Who is good with vocabulary?

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 12:07 pm
What i posted above is a passage from Caxton's Mallory--that is, it is part of the book Le Morte d'Arthur, by Thomas Mallory, which was published in 1485 by William Caxton, England's first great printer and publisher. The point of it was to show an example of early modern English--that version has been "modernized," and i was unable to quickly find online an exact copy of Caxton's Mallory. However, it was to show that vocabulary changes over time, even in a language which one is still able to read after more than 500 years.

The point about reading the OED is just what CdK pointed out--an entry in the OED lists every definition of a word which is known to have been used, and it lists the earliest known citations for the word.

So, for example, we have the word nice. What nice means today bears no relation to what it originally meant. The word derives from a Latin word for ignorant, and in Middle English it meant foolish, or wanton. So the OED might give "wanton or profligate" as one of the definitions of nice, point out that this is an archaic and obsolete definition, and then quote Shakespeare:

"For when mine hours
Were nice and lucky,
Men did ransom lives
Of me for jests"

"For when mine hours were nice and lucky" means when the speaker spent his time wantonly (carelessly, and perhaps immorally) in whatever pursuits came to him by chance. People would use the word nice ironically, but others who were irony challenged did not understand and thought that the word nice actually meant pleasing or agreeable. Now, that is the only reasonable definition for nice, because all the earlier, negative definitions are forgotten.

If you look up a word in the OED, you'll learn a whole hell of a lot more about that word, and our language, and how languages develop than you will by just pulling out the American Heritage.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 12:13 pm
I third the OED. Best book investment I ever made.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 12:42 pm
The OED is expensive and so large that it is beyond the reach of most students in far away places who are trying to learn the language. However, it is the definitive source for English word usage. The full set would be a jewel in any scholar's private library. For most of us it is available at a well stocked public library when we need it. Ah, there are so many books and so little time to absorb even the cream of what's available. Then there's light reading that we pursue for the pure pleasure and enjoyment of a rousing good story that doesn't tax our minds too much. I love em all, the thick and the thin, the wisest tomes and the most profane. Bless 'em all, bless 'em all.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 12:44 pm
One reason that the English language has such a vast vocabulary is that we borrow so many words from other languages. So we have the word gully, which derives from Old English. But we also have the word arroyo, taken from Spanish, and we have the word coulee, taken from French--but all three words mean the same thing.

Another reason for the large vocabulary is that so many words have become obsolete. A fine example of this is the verb hight. Hight means to call, or to be called, or to call oneself. For example, once again from Caxton's Mallory: "He hight him La Cote Mal Taile." This means: "He called himself the Ill-Fitting Coat." Here, the word coat means the smock-like garment that men once wore over their other clothing. There are, literally, pages of citations in the OED for the word hight--but it has not been used for four hundred years.
0 Replies

jd015

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 12:52 pm
If anyone wants to compete in the Vocab contest then go here.
Winwithwords

Fifty finalists from the 2006-07 National Vocabulary Championship were flown to New York City to compete in the NVC Finals for the title of National Vocabulary Champion and $40,000 toward college tuition. Click here to meet the 50 finalists!

The NVC will be featured in a special program that will air during Win With Words Week on GSN, Sunday, April 15 at 8PM/7c. Click here to view a full list of vocabulary-inspired programming.

COMPETE IN THE 2007-2008 NATIONAL VOCABULARY CHAMPIONSHIP

There are TWO ways eligible students will be able to enter the NVC: either by entering the National Qualifying Competition or by entering the Citywide Championship in selected cities across the country. Complete details and Official Rules will be posted prior to commencement of the 2007-2008 NVC, so please make sure you return to this site frequently or join our Mailing List to receive program alerts.

National Qualifying Competition

If you are an eligible high school student in grades 9-12 and between the ages of 13 and 19, but do not attend a participating school (listed under Citywide Championship) or do not wish to take the in-school qualifying exam, below are the steps you need to take to participate in the National Qualifying Competition (may be subject to change):

Step 1: Online Qualifying Exam

The NVC will be offering an online qualifying exam sometime during November 2007. Sample questions and test format will be available on this site in 2007. In the meantime, you can brush up on your vocabulary by visiting our Study Tools section and downloading the Study Modules provided by The Princeton Review.

Step 2: Regional Exam

Top-scoring students on the online qualifying exam will have an opportunity to advance to the regional exam. The top 42 performers on the regional exam, along with the eight citywide champions, will receive a trip to compete in the NVC Finals where the ultimate champion will win $40,000 toward college tuition!

Citywide Championship

The NVC will be visiting eight cities this year and will be awarding cash toward college tuition, grants and study materials from The Princeton Review to the local champions and their schools. One winner from each city will win $5,000 toward college tuition and an opportunity to move on to the NVC Finals for a chance at an additional $40,000!

Eligible students who want to compete in one of the local Citywide Championships must attend a participating high school, register with the designated NVC coach at their school, and take the NVC in-school qualifying exam. One hundred top scorers per city will be invited to participate in the applicable Citywide Championship. Each of the eight winners of the Citywide Championships will receive a trip to compete in the NVC Finals.

Below is a list of cities that the NVC will be visiting this year (may be subject to change):

Cleveland
Detroit
Nashville
New York City
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Sacramento
St. Louis
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 12:54 pm
Asherman wrote:
I love em all, the thick and the thin, the wisest tomes and the most profane. Bless 'em all, bless 'em all.

Hear, hear!

Oxford University Press publishes many versions. The full-sized one is probably very, very expensive and needs a small crane to move it, so yes it would be difficult for the average person to own. I just checked and what I have is the Oxford Encyclopedic English Dictionary -- about 5 hefty pounds of wonder. I don't remember what I paid but probably around $40 -$60. It's possible to find them at used book stores.
0 Replies

jd015

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 10:40 am
Did anyone else happen to watch the Spelling bee yesterday?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 12:51 pm
Raboida started a thread on the Spelling Bee here--clickity click!
0 Replies