Correct word

Dutchy

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 10:27 pm
I am completing a word puzzle. The clue reads "To pronounce with velar articulation" and the word required is 9 letters in length.

I have found the word "velarize" which is 8 letters. My question is, which is the correct English form, finishing the word "velarize' with an "S" or a "D" in view of the way the clue is phrased?

Perhaps there is another word which has escaped me. Any help is appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,733 • Replies: 25
No top replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 10:34 pm
Would palatized work ?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 10:43 pm
Dutchy, the clue seem more present tense than past tense to me.

Is there money on this?

Just post it to me.
Laughing
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 11:32 pm
The American spelling would be with a z. However, it's very unlikely that the puzzle would give part of the answer in the clue, so I doubt that velarize is correct.

I think that Lion Tamer is on the right track. However, I checked my dictionary, and the word is palatalize--9 letters. The definition works.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 12:01 am
Thank you LionTamerX, dadpad and Roberta for your input.

These are the letters I have from the word and made me think of "velarize (s) or (d):
?e?a?i?e?

Yes dadpad there is a prize, no money, but a handy Atlas of Australia just what you need I suppose. Laughing
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 03:12 am
Dutchy, The clue is an infinitive. The answer must also be an infinitive. Are you certain about that e? Also, the word you've shown is 8 letters, not 9.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 03:37 am
Hi Roberta.

As I understand it, infinitive is a form of a verb with no reference to a particular tense, person, or subject. In English , an infinitive is usually preceded by the word "to", as is the case here in 'to pronounce with velar articulation."

Like I said in my first posting, the word I have is 'velarize', what I don't know is, and what I would like to know, do I write the addidtional letter as an "s" or an "d" to make it a 9 letter word ,which is what they are asking for. In short is it "velarizes" or "velarized"?

(Roberta although I show an 8 letter word, I did include the letters 's' and 'd' to use either to make it a nine letter word. I trust you can follow me. Smile )
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 06:26 am
I follow you Dutchy. But I don't think you're following me. If you add a d or an s, the word is no longer an infinitive. Velarizes and velarized are both conjugated verbs--not infinitives.. Also, as I mentioned earlier, no crossword puzzle I've ever done would have velar as a clue for velarize.

Honest, Dutchy, I wouldn't steer you wrong on this. I've done hundreds and hundreds of crossword puzzles (mostly American and a few British).

Are you sure about the e going in the other direction?
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 07:28 am
Thank you for your clear explanation Roberta, I guess I have to keep searching for another word as the letters that I have are correct.

I have a couple of weeks up my sleeve, so have ample time, to do some more research. In the meantime any help is still very welcome.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 08:31 am
I dont usually do crosswords but this has me intriged. Whats the down clue that give you the first e Dutchy?
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 03:16 pm
Hi DadPad

These are the clues and answers that gave me the letters I have:

18a The fourth largest lake in in the world, in sw Russia lying between Kazakhstan in the north and Uzbekistan in the south (4,3) the answer I have is 'aralsea' which gives me the first "E"

23a Lake in West Africa, located in a country of the same name, surrounded by Libya, Niger, Nigeria, Sudan, Cameroon and the Central African Republic (4,4) the answer I have is 'lakechad' which gives me the letter "A"

27a An imaginary creature of Aboriginal legend, said to haunt rushy swamps and billabongs (6) the answer I have is 'bunyip' which gives me the letter "I"

29a A serpentine ridge of gravelly and sandy drift, formed by the streams under or in glacial ice (5) the answer I have is 'esker' which gives me the letter "E"

These 4 letters is all I can get as the remaining squares are all blanks, so what I have is this: ?E?A?I?E? I have to make the word fit the clue as stated in my firt post "to pronounce with velar articulation"

Any help would be appreciated.
0 Replies

ragdoll

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 07:00 pm
Duchy
Answer for velar articulation could be "voiceless".
Velar articulation means a double stop and it can be silent. This gives you the nine letters you are after but I don't know whether it will fit in with your answers within the crossword.
Hope this helps,
Ragdoll.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 08:59 pm
Thanks for your submission ragdoll, but as you can see in my previous posting 'voiceless' won't fit the criteria.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 04:50 pm
I've been dredging up my phonetics training but to no avail. A velar plosive would be k or g - pharyngeal, glottal or guttural sounds - and the French R is velar. But a sound word like 'growl' or 'gargle' won't fit in your squares. Nor will something like 'darken' which one would use of velar L.

One thing does seem clear, that it can't end in s or d, since the clue is an infinitive, as the other posters have said. So one must cast around for alternatives!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 07:11 pm
Thank you Clary for your elaborate submission. Will look forward to next month solution to this query. Smile
0 Replies

epenthesis

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 08:50 pm
This talk is so ineluctably unutterable it's the most ineffable I have ever heard - velarises indeed - give me back my 45 minutes or else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velar_consonant
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 09:30 pm
We have studied every relevant dictionary, including the one you mentioned epenthesis, to no avail. Your eloquent use of periphrastic words did not elucidate the answer either. Smile
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 01:07 am
Thanks Dutchy for sending me the offending puzzle.

I think, given the amazing obviousness of all the other clues I've seen (eg abessive whose clue is 'from the Latin abesse') it just has to be velarised or velarized, and you have to assume a sort of abessivity on the part of the compiler who put 'to' in the clue.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 11:40 pm
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 11:54 pm
Nope, Dutchy. If the clue is "pronounced," then the answer should be "velarized." (Same tense as the clue.) However, the sloppy puzzle-making here makes me wonder. If the person on the phone said that velarizes is right, then so be it.
0 Replies