Is the Postal Service run by the Democrats?

okie

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 01:04 pm
Setanta wrote:
Let's see--i can send a letter to Parados to tell him how goofy Okie's thread is for the price of a first class stamp (41 cents), or i can send it UPS for $15.50. Or i can send it Fed Ex for $16.75.

Hmmm . . .

Hmmm . . .

Somebody wanna help me with the math here?

Hmmm.... then how come many people use UPS or Fed Ex to do it? Price is only one factor. There is such a thing as reliability, efficient door to door delivery, ease of detailed tracking, etc.

You guys making fun of Oklahoma, thanks, I have thick skin, have your fun, but just watch this scenario play out, then don't complain if I have to come back and tell you, "I told ya so." I am going to predict that I am not the only one saying this stuff, increasingly as people deal with it.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 01:48 pm
okie wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Let's see--i can send a letter to Parados to tell him how goofy Okie's thread is for the price of a first class stamp (41 cents), or i can send it UPS for $15.50. Or i can send it Fed Ex for $16.75.

Hmmm . . .

Hmmm . . .

Somebody wanna help me with the math here?

Hmmm.... then how come many people use UPS or Fed Ex to do it? Price is only one factor. There is such a thing as reliability, efficient door to door delivery, ease of detailed tracking, etc.

You guys making fun of Oklahoma, thanks, I have thick skin, have your fun, but just watch this scenario play out, then don't complain if I have to come back and tell you, "I told ya so." I am going to predict that I am not the only one saying this stuff, increasingly as people deal with it.

Dude, I use Federal Express all the time, and I also have to send redundant copies via DHL or World Courier because too often they've lost sh!t that needed to be there on-time. Plus, sometimes their tracking goes haywire and packages get entirely lost. People generally send stuff through these services because of the next day delivery, especially in the morning hours, not because of the price.

As far as I'm concerned, you seem to be the only one saying this stuff, and it's mostly due to your ignorance regarding these other services and why they are used. Add to that your obvious disdain for Democrats, enough so to make up such ridiculous tripe in the OP.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 02:10 pm
Why, yes young fella', right on the nose! I guess we couldn't fool a smart guy like you too long, Democrats, unlike Republicans actual own parts of goverrnment, while Republicans are content to rent-out you might say, but they pay a whole lot renting the Defense and Justice Departments.

But you know those crazy Democrats, who would rather own Ocean Ave inner city slums and a few Rail Roads while the wealthy concentrate on the higher end Pacific Ave and Boardwalk parts of government to run.

So yes, the Democratic Party actually "owns" the Postal Service, the Coast Guard, 3/5's of the USDAs chicken sanitation slaughter trucks, and a small park or hunting lodge in up-state Pennsylanvia, so when you see a postal carrier peering into your window he's looking for evidence to use against a patriot like you are.

btw: we use the trucks at night to smuggle in latinos over the border, so they can vote illegally
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 04:01 pm
kuvasz wrote:
btw: we use the trucks at night to smuggle in latinos over the border, so they can vote illegally

Goddamnit, Kuv, you keep spillin' stuff like this. If you don't learn to keep a zip on your lip, we're gonna kick you outta the international communist conspiracy.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 04:31 pm
I expected all you guys fun with this. If you love the Postal Service, wonderful, to each his own, but personally I have had more stuff slow and lost, by far, by sending with the Postal Service than any other service. This new rate setup is a bad one in my opinion, as confirmed by one of their own employees yesterday at the counter. Some of their little rules about what makes a mailing a letter, a flat, or whatever are actually quite hilarious. I do not predict it to last. If you guys love it, I am happy for you.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 04:34 pm
okie wrote:
I expected all you guys fun with this. If you love the Postal Service, wonderful, to each his own, but personally I have had more stuff slow and lost, by far, by sending with the Postal Service than any other service. This new rate setup is a bad one in my opinion, as confirmed by one of their own employees yesterday at the counter. Some of their little rules about what makes a mailing a letter, a flat, or whatever are actually quite hilarious. I do not predict it to last. If you guys love it, I am happy for you.

Yes, we all understand that Anecdotal Evidence trumps each and every form of Proof available.

It isn't that anyone loves the postal service (other than the band, who are not bad) but that you're so damned against this service, that, why, it's just too tempting not to argue against. You set yourself up for this sort of thing.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 04:58 pm
Setanta wrote:
Idiocy is in the eye of the beholder. I reported your post, although these days, it may not elicit a response.

You allege that e-mail is free. Therefore, one can only assume that you get your electricity for free, that you get your internet connection for free, and that you got your computer for free. Otherwise, your e-mail is not free.

Sorry, i didn't realize that you would need to have things that simple explained to you.

Indeed it is.

Here you, and every other poster here, are posting on an internet forum.

Most of us use computers to do that and have some sort of ISP in which they connect to the internet. They must have electricity or some way to recharge the batteries.

Yahoo email is free, as is a wide variety of other provifers that offer email services.

That is to those that already have computers, an internet connection and electricity...

Sorry, I didn't realize that you would need to have things that simple explained to you.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 05:04 pm
Quote:

Yahoo email is free, as is a wide variety of other provifers that offer email services.

Geez, what a maroon.

It isn't free. It's paid for by advertising. The same way as the other 'free' email services.

Sheesh

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 05:13 pm
so you are one of those that clicks the advertising?

Barnum was correct I suppose.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 05:17 pm
McGentrix wrote:

SOMEONE sure does, as the sites - which use gobs of bandwidth, which all costs money - don't go down.

Please get with the program, McG. Do a little research on how the internet works before spouting off.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 05:24 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Idiocy is in the eye of the beholder. I reported your post, although these days, it may not elicit a response.

You allege that e-mail is free. Therefore, one can only assume that you get your electricity for free, that you get your internet connection for free, and that you got your computer for free. Otherwise, your e-mail is not free.

Sorry, i didn't realize that you would need to have things that simple explained to you.

Indeed it is.

Here you, and every other poster here, are posting on an internet forum.

Most of us use computers to do that and have some sort of ISP in which they connect to the internet. They must have electricity or some way to recharge the batteries.

That is to those that already have computers, an internet connection and electricity...

Sorry, I didn't realize that you would need to have things that simple explained to you.

dude, give it a rest. your thesis is akin to proclaiming that everything you see is free without mentioning that you have to rent out your eyeballs.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 05:37 pm
McGentrix wrote:
email is free.

That point is completely relative. It's only free to YOU if your friend or workplace allow you to send email. But there will always be a cost incurred for maintaining the infrastructure that allows you to send that email. It may SEEM free to you (thereby your generally false statement), but the company you work for pays for that ability to send email, as well as your friend. If you are logging on at home to send email via hotmail, then you are obviously paying the monthly fee to your ISP in order to maintain a connection.

The only true free way to send a message these days are smoke signals. Gather some kindling and rub a couple of sticks together. Get a blanket and smoke away.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 05:39 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Are one of those who believe the "internets" is a series of tubes?

Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 05:40 pm
Quote:

The only true free way to send a message these days are smoke signals. Gather some kindling and rub a couple of sticks together. Get a blanket and smoke away.

Not free!

The wood costs money, so does the blanket, and there is an environmental cost as well.

TINSTAAFL, man!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 05:46 pm
Setanta and kuvasz:

Thanks for some belly laughs.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 05:58 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Not free!

The wood costs money, so does the blanket, and there is an environmental cost as well.

TINSTAAFL, man!

Cycloptichorn

I'd say chop down a tree, but then you'd probably say you have to buy the ax first. Then I'd say you could find enough kindling lying around, but then you'd probably say one would have to pay the fee to actually be there.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Nothing in life is free anymore.

Except for maybe breathing.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 06:13 pm
Quote:

Yeah, I guess you're right. Nothing in life is free anymore.

It never was.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 07:55 pm
Re: Is the Postal Service run by the Democrats?
okie wrote:
Just an honest question. Am I the only one that woke up yesterday and decided to learn about the postal rates. I at first thought it had to be a joke, not the rise in rates, but the absolutely ridiculous rules to figure out what you are mailing: is it a "flat?" Or what is it? Measure it, then do the "flexibility" test. Ample instructions are provided if you have the time to do it. How thick is it? Get out your micrometers, people.

The reason I ask is it run by Democrats is, this had to be dreamed up by some bureaucrat that sat around in an office somewhere trying to justify his job. The man at the counter yesterday did not give the company line. He said it was the "death knell of the postal service, give it ten years at best."

The absolute stupidity of the rate schedules is mindboggling. But considering the vast majority of the budget is wages at the Postal Service, then maybe they want their people to have job security, standing at windows all day, explaining and serving the people, measuring the packages, doing the "flexibility" test, making change for oddball rates, the list is endless.

On second thought, maybe it was some union thug that dreamed this up, not some bureaucrat, still probably a Democrat. One thing is for sure, it is not anyone that understands the free market.
Just toss the mail into the mailbox without any postage or a return address...9 out of 10 times it won't go through; but for that 1 that it does, you've saved yourself a world of worry.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 08:56 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:

Yes, we all understand that Anecdotal Evidence trumps each and every form of Proof available.

It isn't that anyone loves the postal service (other than the band, who are not bad) but that you're so damned against this service, that, why, it's just too tempting not to argue against. You set yourself up for this sort of thing.

Cycloptichorn

When did I say I was against the service? The whole purpose of this thread was to point out that the recent rate setup, with all of its rules, is a bad one, and will not help the Postal Service compete. Instead of debating what was posted, everybody took the bait about the reference to Democrats, which was partly humor and partly serious and for the purpose of posting this on a political thread. Absolutely nobody addressed the specifics of the new rate setup, as to why they think it is so great and wonderful.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 09:04 am
okie wrote:

So, the people who run the postal service are idiots, and the guy behind the counter should actually be running the show?

Good luck with that....
0 Replies