry about the same headaches over and over, but we should proably learn that now.
0 Replies