Flying on trans-atlantic flight in 2nd month of pregnancy?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 09:35 pm
I don't think Gus is the dad.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 10:01 pm
Well. For now she has a ticket booked (not bought) and i have sent her to go see an "expensive" doctor (we pay) to have a comprehensive blood test done. From what I read of beth's sources, if she doesn't have anemia or sickle cell disease or whatever else they might find, she'll be fine. But I want to make sure she's checked by a professional before. I don't want to be responsible for ruining someone's life! Gah, I just want to be a lowly clerk sans responsibility. This makes my head hurt.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:06 am
It must be Gus - the time he's been away ...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 06:59 am
I think, don't know for sure, that the idea is that it's good to avoid traveling while your risk for miscarriage is high and not that traveling increases the risk of miscarriage. Ideally you should remain near reliable health care in case you do miscarry. (I didn't see anything about the types of travel to avoid.) In her case, it sounds like she'd do better to be here in case of miscarriage.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 07:56 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I think, don't know for sure, that the idea is that it's good to avoid traveling while your risk for miscarriage is high and not that traveling increases the risk of miscarriage.

That's how I understood most of it. Since the first trimester is riskiest, it's the time to avoid anything with any 'wobble' factor. It's not always clear in the first couple of months whether the woman is in fact having a high-risk pregnancy, so it's, in general, a time to be cautious.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 10:22 am
Confused ... i don't know what to tell her. ultimately i think she'll do what i tell her.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 10:29 am
Just make sure she gets up and moves around a little. Sitting in one place for hours ain't good for the circulation.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 10:32 am
i don't think she'll even have a noticeable belly yet. her circulation should be fine. she just may have more pronounced morning sickness on the plane, they say.

i know that she should be almost perfectly alright, but what if something happens? how could i live with that? I think i need to tell her all the assurances, but also all the risks, have her get that blood test done, and ultimately decide on her own. that's too much responsibility to carry for myself to decide for her. Sigh.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 10:38 am
No reasonable reason not to - I flew at various stages of pregnancies (other than the very end). The best time to fly is during the second trimester though as you tend to feel most comfortable - I flew across country at the furthest along 6-7 months - I wouldn't suggest flying later.

The only thing I can think that would be bad is if at 2 months you are nauseous a lot. That would be uncomfortable -many women feel sick during the first few months - if it isn't that bad where you are not throwing up - just make sure you have some snacks like saltines and something to drink - that will help with the sick feeling.

One thought - could you talk with your OB/GYN or perhaps another would be willing to give their opinion?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 10:42 am
Just don't send her through the X-ray machine.
0 Replies