Calorie controlled diets- does your body get used to it?

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 10:55 am
I just read this whilst looking up diets on the internet.
Please tell me it isn't true! Please!

Quote:

The reason you cannot lose weight by starving yourself (using a low calorie diet) is because your metabolism will detect any major drop in calories and it will then ADJUST ITSELF by burning fewer calories each day.

For example:
If you begin eating 2,500 calories per day then your metabolism will adjust itself so that your body begins burning 2,500 calories per day.

If you try to starve yourself by suddenly eating 1,000 calories per day then your metabolism will again ADJUST ITSELF so that your body begins to burn only 1,000 calories per day. That's why you have failed in your past dieting attempts, that's why you always seem to fail when you try and starve yourself.

Now you know the reason why you can eat 1,000 calories per day and not lose any weight while your friends can eat 2,500 calories per day and not gain any weight.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,693 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 01:50 pm
Pentacle Queen--

Quote:
The reason you cannot lose weight by starving yourself (using a low calorie diet) is because your metabolism will detect any major drop in calories and it will then ADJUST ITSELF by burning fewer calories each day.

This statement is essentially correct, but vastly simplified.

The key word here is "major". A normal person's diet fluctuates around a median point. Suppose you need 2000 calories a day to maintain weight.

On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday you eat 2200 calories. On Thursday, Friday and Saturday you eat 1800 calories. On Sunday you eat 2000 calories.

Through the week you've neither gained nor lost.

Now if you go from 2000 calories a day to 1000 calories a day, your body will go into famine mode. Your metabolism will slow down and you'll burn fewer calories.

Now if you eat only 1750 calories a day for a week, your body thinks all is usual and you'll lose almost a half a pound. If you burn an extra 250 a day, you'll lose about a pound a week.

You didn't put your weight on by eating 3000 calories a day--it crept up on you. You have to lose it the way you gained it--slowly.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 03:56 pm
Thanks noddy-
In september I lost a lot of weight by dropping down from about 2000 to 1300 callories a day (roughly)
I put it all back on over a couple of months, and now I eat about 1600-1800 a day, but I'm trying to loose weight, so should I go back to eating 1300 a day?
I was also thinking about doing a bit more exercise and only having carbs for breakfast and lunch.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 04:21 pm
To maintain body weight the average person needs 15 calories a pound.

If you weigh 200 pounds, you need 3000 a day.

Each pound of fat has 3500 calories.

Therefore if your two hundred pound man cut back 250 calories and excercised and burned 250 calories at the end of a week he'd have lost a pound.

I'm not a great believer in eliminating carbs from the diet, but it works for some people.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 02:35 am
In this case I think exercise seems to be the best way of lossing weight. I think that I will just try and eat healthilly, and do more exercise.
Thanks Noddy!
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 02:38 am
I have to disagree. Exercise is good and fine but without calorie control you might never lose much weight. My calorie controlled diet works a treat, and I love doing it, the web resources are useful and it's changed my eating a lot. I used to eat healthily, but too many calories. Now I don't.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 02:49 pm
Here is a diet plan I think I might try for a week to see what happens:
I think it combines the eating less callories diet, with eating less carbs and combination diet.

morning:
bannana, plus wheat cerial/ porridge with soya milk (I can't eat dairy)

lunch:
vegetable ommlet or
salad with chicken/fish

tea:
vegetables with chicken or fish.

snacks: fruit
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 04:08 pm
that looks fine, but check the calories on that breakfast... the amount you eat is important. I eat more bread now I'm calorie controlled, but have substituted Nimble for other.. and medium eggs for large etc.
And there's nothing like Belgian Chocolate Options for a fairly low calorie treat when you just need that chocobuzz.
0 Replies