Choosing a Baby Formula

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 06:13 pm
Quote:
I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but your baby will actually decide on the formula preferred.

BINGO

and they will decide what diapers they want - ya know, skin rashes and all

and what clothes they want - irritating tightness, itchy fabrics

and what laundry soap to use - skin rashes

what foods they will eat - diarrhea, constipation, spitting it back out

what toys they like - kinda self explanitory that one is

and when they want to sleep - i wish you luck there

and what size of diaper bag you need - do you have a baby that poops alot? Pees OUTSIDE the diaper no matter what you do? you will need more clothes + daipers

what kind of nipples to use - Frankly, just pick anyone. And stick with it. THe very first one will be the one that is familiar. A hungry baby will NEVER always say no to a nipple. No way . No how.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:05 am
Just wanted to update you all...

I spoke with my ob regarding this and he was ok with it.

His suggestion is to start with the formula that the hospital gives me and go from there or take whatever formula I want to try with me to the hospital and tell them that is what I want to start using. He said even if I had a milk allergy as a baby that I should not use soy right away, that I should try a milk based formula.

He didn't pressure me to breastfeed. He didn't launch into a speech about how I should breastfeed. And he didn't make me feel bad about my decision. He simply gave me the answer to the question I had asked.

Now, I think my doctor is a good doctor. He's been practicing for 25+ years ( I can't remember how long). He runs his own practice for high risk pregnancies. If he didn't pitch a fit about me not breastfeeding, I think that my decision can't be all that bad and I feel ok about it.

Thanks to everyone for any input (even if it was unsolicited :wink: ). You are all valuable sources of information for me. Even if it's not the answer I want to hear. Being the "other opinion" never stopped you all before so please feel free to answer my questions whenever you so desire. It's always helpful to hear all sides and all options. You never know when you've missed something.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:23 am
It sounds like you have a good doctor who gives good advice, bella. That's important and can be hard to come by.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 11:17 am
I found that most doctors were sensible about their advice. I found that most nurses were the opposite - not that they weren't sensible, but they tended to go overboard on the natural is better stuff.

My first baby had jaudice. The doctor said to give her formula after I breast fed her to ensure she was getting enough to flush out the jaudice. When the nurse came in and saw me doing this she got all huffy - all that is needed is mother's milk, etc. she went on and on after I explained why I was doing both. I stuck with the doctor's advice and just let the nurse rant.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 12:25 pm
I've made no secret about my preference for breastfeeding. In most cases, it's by far the best option for lots and lots of reasons. I breastfed SonofEva until he was 13 months old, and I'm so glad I did. He has been exceptionally healthy. He has had none of the allergies and respiratory infections my siblings and I had as children in the days when all babies were bottlefed.

That said, I now take thyroid medicine, and if I had to make the decision today, I wouldn't breastfeed for that reason alone. I wouldn't want to pass on that kind of medication to a growing infant. It's powerful stuff, and I wouldn't want to mess with my baby's metabolism in any way, shape or form.

Isn't it funny...those of us who choose breastfeeding have to deal with the disapproval of our families and friends and unsupportive hospitals, doctors and employers. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. So make your decision based on what you believe is the absolute best you can do for your child...not what anyone else tells you. You and the child have to live with your decision, not anyone else.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 12:32 pm
Eva wrote:

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Ain't that the truth.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 05:47 pm
You're on top of things mama Bella :-D

Happy trails :-D
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:34 pm
Bella, if you're gonna use formula, do your homework and pick one that has the best ingredients. Don't just automatically use whatever the hospital gives you. The formula companies give hospitals free samples in hopes you'll stick with the brand you try first. (A lot of people do...it's easy.) The hospitals don't choose formulas...they hand out whatever they can get for free.

They also gave us a handful of formula coupons and a few free bottles of formula in a canvas tote with "Enfamil" printed on it when we checked out, even though they knew we were breastfeeding. "Just in case you change your mind," they said.

Formula companies consider hospitals prime marketing locations.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:51 pm
Half time scores

gus 64

bella 612

but not identical so i can post
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:00 am
Eva wrote:
Bella, if you're gonna use formula, do your homework and pick one that has the best ingredients. Don't just automatically use whatever the hospital gives you. The formula companies give hospitals free samples in hopes you'll stick with the brand you try first. (A lot of people do...it's easy.) The hospitals don't choose formulas...they hand out whatever they can get for free.

They also gave us a handful of formula coupons and a few free bottles of formula in a canvas tote with "Enfamil" printed on it when we checked out, even though they knew we were breastfeeding. "Just in case you change your mind," they said.

Formula companies consider hospitals prime marketing locations.

I was really looking into this Good Start Natural Cultures formula. It is one of the newest formulas out there.

I am going ot talk to my ob about it more next week at my 32 week (GASP!) checkup.

Thanks Eva!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:58 am
You're welcome!

Are they testing your thyroid levels regularly during pregnancy? They may need to adjust your medication level several times during the next few months. Late pregnancy and postpartum bring on lots of metabolic changes.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 08:32 am
Yeah, I've been on the high end for most of this pregnancy but still ok.

Once I have the baby it's back to my endocrinologist for a check up. My ob has been handling my thyroid through pregnancy but once baby is out, I am going back to get tested and find out what my dose should be adjusted to postpartum.

How long should I wait before heading back? I know that my hormones will be all outta whack after birth.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 03:40 pm
Your thyroid levels will change abruptly at birth, then see-saw for awhile until they stabilize. That's why I said you may have to adjust your medication a few times. Ask your endocrinologist NOW about what to expect and when to be tested.

(My problem is hypo, not hyper, so I can't tell you.)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 07:01 am
Hm. Yeah, I suppose I better call him. I am taking my meds now to keep my thyroid at least partially stable so I wouldn't be going cold turkey but I am afraid I'll go the other way and become hypo because of the meds.

So you're right. I will give him a call and make my appointment before the birth.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 10:12 am
Definitely keep in touch with the endocrinologist around the time of the birth.

My best friend had to be re-tested and have her meds adjusted on a weekly basis for some time after the birth of her first son. Took several months for her to stabilize. I think she was a bit of a worst-case scenario in terms of her instability, but you need to stay on top of it.

Make sure your husband's monitoring you fairly closely in terms of your reactions to temperature changes, fatigue ... that sort of thing.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 12:56 pm
Oh, she'll be fatigued no matter what her thyroid levels are! Laughing

But Bella probably already knows the signs of hypo- & hyperthyroidism pretty well. If she's unusually cold, has dry skin, etc., it's too low. If she's constantly hot, can't sleep, mind racing, etc., it's too high. But only a blood test can determine the level of medication needed. You know this stuff, right, Bella? (Still can't hurt to ask hubby to check on you.)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 01:01 pm
Yeah, I know. My symptoms were pretty obvious..the problem at the time was I just didn't know they were all connected!

Now I do. And I have an appointment with my endo on July 9th. Very Happy
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 01:27 pm
Great!

Now...on to the next worry..... Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 01:28 pm
Don't get me started....

Some days I am totally ok with labor. I am like "yeah, I can do this, it can't be THAT bad, millions of women do it every day and some more than once!" Then other days, I am like "oh god, I can't, I can't, I can't do this...."
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 05:14 pm
Have you started Lamaze classes yet?
0 Replies