Eng. Lit.

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 03:15 am
A subject in American high schools (around 1980).

Probably English Literature, but the author analysed is purely American. So it's rather "English language literature", isn't it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 539 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 03:26 am
Australians students still study a subject called English Literature. It is a study of literature in the english language.

Books studied could be American, english, or Australian or indded originating in any country so long as the book was written in English.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 08:09 am
I took a course in British Literature ("BritLit") in high school back in the '70s. I don't think our school offered an American Literature course.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 10:09 am
The lower division requirements of my Alma Mater at Ashland, Oregon, included: English (6 terms, we were on the Quarter System), Survey of World Literature (3 terms), English/American Literature (3 terms), World History (6 terms), American History (6 terms), Introduction to Philosophy, Introduction to Art (1 term), Introduction to Music (1 term), 1 term each of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics, and Physical Education (6 terms, each term for a different course; Golf, Tennis, Skiing, Track & Field, Football, Baseball, Bowling, and a few others I've since forgotten). In addition we had to take a number of electives for a total of half of the total requirement for graduation. Two essential years building the foundations for later learning. Almost everyone lived on campus, and there were no "co-ed" living arrangements. To receive a grade less than a "C" got you countless interviews with guidance counselors and mentors.

My time at Ashland was one of the most important educational experiences of my life, and in many ways superior to my experiences with the University of California and the University of Souther California. Without Ashland, I doubt that I would have done so well with my later education.
0 Replies

literarypoland

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 11:58 am
Thanks everyone!
Somehow the Australian answer seems most convincing.
0 Replies

literarypoland

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 05:01 am
OK, perhaps starting with English authors, then a mixture of both worlds.
0 Replies