Multivitamins and Prostate Cancer

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:49 pm
Multivitamins linked to prostate cancer
TOO many vitamins can increase the risk of deadly prostate cancer, research suggests.

Scientists in the US investigated the impact of vitamin use on cancer in 295,344 men in a diet and health study.

After five years, they found a surprising link between rates of advanced and fatal prostate cancer and men who regularly took multivitamins.

Those who used the supplements more than once a day were significantly more likely to suffer dangerous advanced forms of the disease than men who took no multivitamins.

The explanation for the findings, published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, remains a mystery.

Dr Karia Lawson, at the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Maryland, wrote: "Our findings of a markedly increased prostate cancer risk among men using multivitamin supplements is of concern and warrants further research."

They are going to have to convince me before I quit taking my vitamins. There are so many studies out that are meant to cast doubt on anything one does that fails to pay homage to the drug companies, I tend to immediately dismiss their findings. - edgarblythe
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,120 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 12:02 am
Oh, great....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 07:15 am
One of many stories here:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/healthnews.php?newsid=71142

I've read that America is full of obese people and our sewers are full of water soluble vitamins.

Some people who self-medicate, overdose.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 08:54 am
Noddy24 wrote:

I've read that America is full of obese people and our sewers are full of water soluble vitamins.

Are you saying that fat people are responsible for the sewer problem? Question
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 09:09 am
Re: Multivitamins and Prostate Cancer
edgarblythe wrote:
Dr Karia Lawson, at the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Maryland, wrote: "Our findings of a markedly increased prostate cancer risk among men using multivitamin supplements is of concern and warrants further research."

I have heard this theory before. A lady I knew in the 1980's was diagnosed as having cancer in some of her abdominal organs. She died within weeks of the diagnosis. This lady was known for taking a large amount of vitamin supplements. A nurse I knew speculated that the vitamins aggravated the growth of the cancer.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 01:21 pm
a personal experience
--------------------------
about 10 years ago i read a lot about the benefits of taking vitamin E -
i seem to recall that it was sugested it's good for your heart .
i took the smallest dose available - 200 units , i believe .
after a few months i started to have have some unusual gastro-intestinal problems , nothing serious - just bothersome .
i happened to read a sports-medicine book and came across an article stating that while many athletes - i'm not one Shocked - benefit from vit E , some people cannot tolerate any additional vit E .
i stopped taking the vit E and my problems went away - and of story .
our physician - a fairly experienced GP - does not think vitamin pills are of much use if one eats a balanced diet .
... and vit C gives me the runs Rolling Eyes
hbg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 02:32 pm
Miller--

Quote:
Are you saying that fat people are responsible for the sewer problem?

Nope. Just being superficial.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 05:25 pm
"Hold your dominion".
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 10:15 pm
Re: Multivitamins and Prostate Cancer
edgarblythe wrote:
Multivitamins linked to prostate cancer
TOO many vitamins can increase the risk of deadly prostate cancer, research suggests.

Scientists in the US investigated the impact of vitamin use on cancer in 295,344 men in a diet and health study.

After five years, they found a surprising link between rates of advanced and fatal prostate cancer and men who regularly took multivitamins.

Those who used the supplements more than once a day were significantly more likely to suffer dangerous advanced forms of the disease than men who took no multivitamins.

The explanation for the findings, published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, remains a mystery.

They are going to have to convince me before I quit taking my vitamins. There are so many studies out that are meant to cast doubt on anything one does that fails to pay homage to the drug companies, I tend to immediately dismiss their findings. - edgarblythe

Which vitamins were you taking?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 04:48 am
On closer reading, it says
Those who used the supplements more than once a day
That's not so dire as the headline.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 08:35 pm
doesn't testosterone do that as well? Ah, it's great to be a man....
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 01:39 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
One of many stories here:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/healthnews.php?newsid=71142

Some people who self-medicate, overdose.

Very frequently, over dosage of a specific vitamin results in increased urinary excretion of that vitamin. Often detected by visual inspection of the urine's color.
0 Replies