Oped: Democrats have 'let down' the American people

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 03:53 pm
RAW STORY
Published: Sunday May 20, 2007

"The Americans who voted the Democrats into power have been let down," writes Monroe Anderson in his Sunday Chicago Sun Times editorial.

Last week the Democrat-controlled senate shot down the Feingold-Reid Iraq Bill that would have cut funding for the Iraq war by March 31, 2008, thereby forcing the president to bring the troops home.

"The bill was defeated even as three U.S. soldiers remain missing and the death toll in Iraq is rising," chides Anderson. "The bill was defeated even as our puppet Iraqi government continues with its plans for a two-month vacation while the American men and women serving in their country are getting three months added to their yearlong tours of duty. The bill was defeated even as reports of poor care at Walter Reed Hospital for the mounting number of wounded troops is barely yesterday's news."

The new majority party is "too timid," says Anderson, and it is hard to distinguish them from minority party they were last year.

By yielding "to the oxymoron argument that we have to support the troops by keeping them in the line of fire," he writes, the Democrats have prolonged "George W. Bush's nightmarish Middle East misadventure."

Excerpts follow:
link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,184 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 12:18 pm
Unfortunately, the "new" majority is barely a majority, and cannot wield the kind of power those of us wish it could. It sucks, but what else can be done other than to attempt something that resembles a compromise in order to get the troops what they need?

Bush is a lame duck, and he knows it as he continues being the most arrogant and assinine President in modern American history.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 01:41 pm
I'd hate to have to get my updates by reading graffiti. You two are really a piece of work.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 02:03 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I'd hate to have to get my updates by reading graffiti. You two are really a piece of work.

Turn your updates off.

Care to actually comment, or would you rather resign yourself to puerile commentary?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 02:05 pm
You voted for 'em. Smile
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 02:13 pm
cjhsa wrote:
You voted for 'em. Smile

You voted for Bush.

Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 02:19 pm
So?

http://mwhodges.home.att.net/2004-election-map.gif
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 02:26 pm
cjhsa wrote:
So?

http://mwhodges.home.att.net/2004-election-map.gif

And that proves what?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 03:52 pm
This map is much better.......a whole lot of PURPLE. 51% is not a HUGE majority as you would like to believe.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/countymaplinearlarge.png
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 05:50 am
That map is meaningless, unlike the one I posted. Remember, it's a republic.
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 07:06 am
Democrats have always let down the American people. Wink
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 10:35 am
cjhsa wrote:
That map is meaningless, unlike the one I posted. Remember, it's a republic.

And yet you seem rather afraid of seeing how Americans truly vote.

We all know it's a Republic. But this map merely reveals who voted for President. It by no means reflects the Congressional elections.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 11:03 am
I am very afraid. Stupid is as stupid does.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 11:08 am
cjhsa wrote:
I am very afraid. Stupid is as stupid does.

Do tell us what that's like.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 11:40 am
Funny. I recall that when the Republicans "controlled" Congress, their majority was no larger than that of the Democrats today.

Yet, many call the Republican Congress as pure evil?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 12:10 pm
woiyo wrote:
Funny. I recall that when the Republicans "controlled" Congress, their majority was no larger than that of the Democrats today.

What? The Republians had a 55-45 majority in the Senate. That's enough to pass a lot of bills.

The Dems have a 51-49, and Lieberman's practically a Republican. That's not enough to pass a lot of bills.

C'mon, be honest, man

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 12:54 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:

What? The Republians had a 55-45 majority in the Senate. That's enough to pass a lot of bills.

The Dems have a 51-49, and Lieberman's practically a Republican. That's not enough to pass a lot of bills.

C'mon, be honest, man

Cycloptichorn

In 2002 it was 51-48. Many, many bills passed in the 2002 session.

Want to try again?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 01:01 pm
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:

C'mon, be honest, man

Cycloptichorn

Want to try again?

Well, when you have a president who won't veto the bills you send him, it's easier to get them passed.

It isn't as if the Dems haven't sent bills to the prez - he's just vetoed them. Not their fault.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 01:17 pm
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:

C'mon, be honest, man

Cycloptichorn

Want to try again?

It's still barely a majority when you consider Lieberman pretending to be a Democrat and Cheney as the deciding vote.

It was also pre-9/11, before Bush decided to sh!t on the Constitution for political gain, especially when he got his rubber stamping Congress in November of 2002, by a whopping 55 to 45.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 01:32 pm
reverend hellh0und wrote:
Democrats have always let down the American people. Wink

I guess that explains why they got voted back into power. Laughing
0 Replies