Father charged with burning baby in microwave

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 07:31 am
Quote:
HOUSTON (Reuters) - A teenage father has been indicted in Texas on charges he burned his 2-month-old daughter in a hotel microwave oven, a prosecutor said on Thursday.

Joshua Mauldin, 19, who was visiting Galveston, Texas, from Arkansas with family members, was indicted by a grand jury on one charge of felony injury to a child, said Assistant District Attorney Xochitl Vandiver.

The charge carries a prison sentence of five to 99 years, Vandiver said. Mauldin was being held in the county jail in Galveston, on $250,000 (126,600 pound) bond, a jail spokesman said.

The baby girl was hospitalized with burns on her face and one hand, according to television and newspaper reports.

"Her injuries are pretty significant," said Vandiver, who prosecutes child-abuse charges. She called the case, "unusual and horrific. I've never seen anything like it."

Mauldin initially told police the baby was burned when he stumbled and spilled hot water on her, according to the Houston Chronicle. Later, he said he placed the baby into the microwave oven because he was under stress, the newspaper said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 981 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 07:34 am
a case where the death penalty is appropriate...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 07:40 am
I say, lets strap im in front of one of the radar beacons on the DEW Line. and turn it up to defrost.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 07:42 am
I hope his time in prison hurts so bad he need a colostomy bag..
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 07:46 am
That's the first time I've heard of someone placing a baby in a microwave as a means of reducing stress. Good friggin lord. Couldn't he have had a cigarette or something?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 07:48 am
The father brought his family to Houston, where he planned to begin the process of becoming a minister. In his home state, he had been guilty of spousal abuse, I think. The baby's condition has been upgraded.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 08:13 am
My guess is that at some point earlier in the day the baby was getting more attention than he was. Jealousy is an ugly emotion.

Where was the baby's mother?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 05:21 pm
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 04:56 am
Quote:
"He would never do anything to hurt her. He loves her," she said. "When she cries he is the one who comforts her. When she is sick, he is the one that takes her to the doctor.
, "

"And when she catches a chill, hes the one that puts her in the microwave"
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 05:04 am
I hope they both never see their daughter again!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 05:40 am
Shocked
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
a case where the death penalty is appropriate...
Amen
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 06:58 am
wtf????? Shocked

It boggles my mind to see people do this kind of thing to animals, but to do it to your own child???
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 10:10 am
And this didn't happen in Florida?

A microwave - didn't he ever see what happens to peeps in those things?
0 Replies