labor racketeer

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 02:46 am
Who was such a person? In the 1920s, 30s, in America, some sort of a gangster.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 543 • Replies: 7
No top replies

contrex

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 03:18 am
Not just those decades. Before and since.

Quote:
Labor racketeering is the infiltration, domination, and/or use of a union or employee benefit plan for personal benefit by illegal, violent, or fraudulent means. Organized crime is defined as activities carried out by groups with a formalized structure whose primary objective is to obtain money through illegal activities. Traditionally, organized crime has been carried out by La Cosa Nostra (LCN) groups, also known as the "mob" or the "Mafia." However, new groups are emerging and organizing. For example, organized crime groups now include Asian, Russian, Eastern European, Nigerian, and West African groups.

- from the US Govt Department Of Labor website

http://www.oig.dol.gov/laborracprogram.htm

Point to note: "Labor" is a US spelling. "Labour" is the spelling in countries which use British English spelling practice. For example, the present governing party in Britain is the Labour Party. This is often mis-spelled in US media as "Labor Party". Note, however, that the name of the Australian Labor Party is thus spelled, even though the word "labour" usually has a "u" in that country.

Note however that the New Zealand Labour Party officially spells its name with a "u". although many instances of the American spelling can be found in references on the web.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style_(spelling)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 04:49 am
Short answer - someone like Al Capone
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 04:57 am
Chai wrote:

long answer - as I have posted.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 05:37 am
contrex wrote:
Chai wrote:

long answer - as I have posted.

well....yes, it was a longer answer...but didn't answer the question.

literary pond wanted to know "who" was such a person, in America...not England, Australia or NZ.

Al Capone is an example of a labor racketeer in America, during the time period stated.

Also, your answer could have been much shorter and more informative if you didn't go off into one of your regular tangents about America vs. the World, with the connotation that if something is done in America is obviously can't be quite right.
What does the spelling of labor vs. labour have to do with the question? Obviously nothing.

Oh wait, I know....it's so you can show your tiresome condescending disdain.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 06:17 am
Don't be silly. The poster is learning English. I did not know, as I would have with a native speaker, that they did not mean "What was a labor racketeer", rather than "who was a labour racketeer".

Also, I just helpfully pointed out that the word "labor" is spelled different ways in different parts of the English speaking world. I made no value judgments about that fact at all.

You are the defensive one. You have much to be defensive about, but not in this case.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 06:33 am
That is one lame answer, that even a child could see through.

and I am being helpful by pointing out that you use every opportunity to build yourself up, when in truth, it makes you looks like a pompous ass. In fact, it's apparent you do more than look like a pompous ass, you are one.

funny how anyone can turn words around, isn't it?

'nuff said...literary pond got his answer, and I'm moving on. You've bored me with your usual contrived retort.
0 Replies

literarypoland

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 08:43 am
OK, robbing the union
A good answer.
0 Replies